Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
motherhubbard_gw

LOOKING for: Lil Smokie recipe

motherhubbard
16 years ago

I have lost my recipe that I use every Christmas where you put them in the slow cooker with pineapple, bell pepper and I can't remember the other ingred. Any one make these?

Thanks

Comments (10)

• angelaid
    16 years ago

Is it a sweet and sour sauce? This is the one I use for sweet and sour meatballs:

Sweet & Sour Sauce

1/2 cup packed brown sugar
    1 tablespoon corn starch
    1 can (13&1/4 oz) pineapple chunks
    1/3 cup vinegar
    1 Tbls soy sauce
    1 small green pepper, coarsely chopped

Mix brown sugar and cornstarch in skillet. Stir in pineapple (with syrup), vinegar and soy sauce. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly; reduce heat. Cover; simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes, or until sauce thickens to your desired thickness. Stir in green pepper. Cover and simmer for about two more minutes.
    This is the Âperfect (according to family & friends) S&S Sauce and can be used for egg rolls, meatballs, chicken, shrimp, fried won-tons, egg foo yong - whatever...

• lindac
    16 years ago

I am expecting last minute company any minute....stopping in...can only stay a minute....do you have time for a drink....yeah sure...
    And I opened the package....popped it into a fry pan with 1/2 a bottle of BBQ sauce and a 1/2 aw ine glass of chablis...
    That...cheese and some veggies are it!!
    Linda C

• lindac
    16 years ago

And in an hour the whole package was gone....and in another hour 1/2 the second package.
    I've decided it doesn't much matter what you heat them in....the get eaten with relish!
    Linda C

• motherhubbard
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for all your answers and help. I did used to use the one posted by angelaid. Thanks a bunch and hope you all have wonderful holidays

• BeverlyAL
    16 years ago

Yes, red-neck hor d'oeuvres - little smokies and barbecue sauce. Everybody love 'em including me and I don't usually like barbecue sauce.

• mustangs81
    16 years ago

It's after the event, but my favorite for Lil Smokies is:

Bourbon Sausages
    3 pound package of Lil Smokies
    1 cup dark brown sugar
    12 ounce bottle Heinz Chili Sauce
    12 ounces bourbon

Bake smokies for 30 minutes at 350 (to eliminate some grease). While smokies are cooking, mix sugar, chili sauce, bourbon in sauce pan. Cook until sauce is reduced and thick.

Add smokies to sauce and stir to coat. Serve immediately in chafing dish or can be made ahead and warmed before serving.

• glenda_al
    16 years ago

Did mine with grape jelly and bbq sauce! yummy!

• Nonnie_GA
    16 years ago

Mine were made with grape jelly, mustard and worcestershire sauce. I can't take them to a pot luck because everybody else is making them now!

• angier_2007
    16 years ago

My MIL wraps them in a 1/2 slice of bacon then rolls it brown sugar and bakes them off. We love 'em!

• kathyb63
    16 years ago

I made the bacon wrapped ones with brown sugar for our Christmas party and they were a hit. I have hesitated making them because of the tedium of wrapping them, but it took me less than a half hour to do them...