Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
LOOKING for: Lil Smokie recipe

Posted by motherhubbard (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 21, 07 at 15:19

I have lost my recipe that I use every Christmas where you put them in the slow cooker with pineapple, bell pepper and I can't remember the other ingred. Any one make these?
Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: LOOKING for: Lil Smokie recipe

Is it a sweet and sour sauce? This is the one I use for sweet and sour meatballs:

Sweet & Sour Sauce

1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1 tablespoon corn starch
1 can (13&1/4 oz) pineapple chunks
1/3 cup vinegar
1 Tbls soy sauce
1 small green pepper, coarsely chopped

Mix brown sugar and cornstarch in skillet. Stir in pineapple (with syrup), vinegar and soy sauce. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly; reduce heat. Cover; simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes, or until sauce thickens to your desired thickness. Stir in green pepper. Cover and simmer for about two more minutes.
This is the perfect (according to family & friends) S&S Sauce and can be used for egg rolls, meatballs, chicken, shrimp, fried won-tons, egg foo yong - whatever...

o

I am expecting last minute company any minute....stopping in...can only stay a minute....do you have time for a drink....yeah sure...
And I opened the package....popped it into a fry pan with 1/2 a bottle of BBQ sauce and a 1/2 aw ine glass of chablis...
That...cheese and some veggies are it!!
Linda C

o

And in an hour the whole package was gone....and in another hour 1/2 the second package.
I've decided it doesn't much matter what you heat them in....the get eaten with relish!
Linda C

o

Thanks for all your answers and help. I did used to use the one posted by angelaid. Thanks a bunch and hope you all have wonderful holidays

o

Yes, red-neck hor d'oeuvres - little smokies and barbecue sauce. Everybody love 'em including me and I don't usually like barbecue sauce.

o

It's after the event, but my favorite for Lil Smokies is:

Bourbon Sausages

• 3 pound package of Lil Smokies
  • 1 cup dark brown sugar
  • 12 ounce bottle Heinz Chili Sauce
  • 12 ounces bourbon

Bake smokies for 30 minutes at 350 (to eliminate some grease). While smokies are cooking, mix sugar, chili sauce, bourbon in sauce pan. Cook until sauce is reduced and thick.

Add smokies to sauce and stir to coat. Serve immediately in chafing dish or can be made ahead and warmed before serving.

•  o

Did mine with grape jelly and bbq sauce! yummy!

o

Mine were made with grape jelly, mustard and worcestershire sauce. I can't take them to a pot luck because everybody else is making them now!

o

My MIL wraps them in a 1/2 slice of bacon then rolls it brown sugar and bakes them off. We love 'em!

o

I made the bacon wrapped ones with brown sugar for our Christmas party and they were a hit. I have hesitated making them because of the tedium of wrapping them, but it took me less than a half hour to do them...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
    • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
    • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
    • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
    • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
    • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
    • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here