Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eileenlaunonen

LOOKING for: T&T Italian Rainbow Cookies

eileenlaunonen
16 years ago

Please share ...DH favorites but I have never made them MIL usually buys them.

Comments (7)

• cookingrvc
    16 years ago

Eileen,

I made them a few years ago from a recipe on the Internet. They're labor intensive and the end result was not that great, although i do not posses a great baking gene, which may have contributed to their mediocrity.

In my opinion the ones they sell Lombardi's market can't be beat, but it's all a matter of taste or maybe the recipe I used wasn't that good.

I feel the same way about sfoo-ya-del (the clam shaped flaky pastries that I can never spell). after seeing a page (3-4 columns)of instructions in Gourmet, I decided to leave that to the experts too!

I gave you a link to a recipe at Epicurious which was rated highly. Perhaps this one is better than the one I tried, although they all look similar to me. If given a choice between the jams, I prefer raspberry.
    sue

Here is a link that might be useful: Rainbow cookies

• carmie2
    16 years ago

I havent tried yet but sound Yummy!!!

1 can (8 oz.) almond paste
    1 cup butter, softened (no substitutes)
    1 cup sugar
    4 eggs, separated
    2 cups all-purpose flour
    6 to 8 drops red food coloring
    6 to 8 drops green food coloring
    1/4 cup seedless red raspberry jam
    1/4 cup apricot jam
    1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
    Directions:
    Grease the bottoms of three matching 13x9x2 baking pans (or reuse one pan). Line the pans with waxed paper; grease the paper.

Place almond paste in a large mixing bowl; break up with a fork. Cream with butter, sugarand egg yolks until light, fluffy and smooth. Stir in flour.

In another mixing bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Fold into dough, mixing until thoroughly blended. Divide dough into three portions (about 1-1/3 cups each). Color one portion with red food coloring and one with green; leave the remaining portion uncolored. Spread each portion into the prepared pans.

Bake at 350°F for 10-12 minutes or until edges are light golden brown. Invert onto wire racks: remove waxed paper. Place another wire rack on top and turn over. Cool completely.

Place green layer on a large piece of plastic wrap. Spread evenly with raspberry jam. Top with uncolored layer and spread with apricot jam. Top with pink layer. Bring plastic wrap over layers. Slide onto a cookie sheet and set a cutting board or heavy, flat pan on top to compress layers. Refrigerate overnight.

The next day, melt chocolate in a double boiler. Spread over top layer; allow to harden. With a sharp knife, trim edges. Cut into 1/2-inch strips across the width; then cut each strip into 4-5 pieces. Store in airtight containers.

• fearlessem
    16 years ago

Here is a link to a recipe from one of my favorite bloggers... He includes his recipe, lots of pictures... They really look delicious!

Here is a link that might be useful: Desert Culinary's Rainbow (7-Layer) Cookies

• fearlessem
    16 years ago

Ooops -- I posted the wrong link... Here is the link directly to the recipe

Here is a link that might be useful: Desrt Culinary's Rainbow Cookies -- Right Link

• teresa_nc7
    16 years ago

My MIL made these for years - they were my favorite cookie. I did help her at one point, but never tried to do them on my own.
    Teresa

• eileenlaunonen
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sue ...Dortoni Bakery in Levittown (Wantagh Avenue) makes a great sfigotelle sp? so does Alpin Bakery in Smithtown...Im actually closer to Lombardis and I just may go that route after looking at the recipe. At this point im at approx 75 Dozen cookies in my deep freezer 25 dozen of your oreo truffles and 15 dozen cheesecake lolipops..this is mainly because i took orders this year and I still have 2 signature cookies that still need to be made. Of course they all need to be wrapped and bowed and delivered on the 21st.... NEVER AGAIN!! LOL!!

• cookingrvc
    16 years ago

I've never met a sfoo I didn't like. I think they all come from the same center of the sfoo universe!

Oh, those Oreo Truffles are so good...I was just thinking how I should make a batch for the holidays.

How do you do the cheesecake pops?

Sue

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County