Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenkat_gw

RECIPE: looking for easy appetizers

gardenkat
18 years ago

I'm having a party next week for about 30 people. I'm planning on serving just appetizers and would like to have a lot of different kinds. Please share your favorites. Thanks!

Comments (19)

• lindac
    18 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

There are a bunch on this thread.
    Linda C

Here is a link that might be useful: appetisers

• ginger_st_thomas
    18 years ago

Check out the cheese ball recipes at the link below.
    BLEU CHEESE WAFERS (about 7 dozen)
    6 oz sharp grated Cheddar
    1/2 cup butter, softened
    4 oz bleu cheese, crumbled
    1 1/2 tsp seasoned salt
    1/8 tsp cayenne
    2 3/4 cups flour
    1 cup chopped pecans

Combine first 5 ingredients in a food processor. Add flour & process until dough is smooth. Add pecans. Shape dough into 2 logs & wrap in wax paper; refrigerate overnight. Slice into 1/4" thick slices & place on a cookie sheet coated with cooking spray (or use a Silpat.) Bake in a preheated 375 oveb for 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned.~~From Food For Thought

STUFFED CHERRY TOMATOES (serves 12)
    12 oz bacon
    1 cup mayonnaise
    1 green onion top, finely chopped
    Pepper to taste
    2 pints cherry tomatoes
    Fresh chives, cut into 1" strips

Fry the bacon in a skillet until crisp; drain. Crumble the bacon. Combine the bacon, mayo, green onion & pepper in a bowl & mix well. Chill, covered for 1 hour. Cut the top from each tomato & discard. Remove the seeds & pulp carefully, leaving a shell. Invert the tomato shells on a paper towel to drain. Arrange the tomateos cut side up in a dish. Fill with the bacon mixture. Place the chive strips decoratively in the tomatoes. Spread alfalfa sprouts or shredded lettuce on a serving platter; arrange the stuffed tomatoes over the sprouts.~~Texas Ties

TEXAS CRABGRASS (serves 8)
    1 stick butter, melted
    1/2 cup chopped onion
    One 10 oz pkg frozen chopped spinach
    1/2 lb fresh crabmeat of one 7 oz can crab, drained, picked over
    3/4 cup grated Parmesan

In a small skillet, melt the butter & saute the onions for 4-5 minutes. In a saucepan, bring the spinach to a boil; cook 1 minutes; drain well & add to the butter mixtgure. Add the crab & cheese. Heat & serve in a chafing dish with crackers or melba toast rounds.~~ Company's Coming

FOUR CHEESE PUFFS (makes 50)
    1 lb loaf unsliced white bread
    1 stick butter
    1/4 cup grated Mozzarella
    1/4 cup grated sharp Cheddar
    1/4 cup grated Swiss cheese
    3 oz pkg cream cheese, softened
    1/2 tsp dry mustard
    1/8 tsp cayenne
    Pinch of salt
    2 egg whites

Trim & discard the crusts from the top, bottom & sides of the loaf. Cut the bread into 1" cubes. Set aside. In a saucepan, combine the burtter & cheeses. Stir over moderate heat until melted. Add the mustard, cayenne & salt. Remove from the heat. Beat the egg whites until stiff. Fold into the cheese mixture. Using a fondue fork or skewer, spear the bread cubes one at a time & dip into the mixture until well coated.
    Arrange the cubes on a baking sheet. Freeze immediately until firm, preferably overnight. Remove the puffs from the baking sheet & store in plastic bags in the freezer until ready to use. At serving time, place the frozen cubes on a baking sheet & bake in a preheated 400° oven for 10 minutes until nicely browned.~~ Gatherings

SPICED PECANS (4 cups)
    1 egg white, slightly beaten
    2 TBL cold water
    1/2 cup sugar
    1/4 tsp ground cloves
    1/4 tsp ground allspice
    1/4 tsp cinnamon
    1/2 tsp salt
    4 cups pecan halves

