Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
girlblue_gw

LOOKING for: Phyllo cup appetizer

girlblue
18 years ago

I'm having a party and bought phyllo cups (they were on sale) but I'm not quite sure what to fill them with.

Any suggestions are very much appreciated.

Thanks!

Comments (30)

• susan_in_nc
    18 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

If you are looking for easy, you can fill them with just about anything -- from chicken salad to pudding (as a dessert).

I've had them filled with crab and shrimp salad, with a small shrimp on the top, with a bit of fresh dill to accent.

I have also had them filled with a purchased spinich/artachoke(sp?) dip. Tasty!

I have a friend that fills and bakes them -- like mini quiche (I never have).

Mostly, I have used them either with a premade salad (seafood, chicken) or as a dessert cup, pudding topped by a strawberry, lemon curd-- that sort of thing.

Susan

• ann_t
    18 years ago

I filled little wonton cups with a mixture of guacamole and then topped some with crab meat and some with baby shrimp, and a dollop of homemade salsa. This would work with phyllo cups too.

Ann

• msazadi
    18 years ago

A rich creamed crab, cf the baked crab dips SANS mayo, topped with a sprinking of chives.

• girlblue
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I would have never thought of filling them with pudding. What a great idea!

• homesforsale
    18 years ago

I have a Canadian Living Thai filled Phyllo cups..wish I had it on hand:)

• doucanoe
    18 years ago

I made some a recipe from a book called "Finger Food" for Xmas called Cocktail Leek Pies. It used puff pastry, with the leek filling between two layers. I made a note to try the filling in puff pastry cups, but I think it would be eually good in phyllo cups. I will try to remember to bring the recipe tomorrow and post it for you. The filling was VERY good.
    You could also use a Spanikopita or Spinach Pie filling in them.
    Linda

• craftyrn
    18 years ago

I've done a these--all easy & good-- but the Feta custards are very good.

SPICY EGGPLANT WITH CARAMELIZED ONIONS
    Ingredients
    3 teaspoons olive oil, divided
    1 tablespoons julienne-cut onions, for garnish
    1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
    1 2/3 cup peeled 1/2 inch cubed eggplant
    2 tablespoons medium diced red bell peppers
    3 tablespoons salsa
    1/4 cup coarsely chopped, firmly packed fresh spinach
    1 tablespoon julienne-cut sun-dried tomatoes
    2 tablespoons reduced fat feta cheese
    15 Athens Mini Fillo Shells (1 box)
    In a small skillet, heat 1 teaspoon of oil over medium heat and slowly sauté onions until fully caramelized and dark brown about 5
    minutes. Remove onions and set aside. Heat 2 teaspoons of oil, add garlic and sauté for 1-2 minutes. Add eggplant and sauté for 7-10 minutes. Add bell peppers and salsa. Simmer until all liquid is evaporated and turn off heat. Add spinach, tomatoes and cheese. Mix lightly. Spoon 1 rounded teaspoon of filling into each fillo shell. Garnish with the caramelized onion. Heat in preheated 350°F oven for 5 minutes. Serve warm.
    Makes 15 Appetizers

LUSCIOUS BLUEBERRY CREAM SWIRLS
    ingredients
    1/3 cup light sour cream
    1 tablespoon powdered sugar
    1/3 cup blended blueberry fat-free yogurt
    1/3 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
    1 package Athens Mini Fillo Shells (15 count)
    Combine sour cream and powdered sugar. Spoon about 1 teaspoon sour cream mixture and one teaspoon blueberry yogurt, side by side, in each Fillo Shell. With the tip of a knife, gently stir the sour cream and yogurt to make a swirled pattern ( do not over mix). Top each shell with whole blueberries and serve immediately.
    Makes 15 Mini Shells

SALMON APPETIZERS
    Ingredients
    3 packages Athens Mini Fillo Shells (15 count)
    1 8 oz. package cream cheese, softened
    2 Tablespoons parsley, finely chopped
    1 Tablespoon lemon juice
    2 teaspoons onion, grated
    1 teaspoon prepared horseradish
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/8 teaspoon black pepper, ground
    1/8 teaspoon liquid smoke seasoning
    1 16 oz. can salmon, drained, cleaned and flaked
    Remove Mini Shells from freezer. In a medium bowl, cream together the cream cheese, parsley, lemon juice, onion, horseradish, salt, black pepper and liquid smoke seasoning.

