Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carmie2

LOOKING for: Beef Taco Recipe

carmie2
16 years ago

Wanted your best taco filling recipe using beef...Thank you!

Comments (7)

• lindac
    16 years ago

I just brown up a pound hamburger and break it apart and add taco seasoning to taste.
    Then I warm the flour tortillas in a pan with a little bit of oil and fill it with some of the meat and offer an assortment of chopped green onions, chopped tomato, shreded lettuce, salsa and grated cheese.
    Not much recipe to it.
    Linda C

• angelaid
    16 years ago

I simmer stew meat or sirloin in a little bit of water with taco seasoning until it falls apart. Shred and use as a filling for tacos, burritos or enchiladas.

• nanabelle
    16 years ago

I have been making Beef Tacos for about 50 years (was taught by a mexican) and really haven't varied how I do them. Instead of browning my ground beef, I now microwave it in a large bowl so I can pour out the fat. It takes about 4 times at 4 minutes to get to a browned state. I add 4 oz of diced green chiles after the first 4 minutes for each pound of beef that I cook. I will tell you the fried way, though.

Fry l pound of ground beef, about 15% fat for flavor
    stir in 4 oz can of diced green chiles into meat when you start to cook the meat so they give the meat flavor.

Heat vegetable oil in a small iron skillet to very hot and use tongs to place a corn tortilla into oil on one side. Let it sit for a few seconds and then flip it over, bending it softly at that time to make the shell and let the outside crisp up and turn it over for the other side to crisp. Remove and drain shell open side down on paper towels or brown paper bags to remove the excess oil. there is a right and wrong side to a tortilla and for the life of me I can't figure out which side, but I like the side that bubbles up and separates on the outside.

I put the beef into the corn taco shells and then place them out for filling. I personally fill in the order below.

green or red taco sauce sprinkled on the meat
    chopped onions
    chopped tomatoes
    shredded lettuce
    shredded jack and/or cheddar cheese on top

We like to take several tacos and the fillings on our individual plates so we don't have to keep coming back and fill each taco again from the serving spot.

My daughter fills her uncooked corn shells with the beef and then cooks them in the vegetable oil. A lot of mexican restaurants do it this way, also. You get a lot of spitting from the beef into the oil when you do this, but it sure is good.

If you want to serve shredded beef, brisket cooked well done and then shredded and browned a little works.

The thought of tacos is making me hungry, but I am alone tonight so I think I'll head down to Pepe's for the Taco combo, bring it home and enjoy it.

• iris_gal
    16 years ago

I put out the same condiments as the others (plus cilantro in season) but I use canned beef.
    It's packed in gravy (which I give to the cat) in a 12 oz. tuna-shaped can. Several manufacturers, Libby, Amour, etc., packed in Argentina. I like this "stringy" beef for tacos.

The last I bought at CostCo and it's in broth and from Brazil. Kirkland brand --- not as happy with it.

While heating the oil in a cast iron skillet, smash a chunk or two on *one side* of the corn tortilla. Lay that in the hot oil until soft enuf to fold over. Lay in another and repeat. Fry just til lightly browned (still pliable). Drain on heavy paper in a warmish oven. Makes 8-10.

Leftovers are yummy for breakfast as is!

• dinkans
    16 years ago

I brown and drain about 1 1/2 pounds of ground beef. I take one pint of (home canned) pinto beans and blend them (in their juices) until smooth. (Commersal canned beans could also be used.) I add this bean pure' to the browned/drained beef, along with 1/2 of a packet of taco seasoning (Aldies). I reheat this mixture and make up my tacos, burritos, etc. (My children don't like beans. But if they don't see them. . . and this stretches the beef while adding inexpensive nutrition/flavor!)

• annainpa
    16 years ago

Jason's Favorite Tacos:
    Brown 1 lb. ground beef, one small onion chopped fine, two garlic cloves mashed or minced, 1 tsp. salt, 1/2 to 1 tsp. ground cumin, a pinch of oregano and 1/2 c. red salsa. Cook down (maybe 10 min.) over low heat in iron skillet or heavy saucepan until most of sauce is absorbed. Add a little water if needed. Taste and adjust seasoning.
    If you have time and own a small electric grinder, grind some cumin seeds and toast lightly over medium heat in an iron skillet before adding. It will make the flavor pulsate.

Red Salsa: Put into blender jar 1 lb. can of whole peeled tomatoes (or equivalent amount of chopped fresh tomatoes if in season); one small onion, finely chopped; 1 - 3 chopped Progresso Tuscan Peppers ( or substitute jalapeno peppers or dash of chile powder); salt to taste. Turn blender on for a very few seconds--salsa should be a little lumpy.

• carmie2
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you for sharing guys!..They all sound good!..I copied them all!

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths