Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
LOOKING for: City Chicken

Posted by countryham (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 13, 08 at 7:45

Any one have a T&T Recipe for city chicken???

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: LOOKING for: City Chicken

No recipe but I put cubes of pork or veal on wooden skewers, dredge in a mixture of flour, salt, pepper, paprika, and garlic powder and brown them in a small amount of fat (usually 2/3 oil and 1/3 butter).

I add enough water or chicken broth combined with 1/2 a pack of dried onion soup mix to cover them about half way. Cover pan and simmer for 45 minutes to a hour, turning the skewers over after 1/2 hour and adding more liquid if needed. The juices can be thickened with flour and water or served as is over the meat.

o

This is one of DH's favorites!

1 lb. pork, cubed
1 lb. veal, cubed
1 egg
Seasoned flour
Cracker meal (not bread crumbs)

1. Roll cubes of meat in seasoned (salt, pepper, paprika, and/or garlic powder) flour. On bamboo skewers,
thread alternating pieces of pork and veal (about six pieces). Dip skewers in beaten egg (you can mix in
a tiny bit of milk or water), then in cracker meal. Refrigerate at least one hour or preferably overnight.

2. Place Crisco or peanut oil in skillet (olive oil may burn). Brown skewered meat on all sides until golden
brown. Transfer to baking dish and roast in oven at 350 for 45 minutes to 1 hour.

o

This was such a popular dish a church dinners and pot lucks back in the 70's. The Ukrainian ladies made the best ones. I have their church cookbook but it's in a box somewhere in the basement....... : (

They were dredged in flour rather than cracker meal, like Ruthanna describes, but they were cooked as malna describes, no liquid.

I'm betting this is a very regional dish with lots of spins.

o

I think your right about the regional recipes.
Near Pottsville, Pa I had city chicken dry on a skewer, but in Pittsburgh I had it served differently.

Either way, it is great

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here