Preheat oven to 250° (low oven.) Coat 2 baking sheets lightly with Pam. Combine the egg white, water, sugar & seasoniongs, mixing well. Set aside 15 minutes. Add the pecans & mix. Spread evenly on the prepared baking sheets. Bake 1 hour. Immediately loosen the pecans from the sheets with a spatula. Store in an airtight container.~~Atlanta Cooknotes

PESTO LAYERED TORTA (seres 8-10)
    4 TBL unsalted burtter, softened
    Two 8 oz pkg cream cheese, softened
    3/4 cup pesto (purchase or make your own)

Oil a deep 3 cup mold. Dampen a length of cheesecloth & lay it in the mold, allowing it to overhang. Beat the butter & cheese together until thoroughly mixed. Divide the cheese into sixths. Put one portion into the bottom of the mold, spreding carefully to cover. Use about 2 TBL of pesto to form the 2nd layer. Continue to layer cheese & pesto, using 2-4 TBL pesto as necessary. Lay the mixture around the edges first to form clean layers; end with a cheese layer. Cover with the overhanging cheesecloth & refrigerate several hours.
    To unmold, invert onto a serving plate; remove cloth. Garnish as desired. Serve w/crackers.~~ Lagniappe ib tge Becges

SWEET MUSTARD SHRIMP (serves 10-12)
    1/2 cup Dijon mustard
    2 tsp dry mustard powder
    1 tsp toasted mustard seeds
    1-2 TBL fresh lemon juice
    6 TBL sugar
    1/2 cup cider vinegar
    1/2 cup vegetable oil
    1 tsp cinnamon
    2 TBL dried dill
    2 TBL finely chopped red onion
    2 lbs medium shrimp

Combine the Dijon, dry mustard, mustard seeds, lemon juice, sugar & cider vinegar in a bowl. Whisk in the oil. Stir in the cinnamon, dill & onion. Chill, tightly covered. (Marinade may be mad in advance & kept refrigerated up to a week.)
    Steam the shrimp or boil. Peel & devein. Combine with the marinade & refrigerat 2 hours to overnight. Serve on wooden skewers.~~I'll Taste Manhattan

MARINATED MUSHROOMS (1 qt)
    1 lb fresh mushrooms, small to medium size
    1/2 cup olive oil
    1/3 cup red wine vinegar
    2 garlic cloves, minced
    1 tsp salt
    1 tsp oregano
    1/2 tsp crushed, dried hot peppers

Wash & trim mushrooms. Place in a saucepan of boiling water. Turn off heat & let stand 15 minutes. Drain & place in cold water.
    In a medium bowl, combine remaining ingredients. Drain mushrooms; cut into bite-sized pieces, if desired & add to marinade. Let stand at least 1 hour before serving. Best made the day before. Will keep in the refrigeratoe for a week or more.~~Bound to Please

• gardenkat
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks Linda & Ginger. You've give me lots of good ideas!

• woodie
    18 years ago

That appetizer thread is really a good one, lots of good ideas there. And thanks, Ginger, for some new ideas. Here's one which I haven't tried yet so maybe I shouldn't post it since I can't vouch for it, but it sounds good and easy to me and I plan to make it on Wednesday, so I'll report back.

Chicken Cigars
    By Rachael Ray

Difficulty: Easy
    Prep Time: 10 minutes
    Cook Time: 15 minutes
    Yield: 4 servings

1 1/2 pounds ground chicken breast
    2 teaspoons ground cumin
    2 teaspoons paprika
    2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
    2 teaspoons chili powder
    2 teaspoons grill seasoning (recommended: Montreal Seasoning by McCormick), half a palm full
    2 tablespoons chopped parsley leaves, a handful
    4 sheets phyllo dough
    4 tablespoons butter, melted

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
    Place chicken in a bowl and mix with spices and parsley.
    Place a piece of phyllo on a nonstick cookie sheet, butter it and top with a second sheet.
    Divide the chicken in half. Form a 1-inch thick log the length of the long side of the phyllo dough. Roll the log in phyllo tightly.
    Cut the chicken filled phyllo into 4 "cigars" and brush with a dab more butter. Repeat to make a total of 8 chicken and phyllo roll-ups.
    Bake 12 to 15 minutes until golden.

