Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
LOOKING for: Coconut Pecan Frosting (German choc cake)

Posted by janet_ks (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 18, 07 at 9:25

I'm looking for a tried and true recipe for coconut pecan frosting that you would put on a German chocolate cake. Anyone have one they'd like to share?

Thanks,
Janet

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: LOOKING for: Coconut Pecan Frosting (German choc cake)

Sure Janet. Check out the Recipezaar link below. Although I didn't post the original recipe, I took the picture, since we make this cake at least twice a year.

Here is a link that might be useful: German Chocolate Cake

o

Here's the original cake and frosting recipe directly from the Baker's German Sweet Chocolate bar wrapper:

BAKERS ORIGINAL GERMAN SWEET CHOCOLATE CAKE

1 pkg. (4 oz.) Baker's German sweet chocolate
1/2 cup boiling water
1 cup (2 sticks) butter or margarine
2 cups sugar
4 eggs, separated
1 tsp. vanilla
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup buttermilk
Coconut-Pecan frosting (recipe follows)

Melt chocolate in water, cool. Cream butter and sugar. Beat in egg yolks. Stir in vanilla and chocolate. Mix flour, soda, and salt. Beat in flour mixture, alternately with buttermilk. Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form; fold into batter. Pour batter into three 9-inch layer pans, lined on bottoms with waxed paper. Bake at 350 degrees F. for 30 minutes or until cake springs bake when lightly pressed in center. Cool 15 minutes; remove and cool on rack. Frost cake.

COCONUT-PECAN FROSTING

Combine 1-1/2 cups (12 fl. oz.) evaporated milk, 1-1/2 cups sugar, 4 slightly beaten egg yolks, 3/4 cup butter or margarine and 1-1/2 tsp. vanilla in saucepan. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened. Remove from heat. Stir in 2 cups shredded coconut and 1-1/2 cups chopped pecans. Cool until thick enough to spread. Makes 4-1/4 cups.

o

Thank you ladies!! I appreciate the recipes and the time you took to post an answer for me. Happy Holidays!!

Janet

o

Here's our favorite. I just made this on Monday...for German Chocolate cupcakes filled w/ Bavarian cream....mmmm.....

* Exported from MasterCook *

Coconut Pecan Icing

Recipe By :Katie, from BH&G, 60's Edition
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
2/3 c sugar
3/4 c evaporated milk
1 egg
1/3 c butter
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/3 c flaked coconut
1/2 c chopped pecans -- or 1 cup

Cook and stir over medium heat about 12-15 minutes or until mixture thickens and begins to boil. Remove from heat and add vanilla, coconut and pecans. Frosts 2 8" or 9' layers.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

o

I drizzle this over chocolate brownies to make German Chocolate Brownies too. Yum!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here