Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
arabellamiller

LOOKING for: Your favorite mac and cheese recipe?

arabellamiller
16 years ago

Nothing low calorie, I'm looking for a seriously rich mac & cheese with a crunchy topping.

Thanks

AM

The Dinner Chronicles

Comments (4)

• gigi_7
    16 years ago

Then this is what you are looking for!

This is, in my humble opinion, the ultimate comfort food and definitely the Ultimate Mac & Cheese!

12 Tbsp unsalted butter (1 1/2 sticks)
    3 cups white crusty bread, cut into 1/4 inch pieces
    4 cups half & half
    1 cup milk
    1/2 cup flour
    2 tsp. salt
    1 tsp. freshly ground pepper
    1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes
    1 tsp. garlic powder (or granulated garlic)
    1/4 tsp. freshly grated nutmeg
    2 cups Tillamook Vintage White Cheddar Cheese, shredded
    2 cups Tillamook Sharp Cheddar Cheese, shredded
    2 cups gruyere cheese, shredded (or other Swiss)
    1 1/4 cups Romano cheese, shredded
    1 pound large macaroni with grooves
    Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Butter and set aside a 9x13 casserole dish. Combine bread cubes (or crumbs) with 4 Tbsp melted butter and 1/2 tsp garlic powder. Set aside.
    Melt 6 Tbsp butter in large saucepan. Add flour and cook and whisk for a minute or two. Slowly add milk, half & half and 1 1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp pepper, 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes, 1/2 tsp garlic powder and nutmeg. Continue cooking and whisking until mixture bubbles and becomes thick.
    Remove pan from heat and stir in 2 cups sharp cheddar, 1 cup vintage white cheddar, 1 cup Swiss cheese and 1 cup Romano; set cheese sauce aside. Blend the remaining cheese together.
    Cook macaroni in a large pan of boiling water 2-3 minutes less than manufacturer's directions. Drain well and rince under cold running water. Add salt and pepper to taste and 2 Tbsp butter. Stir cheese sauce into the macaroni.
    Pour mixture into a 9x13 dish. Sprinkle with remaining cheese and buttered bread crumbs. Bake until browned on top.....about 30-40 minutes.

• lpolk
    16 years ago

Since this is my DH's favorite dish, I have a whole cookbook on it. His favorite is this fancyish one, more of a "quattro fromaggio" type, very rich with a smoky taste, from a local restaurant.

Daddy O's Mac and Cheese

4 TB Flour
    4 TB unsalted butter
    4 cups whole milk (for xtra richness, use half/half or light cream)
    1 bay leaf
    ground nutmeg
    ground cayenne pepper
    ground pepper
    salt

1/2 lb smoked mozzerella, grated/shred
    1/2 lb good cheddar, grated
    1/4 lb crumbled gorgonzola
    1/8 lb asiago, grated

1 lb orecchiette pasta (or I often use cavatelli)

------
    Preheat oven to 350

Boil water for pasta, cook to just al dente and drain.

In the meantime, scald milk in small saucepan with bay leaf

Melt butter in saucepan, add flour and cook roux for 3 minutes until golden. Discard bay leaf from milk and add slowly, stirring constantly. Add a dash of nutmeg, cayenne, salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a light simmer stirring until thick.

Remove from heat and add cheeses, stirring until melted.

Add pasta to sauce, stirring to coat evenly. Pour into 3qt casserole dish (I use mini individual crocs, sprayed w/ butter pam).

Bake for about 25 minutes, or until golden on top.

• Terri_PacNW
    16 years ago

I like to stir in a big spoonful of sourcream into my cheese sauce, and extra grated cheese into the noodles, then top with the cheese sauceand mix..
    and Cream cheese is also a wonderful addition..about 4 ounces or so to a pound of pasta.

• arabellamiller
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you! Exactly what I was looking for.

I have a few dinners to make for friends in need and I'm hoping to do a triple batch and get them all done at one.

AM

Sponsored
Virginia Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars151 Reviews
Virginia's Award Winning One Stop Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Resource