eileenlaunonen

LOOKING for: t&t suaerbrauten

eileenlaunonen
15 years ago

Please share if you a have T&T recipe TIA

Comments (6)

• ginger_st_thomas
    15 years ago

I have one I really like but you seldom come back & acknowledge whether you ever see the recipes people type out or not.

• lindac
    15 years ago

Here's how I make Saurbraten....a friend who's grandmother lived in the Amana colonies taught me how.
    Oh and please don't feel you have to thank me....I give out recipes freely without ever expecting anything.

You need about a 4 pound roast...I like rump...but round or even shoulder will do.
    Make your marinade:
    Into a sauce pan put
    2 cups water
    2 cups redwine vinegar
    2 or 3 bayleaves
    1 tsp peppercorns
    1/2 tsp mustard seeds
    2 onion sliced
    1/4 tsp powdered ginger.
    Bring to a boil and pour over the meat in a covered non reactive dish...plastic or glass, cover and refrigerate for at least 3 days, turn the meat at least twice a day. The old timers didn't refrigerate while marinating...but I do!

At the end of that time remove the meat, strain the marinade discarding solids.
    Place the meat and enough of the marinade to come 1/2 way up the sides of the meat in a dutch oven.
    Peel and slice thin a small red onion and put on top of the meat and place in a 300 oven for 3 1/2 to 4 hours, turning every 40 minutes or so.
    When the meat is almost fork tender....reduce the remaining marinade to about 1/2.
    Remove the meat to a platter to make the gravy.
    powder gingersnaps in the blender ( or crush fine with a rolling pin) measure 1/4 cup of gingersnap powder, add 2 T flour to that and mix. Add the reduced marinade to the stuff in the Dutch oven and put it on a stovetop burner and bring to a boil, slowly stir the gingersnap flour mix into the mixture, stirring constantly, cook 3 or 4 minutes until thickened. Taste....you might want to add salt, I never do...or sugar...I sometimes do if the vinegar was very sour.
    Slice meat thin and serve with gravy.
    Linda c

• ginger_st_thomas
    15 years ago

Linda, reread what I said. I never care about "thank you." I doubt that anyone can say I'm stingy about sharing recipes.

• eileenlaunonen
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Wow...Sorry but these days I tend to be very busy working a full time job,raising 4 kids and basic everyday situations. Thats why I put "Thanks In advance"....Some recipes I save, but yet to try. I thought I usually Thank the folks who post recipes... gather ive annoyed people here in the past...I must be slipping...my apologies. Thank you Linda I will certainly let you know if I try this recipe.

• lindac
    15 years ago

There's no need to post a follow up for me. Read it... or not. Make it....or not. Makes no difference to me.
    But my answering a request for a recipe will never have anything to do with my expectations that you will return to the thread and say you read the recipe...

• annova914
    15 years ago

This is my godmother's recipe. Her note to me said that it ..."was published in the October 1952 issue of Woman's Day. I still have the brown and worn original. Have made a few adjustments over the years; instead of 2 cups vinegar use 1-1/2 cups vinegar & 1/2 cup red wine. Brown it carefully on low to medium heat to keep it from burning. I serve this with wide noodles, red cabbage, and applesauce." Ann
    SAUERBRATEN

4 lbs. beef for pot roast (bottom round, boneless chuck, or brisket)
    2 tsps salt
    1 tsp ginger
    2 cups cider vinegar [here's where I use 1/2 cup red wine for 1/2 cup of the vinegar]
    2-1/2 cups water
    2 medium onions sliced
    2 Tbsps mixed pickling spices
    2 bay leaves
    1 tsp whole black pepper
    8 whole cloves
    1/3 cup sugar
    2 Tbsps fat

Wipe meat; rub with salt and ginger; put in large bowl. Combine remaining ingredients except fat; bring to boil and pour over meat. Cool, cover, put in refrigerator for three days; turn meat once each day.

Remove meat from pickling liquid; reserve liquid. Dry meat with paper towel. Brown meat on all sides in fat in heavy skillet. Put on rack in skillet. Add 1 cup reserved liquid and half the onions and spices from the liquid. Cover tightly and simmer very slowly for 3 ½ hours or until tender adding more liquid as needed.

Remove meat to hot platter. Strain liquid in pan and return to heat. Strain in additional
    pickling liquid to make about 2 cups. Skim off any excess fat. Thicken gravy with a little flour or with 1/2 dozen crumbled gingersnaps. Serve with sliced meat. ********

On a personal note, I'm sorta with Ginger as I'm curious to know if our recipes are helping the person searching for a certain kind of recipe.

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio