Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
canarybird01

RECIPE: Traditional English Christmas Fruitcake & Icing

canarybird01
18 years ago

I recently posted a photo of a very good quality imported English Christmas fruitcake over on the What's For Dinner thread and Diane (Craftyn) asked if I had a recipe. As I have made dark fruit Christmas cakes several times I'm posting here the recipe I used along with instructions for making and applying the marzipan topping and the royal icing. Too bad I can't find the photos of the cakes I made but they were done before I had a digital camera and are lost in boxes of old photo prints. I did a nice job and decorated them with red ribbons and silver balls. I gave away several smaller cakes and kept the largest one for ourselves.

However I'll post here again the photo of the purchased cake we bought this year.

1 lb flour (4 cups)

3/4 lb butter (1 3/4 cups)

1/2 lb soft brown or castor sugar

1 lb sultanas (2 2/3 cups)

1 lb currants (2 2/3 cups)

6 oz chopped mixed peel (1 cup)

1/4 lb glac� cherries chopped (2/3 cup)

6 large eggs

1/4 lb almonds (1 cup)

1 teasp grated orange rind

1 TBS black treacle (molasses)

1 level teasp baking powder

1/2 teasp mixed spice

1 wineglass (or more) of brandy

1. Sieve the flour with the baking powder, spice and a pinch of salt.

2. Blanch the almonds and finely chop; chop the peel or put through a mincer; quarter the cherries.

3. Put the butter into a bowl and warm it slightly; beat with a wooden spoon. Add the sugar and continue to beat until the mixture is light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs one at a time, using a level dessertspoon of flour as each egg is added. Then stir in the treacle (molasses).

4. Add half the rest of the flour, all the fruit, almonds and orange rind. Put the other half of the flour on top, stir and mix well but do not beat. Put in the brandy. If the mixture seems too stiff, add a little milk - the mixture should drop easily from a spoon.

5. Prepare a cake tin about 10 inches in diameter, grease the tin then line with buttered grease-proof paper high enough to come 2 to 3 inches above the top of the tin.

6. Put in the cake mixture, slightly press in the centre to make the cake rise evenly and stand the cake on a layer of coarse crushed salt on a baking tin (or cookie sheet). This will prevent the bottom becoming too brown before the cake is cooked.

7. Have the oven preheated at Gas 4, electricity 350F. Put the cake not higher than the centre of the oven - just below if possible. Lower the heat at once to Gas 2, electricity 300F for one hour, then lower the heat to Gas 1, electricity 275F. The cake will take from 5 to 6 hours to cook. Test with a warmed fine skewer or knitting needle after 5 hours.

8. After removing from the oven leave it in the tin for half an hour, then turn out onto wire rack, remove the paper. After about 12 hours, wrap in double sheets of greaseproof paper and store in a tin with tightly fitting lid until required for icing.

If preferred, the cake can be baked at Gas 3, electricity 325F for 1 hour, then turned to Gas 1 electricity 275F for the rest of the time.

Source: The Margaret Powell Cookery Book - London 1970.

MY TIP: I made the cakes in mid-October and wrapped them in brandy-soaked cheesecloth in tightly closed containers, removing and resoaking the cloths (in brandy) and rewrapping them a couple of times before I did the marzipan and icing a few days before Christmas.

ICING THE CAKE: - in two stages

---------------------------

ALMOND PASTE (Marzipan)

12 oz ground almonds (3 cups)

6 oz castor sugar (3/4 cup) (or fine fruit sugar)

6 oz sieved icing sugar (1 1/2 cups)

3 egg whites

few drops almond essence

3 TBS apricot jam, sieved

ROYAL ICING - (three days later)

4 egg whites

2 lbs icing sugar, sieved (7 to 8 cups)

4 teasp lemon juice

2 teasp glycerine

1. Mix almonds and sugar in a bowl, then blend in egg whites and almond essence to make a soft paste. Knead until it is smooth, then divide into three equal portions.

2. Roll one piece onto a sugared board to an 8-inch circle. Roll remaining two-thirds to a strip the same depth as cake, and long enough to go all the way around the edge..

3. Brush the sides of cake with apricot jam. Press long strip around sides and press firmly to join. Place circle of paste on top of cake. Allow to dry for at least three days before icing.

4. Whisk egg whites for royal icing until they become frothy. Add sugar, a tablespoon at a time, and beat well after each addition. Finally beat in lemon juice and glycerine. To prevent the icing hardening, cover bowl with a damp cloth.

5. Spread icing thickly over top and round sides of cake and smooth flat. Leave for a day to set and then decorate with red ribbon around sides.

Tip: Using glycerine in the icing ensures that it is not hard. The lemon juice adds flavour and helps tp make a softer icing.

Source: Hamlyn All Colour Cook Book

London - 1970.

MY ADVICE: Buy ready made marzipan, apply it and then top with purchased rolled fondant icing. It's softer and easier than royal icing.

SharonCb

Here is a link that might be useful: Another Version - from Delia

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators in Franklin County