Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dottiescott_gw

RECIPE: Recipes for Kidney Failure

dottiescott
15 years ago

Would appreciate sharing of websites and recipes for renal failure. Do to post-op complications, my husband is on diaylsis. We hope and pray this is temporary. Would love any breadmaker-bread and other baked goods recipes. And any veggie things to temp the appetite of someone who is not a veggie eater. Any help would be appreciated.

Comments (4)

• msmitoagain
    15 years ago

Even my husband who says "do I have to eat something green?" will eat these.

Lettuce and Slaw Salad
    1 16 oz. bag of shedded lettuce
    1 16 oz. bag of shredded cole slaw mix
    Mix together, put the desired amount on a serving plate. Dress with a fat free or low calorie salad dressing. Add tomatoes, carrots, walnuts, dried cranberries, olives or whole wheat croutons with each served salad.

Sauteed Cabbage or Sauteed Brocolli Slaw
    1 head cabbage, cut into thinly shredded pieces
    or 1 package of Brocolli Slaw
    1 or 2 pieces of bacon, cut into tiny pieces
    or when we are dieting we use Smart Balance Margarine
    optional: 1 pkg. of button mushrooms

Melt the margarine in your skillet. Amount will depend on what you are cooking. For 1 head of cabbage I use 1/2 stick of SB margarine. For the broccoli slaw, I use about 1 1/2 TBSP's. If using bacon, saute it in a skillet until it releases some of the oil. Add your cabbage or broccoli slaw and saute it until it is tender. Salt, pepper and garlic powder to taste.

I sometimes add 1 pkg. of button mushrooms to the broccoli slaw.

Fresh Broccoli
    Trim broccoli and cut into small pieces. Boil until tender, then drain well. Melt a little Smart Balance in a skillet. Add broccoli, saute a couple of minutes to coat broccoli. Season with lemon pepper.

Zuchinni Lasagna
    In a 9 x 13 pan, line the bottom of the pan with zuchinni that has been sliced into rounds. Spread 1 16 oz. container of Fat Free Cottage Cheese or Low Fat Ricotta Cheese. Add a layer of Turkey Pepperoni. Add another layer of thinly sliced zuchinni. Top with a bottled meatless spaghetti sauce. Add some reduced fat shredded cheddar cheese. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese. Bake at 400 for 1 hour.

Hope this helps.

Here is a link that might be useful: MY BLOG - The Japanese Redneck

• ginger_st_thomas
    15 years ago

The site below may help. The link is to the recipes section but there are other forums there, too.

Here is a link that might be useful: I Hate Dialysis Forum

• ginger_st_thomas
    15 years ago

There are many links at the site below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Renal Recipes

• shambo
    15 years ago

What are the restrictions for your husband? I looked at the sites Ginger posted, and it sounds like it's mainly a low sodium & low potassium diet. But I'm sure I didn't catch everything.

My husband is on a low sodium diet because of congestive heart failure. I found that the sites that just posted recipes were not all that helpful. The ones that gave information on low sodium products and tips & hints on actual low sodium cooking were more beneficial.

I eventually started a blog about my low sodium cooking adventures so I could keep track of the different techniques & products that I found helpful. I've listed it below.

Here are two low sodium websites that give a lot of helpful information. Both sites have bread recipes for bread machines. And the second to last entry on my blog is about my adventures with a brand new bread maker. Good luck!

http://www.lowsodiumcooking.com/free/index.htm

http://www.megaheart.com/index.html

Here is a link that might be useful: Please DON'T Pass the Salt!

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor