Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
RECIPE: Lemon Curd - Can I Can This?

Posted by becky_ca (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 2, 08 at 12:36

Good Morning!

I am thinking about making some lemon curd and giving it as gifts this year, but I need advice on how to can it. I have done some canning of jams and chutneys, so I know the basics, but I'm wondering with the eggs if I can safely can this using a water bath? My alternative is to just give it fresh and tell them to refrigerate it.

TIA :-)
Becky

* Exported from MasterCook *

Lemon Curd

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
4 teaspoons grated lemon peel
2/3 cup lemon juice
5 eggs
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup melted butter

In a Cuisinart, combine first 4 ingredients and blend until smooth. With motor running, add melted butter, pouring in a steady stream Whirl just until blended. In heavy pan, cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until it bubbles and thickens, about 5 minutes. Cool slightly and refrigerate for up to 1 week. May be frozen for several months.

Yield:
"3 cups"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: RECIPE: Lemon Curd - Can I Can This?

I would ask the experts over on the Harvest Forum - they know a lot about what and how to can.

Teresa

o

Thanks Teresa - I'll post it over there too and see what they say.

Becky

o

I don't think lemon curd can be successfully/safely canned.
It's essentially a custard....you get it too hot and it will separate into curds.
Linda C

o

my friend freezes it

o

I know over at alt.cooking-chat there was a professional jam maker who used to bemoan the fact that home made lemon curd couldn't be canned- he was always experimenting but never found a way.

o

It doesn't seem all that complicated to make... why not make it fresh when you need it?

Alexa

o

Alexa - no it isn't complicated to make, but I was wanting to include jars in gift baskets. The experts over on the harvest forum told me "no" due to the eggs, so I've decided to go with blueberry jam instead.
Becky

o

Now I understand :-)

My cousing made a Thai Peanut Dipping Sauce for gift baskets a few Christmas ago - he just put on the label something to the effect of

"Please use this immediately and keep refirgerated"

to warn people that it was not canned and would not keep indefinitely. Maybe that would work for the lemon curd too?

Alexa

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here