Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
longlegggs_gw

RECIPE: Slovakian Nut, Poppyseed, LecqvarRolls

longlegggs
15 years ago

Is anyone interested in this old Slovanik recipe? It has been passed down for generation in my family. Would love to share it with you.

Comments (13)

• cuffs054
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Yes, please. You wouldn't have a recipe for what we called "pagauch" (sp)? It was a flat bread (like pizza)that was filled with potato/cheese, rolled flat and baked.

• lachele
    15 years ago

That sounds fabulous I would love to see that recipe as well!

• blizlady
    15 years ago

Sure, please do share.

• khawk1411
    15 years ago

Hi,
    My Czech family always had Kolaches aroung holidays- fruit center or my mom's fav was poppyseed. Not familar w/Lecqvar. Is it similar bread dough to Kolache? Or can you describe or share the recipe?
    Thx

• pat_t
    15 years ago

I think they meant Lekvar - which is a thick jam or fruit butter filling. Click here for a better explanation.

• malna
    15 years ago

I'd love to see your recipe. Since we're Hungarian, we call it kals (or nut roll). DH likes it moist, so I developed this recipe, which is pretty close to my grandmother's, but it's missing...something. And I can't figure out what. So I'd love to compare this to somebody else's that may turn up that missing "magic" ingredient :-)

1 package active dry yeast
    1/4 cup warm milk
    2 tablespoons sugar
    1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, room temperature (save the butter wrapper)
    2 eggs
    1/2 cup sour cream
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    4 cups flour (approximately)
    1 egg, beaten with a little water (for egg wash)
    Filling (either homemade or canned)

1. Combine the yeast, milk and sugar in a small bowl. Let stand until foamy (about 10 minutes).
    2. Cream the butter in a large mixing bowl. Add the eggs and mix thoroughly. Add the sour cream and vanilla
    and mix. Add 1 cup flour and the salt and mix (up to this point, IÂm using an electric mixer). Add the yeast
    mixture and another cup of flour and mix (now IÂm using a wooden spoon). Add a third cup of flour and
    mix. If dough is still too sticky, add another 1/4 - 1/2 cup flour.
    3. Turn out onto a floured board and knead for 5 to 8 minutes until dough is smooth and elastic, but it should
    still be soft. I usually end up using a total of about 3-3/4 cups flour, but it depends on the weather.
    4. Grease a large bowl with the butter wrapper (Gram taught me that trick - she didnÂt waste anything). Put
    the dough into it, rub it around to coat, then flip it over. Rub it around again to coat the other side. Cover
    with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place until doubled (usually 1-1/2 to 2 hours).
    5. Punch down the dough and divide in half. Roll one half of the dough out to about 12" x 16" x 1/4" thick. This
    dough is pretty soft, so I roll it out on a floured cloth. Spread filling of your choice over the dough, staying
    about 1 inch away from one short side of the rectangle. Fold up the edges slightly on the long sides to
    contain the filling.
    6. Roll up the dough, jelly roll style, ending with a 12" long roll. Using a cloth helps. Lift up with edges of the
    cloth, and let gravity help get the rolling started. Brush the 1" bare spot with egg wash and pinch the seam
    together to seal. The filling tends to want to explode out while baking, so seal the roll at the seam as best
    you can. It still tastes good if it blows out, so itÂs really no big deal. Repeat with the other half of the dough
    and filling.
    7. Place the filled rolls, seam side down, on a large greased baking sheet. Poke about five times with a fork
    and let rise, covered, for about 45 minutes.
    8. Preheat oven to 350°F. Brush rolls with egg wash. Bake 40 to 45 minutes until top is golden brown.

Traditionally, the fillings are walnut or poppyseed. Bill doesnÂt like walnuts, so I usually make one poppyseed and
    one apricot roll. One can of canned filling is enough for one roll.

• busylizzy
    15 years ago

Malna:
    I make a nut roll almost the same as what you posted.
    What is missing? as you say? the dough or the filling?

Longleggs:
    Would like to see your recipe!

Lizzie, another long legger here, lol

• malna
    15 years ago

Lizzie,
    Something in the dough. It's the right "sweet" level and the right texture, but there's some subtle flavor missing. I've been going back through my memory banks trying to visualize what my grandmother had in her pantry. It could have been the difference in the taste of sour cream in the 1960/70's to today's?

I've been thinking next time I'll try honey instead of sugar. Gram always had a jar of honey around for her tea.

Or perhaps my taste buds think nothing could ever be as good as Gram's!?

• busylizzy
    15 years ago

Send me an email...
    I only use whole milk SC, not non fat I think that makes a difference in the recipe I have.
    Wish I had time for Kolaches, I LOVE those too

• blizlady
    15 years ago

This is exactly what my grandmas kalacs looked like. So yummy!

Here is a link that might be useful: Hungarian Nut Roll

• busylizzy
    15 years ago

malna,
    I can't email you...send me a email
    liz

• theresse
    11 years ago

I know this is a super old thread but I just happened upon it while doing some recipe googling.

I was thinking about the comment about the subtle taste missing and I've had the same problem with trying to recreate my grandmother's recipe. :(

I do seem to recall she used cottage cheese (?) and maybe at some point prunes (!) although the recipe I miss - that I loved so much as a child - didn't have a lot of fruitiness to it. It was more cheesy but with a hint of sweet. I don't know how on earth to recreate it...so thought maybe if I got this thread going again, someone might have more suggestions/versions?

Thanks!

• theresse
    11 years ago

I'm sorry - I went on that tangent but I was thinking of kolach - not of poppyseed rolls - when I wrote that! I originally was looking up a good poppyseed roll recipe then ended up craving kolach (as my grandma used to call it). Anyway back to what I was saying, I think I JUST realized what the missing ingredient might have been. It was a creamy, cheesy sort of filling that went over the top like in an indent (not rolled up, hiding inside), and I think there was some egg in it! It was eggy, a little bit! I don't know how I suddenly remembered that! But I couldn't guess HOW it was eggy/cheesy/mildly sweet. Does anyone have a clue? I want to say a mix of egg and cottage cheese? So strange that I can almost "get" it but not quite! It was soooo long ago. She also used to make crepia (sp) which was taking bread dough, cutting out the center hole like a doughnut then frying it in oil, then shaking it up in a brown paper bag full of powdered sugar. I've NEVER gotten over that - ugh - so delicious. But when I do google searches for crepia or krepia, nothing comes up. Anyone ever heard of that? Thanks!

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County