• Carol Schmertzler Siegel
    18 years ago

That sounds great, Woodie!

This was very good. We made it at a Viking cooking class and it was a hit at the class. I haven't made it at home yet! and it looked nice on a big serving platter!

Cobb Salad in Endive Spears

1 ounce blue cheese, crumbled (about 1/4 cup)
    3 slices bacon, cooked until crisp, cooled, and crumbled
    2 ounces chicken or turkey breast, finely diced
    1/2 small avocado, peeled and finely chopped
    1 small ripe, red tomato, seeded and finely diced, divided
    1/4 cup sour cream
    2 tablespoons mayonnaise
    salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
    1 to 2 heads endive, separated into spears

2 tablespoons finely chopped flat-leaf parsley

For the Salad: In a medium mixing bowl, gently toss together the blue cheese, bacon, chicken, avocado, and half of the diced tomatoes. In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the sour cream and mayonnaise.

Gently fold the mayonnaise mixture into the chicken mixture, then season to taste with salt and pepper; chill at least 1 hour before serving.
    To Assemble: Arrange the endive spears on a platter. Spoon a small amount of salad into each spear, then sprinkle with the remaining tomatoes and the chopped parsley; serve immediately.

*Note: Have your deli cut a thick, 2-ounce slice of turkey or chicken breast for you; when you are ready to make the recipe, simply dice that slice. (Viking Home Chef)

• anniebpa
    18 years ago

You're having my favorite kind of party--I think people really do enjoy the freedom to move about the room as they chat and nibble on an assortment of one or two-bite foods. Here are a few of my old favorites that are fairly easy to throw together and/or prepare in advance:

APPETIZER TORTILLA PINWHEELS

8 oz. sour cream
    1 8-0z pkg cream cheese
    1 can diced green chillies, well-drained
    1 can black olives, chopped
    1 cup cheese, shredded
    1/2 c chopped green onion
    garlic powder, to taste
    salt

5 10-inch flour tortillas
    salsa (your own or bottled)

Mix all ingredients together (using room temp or softened cream cheese. Spread mixture onto a tortilla and roll-up, jelly roll style. Prepare a day or two in advance; place rolls in plastic bags and refrigerate until ready to serve. To serve, cut into 1/2 inch slices (and/or on the diagonal); arrange on a serving platter along with a small bowl of salsa for dipping.

CREPE HAM ROLL-UPS (Making crepes is easy once you get the hang of it!)

Crepes
    1 cup flour
    1/4 tsp salt
    1 1/4 c. milk
    2 eggs
    2 T. melted butter/margarine
    veg. oil
    Mix the first 5 ingredients together by hand--don't overmix. It's a very thin pancake batter. Place a small amount of oil in 7-8" teflon coated pan. Pour a small amount of batter into pan and proceed to prepare the crepes.
    (This makes about 10-12 crepes.)

10-12 thin slices baked/boiled (deli) ham

FILLING:
    1 8-oz pkg cream cheese, softened
    3 T. mayonnaise
    1 T. chopped chives
    2 tsp lemon juice
    1/2 tsp dried dill weed (I always use more)
    1/4 tsp onion powder
    1/4 tsp paprika
    1/8-1/4 tsp red pepper

Mix all ingredients well. Spread onto the prepared crepe. Place slice of ham atop cream mixture. Roll jellyroll fashion. Store rolls in plastic bag in refrigerator until ready to serve. Then, slice in 1/2" pieces; arrange on serving plate.

ARTICHOKE SPREAD (I've had this recipe for more than 20 years and have shared it with many--other versions add mozzarella cheese. It might work with light mayonnaise, but I'm not sure that it would with fat-free)

1 c. parmesan cheese
    1 c. mayonnaise
    1 can (approx 14 0z.) artichokes, drained.

Coarsely chop artichokes (do not use marinated); mix with cheese and mayonnaise. Bake in 350 oven until slightly browned and bubbly. (about 20-25 min) Serve with Triscuits, water biscuits, or some favorite cracker.

SPINACH DIP --Knorr's recipe--great for a crowd

1 10 oz.pkg. frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
    1 container (16 oz) sour cream
    1 cup mayonnaise
    1 pkg. Knorr vegetable soup mix
    1 can (8 oz) water chestnuts, drained and chopped
    3 green onions chopped

Mix all ingredients together. Cover; chill at least two hours before serving. (Can be made a day or two ahead and refrigerated.) Before serving, stir well. Mixture can be spooned into a round bread bowl. (I always use pumpernickel.) Serve with cut-up vegetables, bite-size bread pieces, and/or chips.

• CA Kate z9
    18 years ago

I posted this another thread, but thought it might be useful to you:

Estimating Quantities of Hors d'Oeuvres

When estimating quantities of hors doeuvres for a party, keep these guidelines in mind. As a rule of thumb, most guests will consume 8 to 10 bite-size pieces for every 60 to 90 minutes of a party. However, the larger the variety of offerings, the more hors doeuvres that will be consumed because everyone will want to try at least one of each item. At the beginning of a party, especially if it is in the early evening, the pace of eating will be faster and then will slow as people satisfy their initial appetite.

If your party lasts longer than 90 minutes and is intended to replace dinner, the pace of eating will speed up again after 2 hours. In this case, it is important to have enough hors doeuvres ready and waiting in the kitchen to replenish empty platters.

For an average-size party, with 8 to 20 guests, plan on 2 hot and 2 cold passed items and 1 or 2 buffet itemsa total of 5 or 6 selections. If you will be hosting 30 to 40 guests, add 1 more of each hot and cold item plus 1 more buffet selection.

Adapted from Williams-Sonoma Collection Series, Hors d'Oeuvre, by Brigit L. Binns (Simon & Schuster, 2001).

Meat Portions for Parties

Whether it's casual or elegant, a buffet simplifies entertaining a houseful of guests. The culinary centerpiece is usually the meat youll serveand most often a selection of several. To assist you in estimating the amounts needed, we turned to two nationally known caterers, Paula LeDuc and Mary Micucci. Both speak from the experience of feeding hundreds as easily as dozens several times a week.

Micucci offers this advice for a full-course buffet: "When determining meat quantities, heres my good rule of thumb. If youre serving one kind of meat, order 8 to 10 oz. of raw meat per person, or 6 to 8 oz. of fish or chicken. If youre serving two kinds, figure on 5 oz. of each per person."

For the buffet table at a cocktail party, LeDuc says, "We allow 2 oz. of smoked salmon per person if other proteins are offered on the table, or 4 oz. per person if salmon is the main course. When we serve hot slices of roast beef or turkey, 3 to 4 oz. per person is appropriate. And for any hors doeuvres that will be passed, I calculate the quantities needed in terms of bites, with 5 to 7 bites per person per hour."

• triciae
    18 years ago

Ginger..."Texas Crabgrass" hehehehe Love the name!

• opkikid
    18 years ago

I just made this for our cocktail party and they were gobbled up. This is my made-up recipe for what I did.

Toasted Chickpeas

Thoroughly rinse and drain two cans of chickpeas. Toss with olive oil and spread on a jelly roll pan. Bake at 400 until browned and hot (20 minutes or so). Toss with lots of kosher salt, fresh cracked pepper and your favorite dried herb (I always use savory). Put into a bowl and set out while still warm. They are addictive!

