Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
RECIPE: The Secret to great sugar cookies

Posted by dawnp (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 23, 09 at 12:41

I just finished baking my Christmas Cutout Sugar Coookies and I wanted to share the secrets since so many people have trouble with sugar cookies being too dry etc. Several years ago a dear friend of mine taught me how to properly make sugar cookies and now I make them every year. They are always requested and always good.

(No matter what recipe you use) My biggest tips are roll them thick -maybe 3/8 to 1/4 inch in thickness. Also, bake them only until the bottoms are light brown in color. The tops may look white but that's Ok. Second, the icing. I use a buttercream recipe and add extra vanilla and a little salt. It makes an amazing difference in the cookies.

I hope this helps someone.

Happy Baking!

Dawn

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: RECIPE: The Secret to great sugar cookies

Dawn, I have a friend who makes sugar cookies every year & am sending her your tips. Thank you.

Merry Christmas,
Kathleen

o

Thank you! They are one of my favorite cookies, iced or plain. Just love that yummy vanilla-sugar flavor.

o

Dawnp, you are so right! For years I searched for the perfect sugar cookie recipe. I found it, but it's really only perfect when I roll it thick and DON'T OVER BAKE THE COOKIES! Buttercream frosting is what I use too, but I've never added any salt - I'll try it next time! With grandkids and a huge investment in cookie cutters, I make sugar cookies almost every holiday. They have become expected!

Here's my PERFECT SUGAR COOKIE recipe - it's a little different/more complicated, but worth the effort!

3 eggs
1 cup melted margarine
1 cup sugar
2 tsp. vanilla
2 T baking powder
4 cups flour
1/4 tsp. salt

Beat whites till stiff. Beat yolks till creamy. Combine gently. Add melted margarine, sugar and vanilla. Beat. Sift dry ingredients together and work in. Chill. Roll 1/4-3/4" thick and cut. Bake on ungreased cookie sheet until JUST DONE on bottem. Remove from pan, cool, and frost.

These cookies are very good for cutting. They produce a thick, cake-like texture with a butter flavor. ENJOY!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here