Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rottenlivia

RECIPE: Simple pasta recipe on Passport To Europe today?

rottenlivia
15 years ago

Samantha Brown was in Bologna It. today and I came in on the last part of the segment where they were making pasta. Tortolini to be exact. Please forgive the spelling. What I did catch was that it was simply flour and egg. How much of each I am not sure. But, the spoleta said there was no salt or any other ingredient. She had a mound of flour, made a well in it for her eggs and a fork to begin working it in.

Can someone give me an idea of the amounts? How much flour to egg? I have the whole week off so am willing and waiting to experiment.

Thanks, Kim

Comments (4)

• ginger_st_thomas
    15 years ago

Tried looking on the Travel Channel's site but couldn't find the exact recipe but the show will probably repeat & you could look it up.

Pasta making basics are below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pasta

• ginger_st_thomas
    15 years ago

The pasta recipe in the link below has the salt & olive oil optional & should help.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tortellini

• coconut_nj
    15 years ago

Kim, making fresh pasta doesn't need exact measurements. In fact, they can throw you off. It's kind of like bread in that the amounts of flour to egg will vary with moisture in flour and size of eggs and weather, etc. I make this kind of basic pasta dough too. It's the kind my Nonna taught us. Well, more like what we saw her making. Forget the well of flour, unless you really want to play with that method. To start your experiment I'd use 3 eggs. Beat them in a bowl and start adding flour until you get a nice stiff dough. Not too stiff, you want to be able to knead it a little bit and work it afterward. If you were using the well you'd just beat your eggs into the middle and pull in as much flour as needed to make the stiff dough. Turn the dough out on the table and knead a few times until smooth. Cover with plastic wrap or the bowl and let rest for about ten or twenty minutes then roll out. That's it. I don't usually let it rest at all, but then I have a pasta machine to make it easy to roll out.

For torellini we use 1 egg yolk to one cup of ricotta and about a tablespoon of romano for the filling. If you were using larger quanitites you could use the whole eggs. One whole egg per pound of ricotta. This is also what we use for ravioli and for lasagna for that matter.

You can get much more complicated and add other things, but this is the basic.
    Hope this helps. Have fun.

• rottenlivia
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks so much. I'm sorry it took so long to get back to you all but haven't been near a comp. Tomorrow is the last day of Christmas vaca. for the kids so plan to do this tomorrow. I appriciate your suggestions and will get back to you to let you know how much we laughed and if our results were laughable!! Either way, cooking is a labor of love, no?
    Kim