Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenlad

RECIPE: Gotta Love It When A Plan Comes Together

gardenlad
17 years ago

On another thread Annie posted a recipe for Rye Party Puffs with Corned Beef Filling. I suggested, at the time, that with a few modifications you would wind up with mini-Reubens.

I'm pleased to say that I've since tried it, and it worked even better than expected. So, for anyone interested, here's the procedure. Items marked with a(*) represent changes to Annie's otherwise great recipe:

Mini-Reubens

For the puffs:

1 cup water

1 stick butter

1/2 cup each all-purpose and rye flour

1 cup grated Swiss cheese (* added)

1/2 tsp garlic powder

1/4 tsp salt

4 eggs

Caraway seeds

(* recipe called for 2 tsp dried parsley, which was omited)

Preheat oven to 400.

In a saucepan over medium hneat, bring water and butter to a boil. Add both flours, garlic, and salt all at once. Cook, stirring, until a smooth ball forms. Remove from heat. Beat in eggs, one at a time, until smooth.

Drop the batter by double-tbls (* original makes smaller puffs using runded teaspoonfuls) onto greased baking sheet, spacing about 2" apart. Sprinkle with caraway seeds. Bake for 18-20 minutes or until golden. Remove to wire racks to cool (*original said to cut a slit in each pull to allow steam to escape, but I find this step unnecessary).

Note: Brushing the puffs with milk before sprinkling with caraway seeds should result in a shinier, more crusty top.

for the filling

1 pkg whipped cream cheese (* re: 2 8-oz pkg)

3 1/2 oz diced corned beef (*re: 2 packages)

1/2 cup mayonnaise

2 tbls chopped onion

1 tsp spicy brown mustard

pinch garlic powder

1/2 cup well wrung kraut (*replaces chopped olives)

(*Original called for minced chives, which I thought unnecessary, and 1/4 cup sour cream, which I left out merely because I forgot to include it.)

Combine all the ingredients in a mixing bowl. Split puffs. Spread with filling. Serve immediately or refrigerate until needed.

So there you go. Not quite a Reuben. But close enough. And a great party dish. Or, as we used them, as a soup & sandwich meal.

Comments (8)

• homesforsale
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I have to make these! Not today..But I have to make these!Do u have a photoplease?

• gardenlad
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Sorry, Monique. I'm a dinosaur, and only use real film. Don't even know how a digital camera works.

• chase_gw
    17 years ago

Oh they do sound wonderful! On my short list!

I could imagine a "mini" cocktail party with these, your mini burgers, Monique, some sort of mini hot dogs, OH and the mini brown hots gardenlad mentioned on another thread. Could be fun especially if worked into a soup tasting party. Gotta remember this !!!

Thanks again for the recipe Gardenlad.

• doucanoe
    17 years ago

Saved in the memory banks (aka: to try file)

Thanks, Gardenlad!

Linda

• homesforsale
    17 years ago

Sharon.. every time you post a recipe..or make a comment..I think..:"We like all the same things:) "

• gardenlad
    Original Author
    17 years ago

"I could imagine a "mini" cocktail party with these..."

With a little thought, almost any entree can be miniturized for something like that. A lot of the big celebrity parties are nothing more than those sorts of foods, including such things as mini-mac & cheese, mini-burgers, mini-corndogs.

I like going the mini route for parties, setting out trays of goodies that I enjoy as entrees. Here's an example:

Lamb Patties on Squash Carpets.

Cut a peeled butternut or similar squash into discs about 5/8 thick. Poach the squash until it is barely tender. Cool. Using a small cookie cutter, shape the squash into equal-sized rounds.

Mix 1 pound ground lamb with 2 tsp baharat. Using a heaping tablespoon of this mixture, shape into patties no wider than the squash rounds. Pan fry the patties, in batches, to desired degree of doneness. I cook them 2-3 minutes per side. Keep patties warm.

Make a mint aioli. To a large dollop of mayo add 2-3 minced garlic cloves and about a teaspoon of minced fresh mint.

Arrange squash rings on a baking sheet. Sprinkle each with a little brown sugar, nutmeg, and cinnamon. Pop under the broiler until sugar melts and glazes the squash. Transfer squash to a serving platter. Top each squash ring with a lamb pattie. Spoon some aioli over the lamb. Garnish with mint leaves.

Another approach is to use wonton wrappers to create all sorts of stuffed goodies. These can be boiled (like ravioli), pan fried (like pot stickers), deep fried, or baked.

In each case I prep the wrappers the same way. I'm comfortable working six-up. so I lay that many out on a work surface. Each is brushed with an egg wash. Then a couple of teaspoonfulls of filling are laid in the center, and the whole thing covered with a second wrapper. Make sure to press the wrappers together well, to seal. I then trim them all to size with a cookie cutter---in this case using either a corrugated or fluted-edge. Although slower, you can trim them to size with a fluted pastry wheel too. Here's an example:

Mushroom Puffs

1 lb muchrooms, chopped fine
    1 med onion, choped fine
    2 tbls butter
    1/2 cup sour cream
    1 tbls flour
    1/4 tsp pepper
    2 eggs mixed with 2 tbls water (egg wash)
    Bread crumbs
    Seasoned salt

Saute mushrooms and onions in butter until onions are transparent. Combine sour cream, flour, salt & pepper. Add to mushroom mixture. Continue cooking, stirring constantly, until mixture bubbles, about 2 minutes.

Mix crumbs and salt at the rate of 1/2 cup crumbs to 1/2 tsp salt.

Fill wonton wraps as outlined above. Dip into egg wash, then into crumbs, coating well.

Bake at 400 degrees until golden brown, about 12-15 minutes.

Wonton wraps can also be used to create edible cups, by pressing them into a muffin tin and baking at 350 for a couple of minutes until they turn crisp and slightly brown. Then fill them with whatever you prefer; from quiche to taco salad to dessert stuff. For even smaller versions, use the mini-muffin tins, trimming the wonton wrap as necessary.

Getting back to Annie's recipe. Using either her rye recipe or standard paste, you can use a pastry tube to create all sorts of shapes. So, instead of just dropping by spoonsful, pipe out crescents, and rounds, and triangles and rings. Then use each shape for a different filling; perhaps chicken salad in one, ham spread in another, pate fois gras in yet a third.

Like I say, the possibilities are endless.

• homesforsale
    17 years ago

Thank you! Great ideas..

• eileenlaunonen
    15 years ago

I was looking for a stuffed ruben style recipe and as it goes this site has it....I love this forum!

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County