Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
LOOKING for: Creme Brulee casserole style vs indiv ramekins

Posted by kelyn (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 8, 07 at 11:22

I am in charge of taking dessert to a champagne and desert social in our neighborhood (12 townhomes). Has anyone tried making creme brulee as a large dish vs using individual serving ramekins? My other choice of dessert is wine poached pears. Any other ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: LOOKING for: Creme Brulee casserole style vs indiv ramekins

That doesn't appeal to me. It wouldn't be attractive cracking through the sugar crust & trying to serve it to a group. This one's tried & true & always a hit:
PRALINE CHEESECAKE WITH PECAN SAUCE
Crust:
1 1/4 cups graham cracker crumbs
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup pecans, chopped & toasted
4 TBL butter, melted
Preheat oven to 350. Combine the crumbs, sugar & pecans in a bowl. Add the melted butter & mix well. Press the crumb mixture over the bottom & 1 1/2" up the sides of a 9" springform pan. Bake 10 minutes.

Filling:
Three 8 oz pkg cream cheese, softened
1 cup packed brown sugar
2/3 cup evaporated milk
2 TBL flour
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
3 eggs
1 cup pecan halves, toasted

Beat together the cream cheese, brown sugar, evaporated milk, flour & vanilla. Add the eggs & beat just until blended. Pour into the hot baked crust. Bake 50-55 minutes. Cool in the pan 30 minutes, loosen the sides of the springform & remove the rim. Cool completely. Arrange the pecan halves on top of the cheesecake.

Pecan sauce:
1 cup dark brown sugar, packed
2 TBL cornstarch
2 TBL butter
1/2 cup broken pecan pieces

In a saucepan mix the brown sugar & cornstarch. Add 1 1/2 cups of water. Bring to a boil & stir over medium heat until thickened & bubbly, about 5 minutes. Stir in the butter & add the pecans. Serve the sauce on the side in a sauceboat.~~ Without Reservations

o

kelyn I'm in the same boat. I'm responsible for dessert for 18 tonight and have been pondering the fact that I don't have 18 ramekins, and I think folks might want to control their portions by the spoonful.

DH will be making meringes (sp?) and we'll have plenty of egg yolks available!

I googled 'creme brulee casserole' and didn't come up with much, except this one.

Anyone have recipes for about 12 yolks?

Here is a link that might be useful: Astray recipe

o

Check below, Jessy.

Here is a link that might be useful: Egg Yolks

o

Thank you, Ginger!

o

I make it this way every Christmas in a 9x13 pyrex and I have to say it works well and never any complaints dish is usually scrapped empty.

o

Through lack of time to research and ingredients, I ended up making the creme brulee in a pan. Here is DH playing with his blow torch. And here is the finished product - next time, my MIL has twelve ramekins, and I have eight, so I'll do it the proper way! That being said, that pan was cleaned out within minutes, LOL. I used Debbie Puente's recipe from cremebrulee.com because it called for eight yolks and thats what I had.

o

Looks great!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here