Add the salmon, mixing lightly. Chill for 1 hour.

Fill each mini fillo shell with 2 teaspoons of filling using a pastry bag or teaspoon. Garnish with sliced scallions, pimentos or sliced olives. Serve cold.
    Yields 45 appetizers

Feta Custard in Phyllo Cups
    Ingredients
    30 1-3/4-inch baked miniature phyllo shells (two 2.1 oz. pkg.) or Homemade Mini-Phyllo Shells (see recipe below)
    1 4-ounce package crumbled feta cheese
    1 3-ounce package cream cheese, softened
    1 egg
    2 teaspoons lemon juice
    1 teaspoon all-purpose flour
    1/3 cup pitted kalamata olives, chopped
    1/2 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
    1/2 teaspoon olive oil
    1/4 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
    1 clove garlic, minced
    Dash ground cumin
    Dash ground red pepper
    Snipped fresh parsley or snipped fresh oregano
    1. Preheat oven to 325 degree F. Place phyllo shells on a large baking sheet. For custard filling, in a medium mixing bowl combine feta cheese, cream cheese, egg, lemon juice, and flour. Beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until nearly smooth. Spoon mixture evenly into phyllo cups, using a scant 2 teaspoons of mixture for each cup. Bake for 15 to 17 minutes or until shells are lightly brown and crisp.
    2. For olive topping, in a small bowl stir together olives, dried oregano, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, garlic, cumin, and red pepper. Sprinkle olive topping evenly over tops of baked custard. Sprinkle each with snipped parsley or oregano. Serve immediately. Makes 30 appetizers.

• HanArt
    18 years ago

I'm gonna be on the lookout for these phyllo cups. I'm major league phyllo-challenged and these babies sound right up my alley. LOL

• Claire Buoyant
    18 years ago

You can cut small cubes of brie and drop them in, then garnish with tiny pieces of roasted red pepper or capers, bake for about 6-8 minutes at 350, they'll disappear quickly!

• girlblue
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I love brie. Filling them with the brie and topping with a preserve might also be delicious.

• ann_t
    18 years ago

What about Alexa's lobster filling that she uses in her Phyllo Triangles with Lobster filling.

Ann

• susan_in_nc
    18 years ago

I love the brie idea, with some toasted almonds!

The feta cheese filling also looks very good.

Susan

• Terri_PacNW
    18 years ago

Oh I have a Key Lime Filling recipe for the phyllo cups....I made it year before last at my annual cookie exchange. It was GONE!

Okay gotta go looking for the recipe booklet it comes in.

Those Blueberry ones look and sound fantastic.

• ruthanna_gw
    18 years ago

I use this as a filling in phyllo triangles but I think it would also work with the phyllo cups:

CRAB & BRIE FILLING

1 Tbs. butter
    2 Tbs. minced shallots
    ½ pound crabmeat, well picked over for shell
    ¼ tsp. salt
    ¼ tsp. pepper
    2 tsp. minced parsley
    Tabasco to taste (optional
    ½ pound Brie cheese, cut in thin slices

Melt the butter in a skillet. Add shallots and saute until golden. Add the crab and heat through. Season with remaining ingredients except cheese. Spread the slices of Brie over the crab and keep over low heat without stirring until the Brie softens enough to be stirred without breaking up the lumps of crab. When the mixture is fairly homogenous, set aside and let cool a bit.

• girlblue
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks so much for all the great recipes. For my party, I ended up filling some of the cups with chocolate pudding with a sprinkle of cinnaminin and some with guacamole, salsa, a bit of sour cream, topped with crab meat. They were both delicous. In my search, I also found this recipe that I thought I'd share:

Phyllo filled with Marsala Mushrooms
    1 lb sliced mushrooms
    2 medium onions, chopped
    1/2 stick butter
    1 tsp dried sage
    salt
    pepper
    1 cup Marsala wine (could use sherry, brandy or madera just as easily)
    Phyllo pastry shells
    Grated Parm cheese

Sautee mushrooms and onions in butter until soft. Add herbs and seasoning and simmer another few minutes. Add wine and cook until reduced to almost gone.

Fill cups with mushroom mixture. Top with a sprinkly of cheese and bake, if desired in a 350 oven until pastry is hot.

• sapphires
    18 years ago

Hi,
    Okay, where in the store would these already made phyllo cups be located? Thank you.

Sapphires

• girlblue
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Phyllo cups are located in the freezer section of the grocery store near the puff pastry and ready made appetizers.

• lar11833
    17 years ago

I bought mine at Walmart Super Store.

Lilly

• homesforsale
    17 years ago

I know I am late for the party but I finally found it:)

It's a keeper:)

Thai Crab Salad Phyllo Cups

A Canadian Living Recipe

The salad filling's taste and colour lend an exotic glamour to your appetizer platter. Spoon the filling into the phyllo cups right before serving.

48 Flaky Phyllo Cups 48

Filling:

3 tbsp Vegetable oil 50 mL
    3 tbsp Lime or lemon juice 50 mL
    2 tbsp Granulated sugar 25 mL
    4 tsp Fish or soy sauce 20 mL
    1-1/2 tsp Peanut butter 7 mL
    1 Clove garlic, minced 1
    Dash Hot pepper sauce Dash
    8 oz Crabmeat (fresh thawed) 250 g
    2/3 cup Each finely chopped English cucumber and sweet red pepper 150 mL
    3 tbsp Each finely chopped green onion and fresh basil or mint 50 mL
    2 tbsp Finely chopped peanuts 25 mL

FILLING: In large bowl, whisk together oil, lime juice, sugar, fish sauce, peanut butter,
    garlic and hot pepper sauce until sugar is dissolved.

Gently squeeze any excess liquid from crab. Add crab to bowl along with cucumber, red pepper, onion and basil; toss to combine. Spoon into phyllo cups. Sprinkle with peanuts.

Makes 48 pieces.

Per piece: about 38 cal, 2 g pro, 2 g total fat (1 g sat. fat), 3 g carb, trace fibre, 6 mg
    chol, 107 mg sodium. % RDI: 1% iron, 2% vit A, 5% vit C, 2% folate.
    Tip: If desired, you can substitute salad shrimp for the crabmeat.

• breanna_22
    16 years ago

i found a sweet onion recipe that might b yummy...

• khandi
    16 years ago

Strawberry Tartlets

The wonton "cups" can be made in advance. Serves 12 and can easily be doubled.

12 wonton wrappers
    3 tbsp butter, melted
    1/3 cup packed brown sugar
    ¾ cup Mascarpone cheese
    2 tbsp honey
    2 tsp orange juice
    3 cups fresh strawberries, sliced
    Whipped cream and fresh mint, optional

Brush one side of each wonton wrapper with butter.

Place brown sugar in a shallow bowl; press buttered side of wontons into sugar to coat. Press wontons sugared-side-up into greased muffin cups.

Bake at 325° for 7-9 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Remove to a wire rack to cool.

In a bowl, combine the cheese, honey and orange juice. Spoon about 1 tablespoon into each wonton cup. Top with strawberries. Garnish with whipped cream and mint if desired.

My niece once made this concoction in phyllo bundles and I'm sure it would work in wonton cups too. It was rich but very, very good... and I'm not a cheese lover but really loved this.

She made a dark nut brittle ahead of time. She put some cranberry sauce in a saucepan with a little butter and some red cabernet sauvignoc, and reduced it a little bit.

For the assembly, she place a piece of brittle in center of cut phyllo strip, then placed a piece of brie on top of the brittle, then poured a little bit of cranberry sauce mixture on the brie. Bring up the ends of the phyllo to form a "bundle" and sprayed it with PAM. Place on cookie sheet and put in the oven for a number of minutes to crisp up the phyllo. She then placed it in the microwave for a few seconds to make sure the brie melted or whatever (I think she did this cuz it wasn't in oven long enough..not sure).

It was rich but the taste and texture was awesome! You had the crispiness of the phyllo, the crunchiness of the nut brittle, the creaminess of the cheese, and the savoury taste of the cranberry/wine sauce.

• patti43
    16 years ago

I'm late, too, but I got this recipe from the Athens phyllo recipe site and it sounds pretty darned good.

BLUE MOON APPETIZERS

$5,000 Grand Prize Winner Gilda Lester, Wilmington, NC

Ingredients
    8 ounces softened cream cheese
    1/4 cup bleu cheese
    2 tablespoons softened butter
    2 tablespoons chopped chives, reserve 1 tablespoon for garnish
    1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
    2 ounces chopped prosciutto
    1/4 cup finely chopped lightly toasted walnut
    15 Athens® Mini Fillo Shells (1 box)
    2 tablespoons toasted chopped walnuts for garnish

In a medium bowl, mix cream cheese, bleu cheese, butter, 1 tablespoon chives and lemon juice until blended. Add prosciutto and walnuts mixing lightly. Using a pastry bag, pipe a rounded tablespoon of mix into each Fillo Shell. Garnish with walnutsand reserved chives. Serve immediately.

Makes 15 Appetizers

• luannec_charter_net
    15 years ago

I am taking a dessert made with fillo cups to a pot luck luncheon. Part of the filling is pudding. If I assemble the dessert prior to transporting it to the luncheon, will the fillo cups become soggy before they are served (it'll probably be an hour from when I leave the house until they are served)? The recipe says to bake the cups for 3-5 minutes until crispy before filling. I've never worked with phyllo before so I just want to make sure the cups are still crispy by the time everyone starts eating them. I'd rather not have to assemble them after I get there but I will, if that's what I need to do. I just found this forum and my pot luck is today so I'm hoping someone will see this and reply. Thanks!

• blueiris24
    13 years ago

Craftyrn -- Just wanted to tell you that you saved my butt today by having posted your recipes years ago... did a general search for phyllo shell appetizer recipes because I had a MISHAP with something I was making on my way to a party and had some shells in the freezer -- and I had all the ingredients for one of your recipes onhand -- so you never know how long you will help someone with something you posted! Thanks all, Happy Holidays!

• nancy8947
    13 years ago

Mix up some Manwich and fill them with hot mixture. they will disappear fast at your gatherings

• oldladye88_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

I'm looking for a phillo dessert recipe that had sour cream, cream chesse, and caramel syrup in it. Can someone please help me. This was a reduced calorie recipe when I first found it.
    Thank you.

• Hellion
    13 years ago

Quick and easy and delicious sweet idea. Fill the phyllo cups with the prepared cheesecake filling purchased in the dairy isle and top with blueberries, raspberries or cut strawberries. Yummy!

• tmpspamaddress_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

I fill mine with a square of cream cheese (or if you wanted it to look fancy you could use a piping bag and large star tip) and bake them for about 5-10 minutes, then top with a mixture of half pineapple preserves and half jalapeno jelly (less if you want it less spicy). They go so quick I usually have to make 3 or 4 batches.

• shalini_ramkumar_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

Hey I am in AZ in the city of Chandler. I cannot find phyllo cups anywhere! I see Athen's brand but the box looks small for 15 shells. I am wondering if they would be too tiny. Has anyone used this brand before? Anyone in the Phoenix are seen phyllo shells in any store?