Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
LOOKING for: Wassall recipe

Posted by omac (omacaz@cox.net) on
Tue, Dec 8, 09 at 12:41

With the holidays approching and cooler (cold) weather upon us, I would like to brew a pot of Wassall. Does anyone have a T & T recipe? Besides warming up our inners, it also makes the house smell good.

Carol

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: LOOKING for: Wassall recipe

A shortcut version:

WASSAIL (serves 10)
2 3/4 cups + 1 TBL sugar
1/3 cup instant tea
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground cloves

Combine the ingredients in ajar. Use 2 TBL of mix per cup of boiling water or serve in a punch bowl & float thin slices of lemon.~~Tested. Tried & True

This one is really good:
HOLIDAY WASSAIL (5 qts)
1 orange
1 lemon
1 1/2 tsp whole cloves
Three 3" cinnamon sticks
1/2 cup sugar
1 gallon apple cider
2 cups orange juice
1 cup lemon juice

Peel orange & lemon carefully to keep rinds intact. Insert cloves in each strip of rind. Combine rinds, cinnamon, sugar & cider in a large Dutch oven; bring to a boil.
Cover, reduce heat & simmer 10 minutes. Remove from heat & cool completely, about 1 1/2 hours.
To serve, add orange & lemon juices to mix & thoroughly heat.~~St. Louis Days/St. Louis Nights

o

This is a T&T recipe - I've make it every year for 28 years (I remember when I got the recipe). It is also delicious for Fall Parties. I always serve both an alcohol & non alcohol version at Christmas. I always use fresh apple cider, I hope you enjoy it.

WASSAIL

1 TSP WHOLE CLOVES
2 ORANGES
12 CUPS (3QT) APPLE JUICE OR APPLE CIDER
C LEMON JUICE
6 CINNAMON STICKS

PREHEAT OVEN TO 350
INSERT CLOVES IN ORANGES " APART
BAKE 30 MINS
PIERCE ORANGES W/ A FORK - SET ASIDE

IN LARGE SAUCEPAN, COMBINE ALL OTHER INGREDIENTS
SIMMER COVERED 30 MINS
REMOVE STICKS ADD ORANGES
SERVE IN CROCK POT W/ HEAT ON LOW.
*****ADD 2-3 CUPS VODKA &1/3 CUP BRANDY

MAKES 24 C SERVINGS

CAN ALSO SERVE NON ACOHOLIC

o

To answer an email from Marysunshine2009 about the above Wassail recipe - I personally would not put this into jars for gifts to be given later. I have had leftovers last a few days in the frig. Maybe you should ask your question on the Cooking Forum, as there are very knowlegeable people who can and perserve food and they would be able to answer your question. I think it would harbor bacteria, unless you put it up correctly -

o

This Wassail has always had rave reviews. I have made it during the holidays for over 30 years and everyone looks forward to it.

WASSAIL

This recipe serves 80 - 100 - 6 oz servings

3 gallons apple cider
7 1/2 cinnamon sticks, crumbled
1 1/4 tsp Nutmeg
9 tsp. Allspice
1 box light brown sugar, less if desired
1 12 oz frozen pineapple juice, plus 1 1/2 cans water
1 12 oz frozen lemonade, plus 1 1/2 cans water
rum, if desired (I have never added Rum)

Combine ingredients and heat. Strain spices before serving. For large quantities, make in coffeemaker (this recipe fits 100-cup maker) For coffeemaker, put spices in basket along with brown sugar. Break up cinnamon and put into basket. If you serve warm in a punch bowl, float clove studded oranges and use additional cinnamon sticks for stirrers.

NOTE: for smaller quantities
1 gallon cider
same spices, reduced by 2/3
same frozen juice concentrate portion, less the water
1/3 box brown sugar (it's even better this way)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here