Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gram999

LOOKING for: Strawberry Dessert

gram999
15 years ago

Bakc in the 70's, a dessert was popular that was made with strawberries, whipped cream & angel food cake. Does anyone have this? It was wonderful.

Thanks.

Comments (7)

• lindac
    15 years ago

It's just torn up angel food cake and whipped cream layered with strawberries in a dish...
    I also made home made angelfood cake, from scratch not a mix, and just put strawberries on top and topped all with whipped cream.
    There's really no recipe any more than there is a recipe for peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.
    Linda C

• ruthanna_gw
    15 years ago

My aunt used to make one where the cake was sliced horizontally into thirds. Then the center of the center section was cut out so an inner and outer ring were stacked back onto the bottom layer.

The filling for the cut-out area was made from crushed fresh strawberries, sugar, whipped cream and grand Marnier. After the center was filled and the top piece added on, it was frosted with sweetened whipped cream and a the top garnished with sliced strawberries.

The slices had a little tunnel of creamy pink filling.

• ginger_st_thomas
    15 years ago

See if the recipe below is what you remember. Or did it use Cool Whip/Dream Whip?

Here is a link that might be useful: Strawberry Delite

• ginger_st_thomas
    15 years ago

This one also calls for cream cheese & whipped topping. Whipping cream should also work.

Here is a link that might be useful: Strawberry Angel Food

• glenda_al
    15 years ago

I remember this from long ago!

Angel Food poke cake!
    1 large package strawberry Jell-o
    1 store bought angel food cake
    1 cup strawberries sliced

Directions

Open package of sugar free Angel food cake
    Mix Jell-o with one cup hot water.
    Poke holes into the cake with a fork.
    Pour mixed Jell-o into holes.
    Allow to set in refrigerator

Then cut into wedges, top with sliced strawberries and whipping cream!

Yummy!

• maxmom96
    15 years ago

I used to make this years ago. I would buy an angelfood cake, cut the top off and scoop out the insides making sure not to go through the bottom of the cake. Whip cream and fold in a pack of lightly drained thawed frozen strawberries, replace the top of the cake and leave to mellow in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours or overnight. The filling may be sweetened to your liking or the addition of a liqeur might be good, although I thought it was good as is. Decorations purely up to you. I found that letting the cake sit to mellow really enhanced the flavor.

• gram999
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks everyone. They all sound very similar. I'm taking it to a luncheon tomorrow.

Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner