Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mara1331

looking for: sugar cookie cut-outs from redbook cookbook

mara1331
16 years ago

This is an old out of print cookbook. It makes the best dough and basically was made like pie crust..you mixed all the dry ingredients and then cut in the butter, then added the egg, vanilla and a few spoons of cream.... I just don't remember the recipe..

Comments (4)

• roselin32
    16 years ago

My recipe doesn't call for any cream but you do cut the butter into the mixture........it is a great recipe too.
    Sugar Cookies
    3c flour
    1/2 tsp baking powder
    1/2 tsp baking soda
    1 c butter or margarine
    pinch of salt
    Mix all together like piecrust dough cutting the butter into the dry ingredients.
    Then add:
    1 c sugar
    2 beaten eggs
    1 tsp vanilla.
    Chill dough. Preheat oven to 375°, roll and cut cookies. Bake on ungreased cookie sheet for 6-8 minutes.
    I always double this recipe and then frost and decorate.
    RL`

• Terri_PacNW
    16 years ago

Angel Horns~maybe this dough?

Here is a link that might be useful: Scroll Down~Roselin's post

• Virginia7074
    16 years ago

I received the Redbook cookbook in a swap last year and here it is, from page 896. I'm curious - does this recipe make cutouts with distinct "edges?" That's what I'm looking for in a cutout recipe.

Sugar Cookie Cutouts

3 cups sifted all-purpose flour
    1 cup sugar
    1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
    ½-teaspoon salt
    1 cup softened butter or margarine
    1 egg, slightly beaten
    3 tablespoons light cream
    1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Heat oven to 400. Sift together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt into a large bowl. Add butter and cut into flour mixture with an electric mixer or a pastry blender until particles are fine. Add egg, cream and vanilla; blend thoroughly. If desired, chill dough for easer handling. Place 1/3 of the dough on a well-floured board. Place a sheet of floured waxed paper over dough and roll with a rolling pin to a thickness of 1/8 inch. Remove waxed paper. Cut into desired shapes with cookie cutters. Repeat with rest of dough. Place 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheets. Bake 5 to 8 minutes, or until lightly browned at edges. Cool on wire racks. When cookies are cool, they may be frosted with a simple icing and decorated as desired. Makes about 6 to 7 dozen cookies.

• mara1331
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Many many thanks!! I have been searching for this recipes for years...
    No..it doesn't make th edges that you're looking for.

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022