• glenda_al
    18 years ago

Sweet chicken bacon wraps

Makes 12-15 appetizers

1 1/4 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts, about 4
    1 lb pkg sliced bacon
    3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
    2 Tbl chili powder

Cut chicken breasts into 1" cubes
    Cut each bacon slice into third, wrap around each chicken cube, secure with wooden pick.

Stir together brown sugar and chili powder
    Dredge chicken into mixture.

Coat a rack and broiler pan with cooking spray
    Place chicken on rack in broiler pan.
    Bake 350 for 30-35 minutes or until bacon is crisp

• gardenkat
    Original Author
    18 years ago

WOW, more great ideas! I'm glad I stopped by here for another look before going to the grocery store. Now I have to add things to my shopping list. Thanks, everyone.

• luckygardnr
    18 years ago

These are always well received. I just stick a toothpick in each one and arrange on a platter.

Sausage Cheese balls

1 lb sausage meat
    2 cups bisquick or T-bisk
    2 cups shredded cheddar (mild or medium or spiced)

Take your rings off and mix all together with your hands. Then form into 1" balls and place on cookie sheet. Bake at 350F for approx. 20 minutes, or until golden brown.

I usually make a double batch, and freeze them. They can be reheated (in oven only) before serving.

• woodie
    18 years ago

I knew I shouldn't post something before I try it! I wouldn't recommend the Chicken Cigars that I mentioned above! They're just okay, not great, although I must say that our cousin, Kay, loved them and took the recipe home with her and she will definitely be making them again. I think they need a dipping sauce and I just mixed some mayo and mustard at the last minute. I wouldn't bother making them again.

Luckygardener - I absoltuely love those Bisquick sausage cheese balls!

• ginger_st_thomas
    18 years ago

How about this one I've posted before? Everyone I've served it to really liked it & you make it ahead of time:
    ROQUEFORT GRAPES (makes 50)
    1 lb large, seedless red grapes
    10 oz pecans
    4 TBL crumbled Roquefort cheese
    8 oz pkg cream cheese, softened
    2 TBL heavy cream

Wash the grapes & pat dry. Crush the pecans on a platter or sheet of waxed paper. Combine the Roquefort, cream cheese & cream in a bowl & mix well. Roll the grapes in the cheese mixture & then in the pecans, coating well. Chill, covered, until serving time.~~ First Impressions

• doucanoe
    18 years ago

Oooh, I am adding the Sausage Cheese Balls to my menu for next Friday night. I am doing and hors d'oeuvre party, too, here is what I am thinking of making.

Fall Apple Dip (posted by seagrass)
    Parmesan Wafers (from "Finger Food" cookbook)
    Artichoke Bruschetta (I have posted this before)
    Cocktail Leek Pies (from "finger Food")
    Bean Dip w/tortilla chips (from my friend Vicki)
    Sausage Cheese Balls (from above post)
    Litlle Smokies in sauce (they were on sale! LOL)

Linda

• josigirl_wi
    18 years ago

I have made the Sausage Cheese balls before but my recipe also calls for chopped green olives or jalapeños gives it a new twist. Very good though. I have to make two double batches to get enough to last any amount of time.

• teresa_nc7
    18 years ago

Wah Hoo! Something new for the Sausage Balls - jalapenos! Great idea!

Ginger, I think First Impressions is my all time favorite appetizer cookbook.

• msazadi
    18 years ago

Those sausage cheeseballs have been popular since I was a young bride back in the mid 60s!

A variation I found in Thailand actually from another wife was to grind 2/3 boneless skinned chicken breast to 1/3 bacon. Make tiny balls, saute and serve with a sweet/sour dipping sauce of choice. If your bacon is really lean you may need to vary the proportions.

• gourd_friends
    18 years ago

Our church youth group once served Sausage Cheese Balls as an appetizer for a Sweetheart Banquet. The event was held on February 2nd.....so, of course, we called them "Ground Hog Appetizers".

*smile*

Jan

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES