Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lakeguy35

LOOKING for: Leftover Rib Bones From Prime Rib

lakeguy35
18 years ago

I made a 7 bone 22 pound rib roast during the holidays and tossed the leftover bones, with a fair amount of meat on them, in the freezer. I remember making a recipe from here that was great, they were rubbed with some kind of sauce then rolled in bread crumbs and baked or broiled. Anyone remember this one? I'm thinking it was Ruthanna or maybe Marlin. I'm open to other recipes or ideas too. Thanks for any help or input!

David

Comments (20)

• cookingrvc
    18 years ago

Hey David!

If I'm not mistaken, you've got yourself some short ribs.
    You can brown them in some oil and onions, then braise them in some chiekcn stock (I use chicken instead of beef)and some wine. They are great with mashed potatoes or mashed celery root.

Sue

• glenda_al
    18 years ago

It's Ruthanna, think she called them Deviled Ribs!

• glenda_al
    18 years ago

Sure this isn't Ruthanna's recipe, but did a search and found this one.

Deviled Bones
    From "Bones," by Jennifer McLagan. After the cooking is over, a standing rib roast yields another treat. You can return the bones to the oven to crisp them, then eat them as-is. Or you can refrigerate them and use them to make this the next day. The number of servings depends on how many bones you have -- and how willing you are to share.
    1/3 cup unsalted butter
    1 teaspoon dry mustard
    1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
    Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
    3 to 5 leftover beef rib bones
    1 cup fresh bread crumbs
    PREHEAT the broiler to high. Melt the butter in a small saucepan. Remove from heat and stir in the mustard, cayenne and Worcestershire. Season with salt and pepper.
    BRUSH the ribs with the spiced butter, then roll in the bread crumbs, coating well. Place in a broiler pan and broil, turning occasionally and basting with remaining butter, until golden brown, 12 to 15 minutes.

• lakeguy35
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi Sue!

That sounds good, I will have to give it a try. Thank you!

Hey Glenda!

That's the one I'm thinkig of, now I just need the recipe. : ) Hopefully Ruthanna will see this.

I'm thinking I can get several meals for myself out of these so keep the ideas/recipes coming.

David

• lakeguy35
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Yum! Looks good Glenda, thanks for taking the time to search and post!!

David

• san_
    18 years ago

the bones are the best part of a prime rib dinner and i'm grateful ted disagrees with me! i usually "pig out" and gnaw on these bones during and after dinner--so there is nothing left for another treat. but i was restrained once and may be again some day. in the interim, i will say ruthanna's recipe is quite good--enjoy, david!

RuthannaÂs Leftover Ribs

· Posted by: Ruthanna (My Page) on Thu, Dec 19, 02 at 11:20
    This isn't the answer to your question but be sure to save the bones and the next night, you can have Devilled Beef Bones for dinner. Rub bones with cut garlic cloves, then sprinkle with Worcestershire sauce and rub it in. Spread on both sides with a spicy good-quality prepared mustard. Roll ribs in fine dry bread crumbs. Bake at 400 degrees for about 15-20 minutes or until crumbs form a crispy coating and meat is warmed through. Serve with plenty of napkins.

• earl
    18 years ago

Leftover rib bones make wonderful beef veggie soup.

• compumom
    18 years ago

Darn! Why didn't I see this sooner? I tossed most of the leftover meat/fat but kept the two leftover bones and sprinkled them with Head Country seasoning and some Bone Sucking Sauce I had bought to try. Baked them in a low oven for over an hour and they look like a delicious treat! I'm with San, I like to gnaw on the bones!

• msazadi
    18 years ago

Never toss; freeze and ask questions later. ;-)

• ann_t
    18 years ago

Short ribs and Prime rib bones are too different things. Short ribs need to be simmered to make them tender but prime rib bones can actually be grilled and served rare. I vote for the deviled ribs. Those sound wonderful. In fact, I wished I had seen this thread earlier. I saw a whole stip of prime rib bones at the butcher yesterday that would have been wonderful roasted using the deviled rib recipe.

Ann

• ruthanna_gw
    18 years ago

Thanks, san. I am in the midst of a remodeling of both bathrooms at once so haven't been around much.

• lakeguy35
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks San, that's the one I was looking for and have made in the past. Earl, soup would be a good idea too, but the deviled recipes has my mouth watering. Alexa, she might get one, it has been so warm here she could have it outside and not make a mess in the house. She still has one of her bully sticks left. : )

David

• susan_in_nc
    18 years ago

I used mine for some beef veggie soup. It has the best flavor! All that garlic that I stuffed under the fat layer to cook the prime rib, just infused into the broth. Even DS ate two bowl of it and he is "not" a veggie soup eater, or a home made soup eater (can we say Cambell's Chicken Noodle).

Susan

• chase_gw
    18 years ago

David next time try making demi-glace. It takes two days to make, and is quite the procedure but the result is the most amazing concentrated beef "sauce". I freeze it in ice cube trays and add one of the precious cubes to dishes such as stroganoff, bourgionne or french onion soup....It's flippin' amazing. Makes you feel like a real chef!

• cookingrvc
    18 years ago

Sorry David, guess I was mistaken.
    s

• cookingrvc
    18 years ago

Been wondering where I got the idea that the short rib was somehow part of the prime rib, and found my answer when speaking to the butcher the other day.

I was ordering short ribs for a dinner party I am having on Saturday, and he said he'd take them from the rib instead of the chuck. Hmmm, so I asked him to explain. He said that the prime rib bone extends another 12 inches beyond what we normally see when getting a bone-in roast. At the end of that is where the short ribs are located, and are a little less fatty than thse from the chuck.

So, thankfully, I cleared up why I connected prime rib to short ribs.

Whew, that feels better now.

Sue

• lakeguy35
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Had my bones last night for dinner...YUM!!!! Thanks for posting San and Ruthanna for a great recipe.

Sue, thanks for that info. I'll admit I have never made short ribs, I will have to give your method a try one of these days.

David

• magpie2711
    12 years ago

I realize this is an old post, but I just wanted to add how delicious these deviled bones were!! No fresh bread crumbs, so I used panko. This was an incredible find!

• gardengal19
    8 years ago

Which mustard do you use? Dry or wet? Maybe horseradish mustard?