Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
RECIPE: (Light) Butterscotch Blondies

Posted by woodie2 (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 13, 07 at 12:10

Thought I'd share this recipe that DD tried over the weekend - one of the rare things she makes without chocolate, LOL. I don't have the nutritional info, but supposedly it's a "light" recipe as compared to some others, I wouldn't really argue if anybody questions the amount of sugar and fat, I just know that they tasted great and we considered them downright health food this past weekend!

BUTTERSCOTCH BLONDIES
Recipe from Cooking Light

2 cups all purpose flour
2 1/2 cups firmly packed light brown sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
10 tablespoons unsalted butter
3/4 cup egg substitute
Cooking spray

1. Preheat oven to 350
2. Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups, level with a knife. Combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a large bowl.
3. Place butter in a small skillet over medium heat. Cook for 6 minutes or until lightly browned, stirring occasionally. Pour into a small bowl and cool for 10 minutes. Combine butter and egg substitute, stirring with a whisk. Pour butter mixture over flour mixture; stir just until moistened. Spoon batter into a 13 x 9 inch baking pan coated with cooking spray; smooth top with spatula. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan on wire rack. Cut into 48 squares. Yield 24 servings

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: RECIPE: (Light) Butterscotch Blondies

And a big scoop of ice cream would be great with them (NOT light ice cream.) ;)

o

Woodie, guess it is the eggbeaters that makes them "Light", huh? Will print this one out and try Ginger's suggestion too! LOL
RL`

o

Ginger, shame on you, trying to turn health food into something way bad, Santa ought to slap you upside the head! I'm surprised you even opened this (light) thread, LOL, guess you were desperately looking for some cream yesterday :)

Just for you, Ginger - don't forget to top the sundae with whipped cream :)

SCHRAFFTS BUTTERSCOTCH SAUCE
Recipe Courtesy Arthur Schwartz
Makes 1-3/4 cup

To make the classic Schraffts sundae, I have been using Haagen-Dazs coffee ice cream and Blue Diamond brand roasted, salted almonds. Theyre terrific. I chop them coarsely and use about a heaping tablespoon on each sundae. Need I say that if you prefer chocolate or vanilla to coffee ice cream, the sauce and nuts are still a sensational sundae topping.

1 cup packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup light corn syrup
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

In a heavy, medium-sized saucepan, over medium heat, combine the brown sugar, corn syrup, butter, and salt. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly.

When the mixture begins boiling at the edge of the pot, stop stirring and boil hard for 1 minute.

Remove from heat. Pour in the cream and stir well. Stir in the vanilla.

The sauce may be served hot, warm or at room temperature. If it gets a little grainy or lumpy, reheat gently and still vigorously with a whisk.

Arthurs Two Cents: I made a double batch with no problem, but had much left over. Stored in a tightly closed jar, it kept in my refrigerator perfectly for nearly six weeks until I finished it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here