Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kelynkelyn

LOOKING for: Creme Brulee casserole style vs indiv ramekins

kelyn
16 years ago

I am in charge of taking dessert to a champagne and desert social in our neighborhood (12 townhomes). Has anyone tried making creme brulee as a large dish vs using individual serving ramekins? My other choice of dessert is wine poached pears. Any other ideas?

Comments (7)

• ginger_st_thomas
    16 years ago

That doesn't appeal to me. It wouldn't be attractive cracking through the sugar crust & trying to serve it to a group. This one's tried & true & always a hit:
    PRALINE CHEESECAKE WITH PECAN SAUCE
    Crust:
    1 1/4 cups graham cracker crumbs
    1/4 cup granulated sugar
    1/4 cup pecans, chopped & toasted
    4 TBL butter, melted
    Preheat oven to 350°. Combine the crumbs, sugar & pecans in a bowl. Add the melted butter & mix well. Press the crumb mixture over the bottom & 1 1/2" up the sides of a 9" springform pan. Bake 10 minutes.

Filling:
    Three 8 oz pkg cream cheese, softened
    1 cup packed brown sugar
    2/3 cup evaporated milk
    2 TBL flour
    1 1/2 tsp vanilla
    3 eggs
    1 cup pecan halves, toasted

Beat together the cream cheese, brown sugar, evaporated milk, flour & vanilla. Add the eggs & beat just until blended. Pour into the hot baked crust. Bake 50-55 minutes. Cool in the pan 30 minutes, loosen the sides of the springform & remove the rim. Cool completely. Arrange the pecan halves on top of the cheesecake.

Pecan sauce:
    1 cup dark brown sugar, packed
    2 TBL cornstarch
    2 TBL butter
    1/2 cup broken pecan pieces

In a saucepan mix the brown sugar & cornstarch. Add 1 1/2 cups of water. Bring to a boil & stir over medium heat until thickened & bubbly, about 5 minutes. Stir in the butter & add the pecans. Serve the sauce on the side in a sauceboat.~~ Without Reservations

• jessyf
    16 years ago

kelyn I'm in the same boat. I'm responsible for dessert for 18 tonight and have been pondering the fact that I don't have 18 ramekins, and I think folks might want to control their portions by the spoonful.

DH will be making meringes (sp?) and we'll have plenty of egg yolks available!

I googled 'creme brulee casserole' and didn't come up with much, except this one.

Anyone have recipes for about 12 yolks?

Here is a link that might be useful: Astray recipe

• ginger_st_thomas
    16 years ago

Check below, Jessy.

Here is a link that might be useful: Egg Yolks

• jessyf
    16 years ago

Thank you, Ginger!

• eileenlaunonen
    16 years ago

I make it this way every Christmas in a 9x13 pyrex and I have to say it works well and never any complaints dish is usually scrapped empty.

• jessyf
    16 years ago

Through lack of time to research and ingredients, I ended up making the creme brulee in a pan. Here is

playing with his blow torch. And here is the
    - next time, my MIL has twelve ramekins, and I have eight, so I'll do it the proper way! That being said, that pan was cleaned out within minutes, LOL. I used Debbie Puente's recipe from cremebrulee.com because it called for eight yolks and thats what I had.

• eileenlaunonen
    16 years ago

Looks great!

Sponsored
Custom Premiere Design-Build Contractor | Hilliard, OH