Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
LOOKING for: Meringue type cookies...

Posted by lisa_in_germany (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 12, 07 at 4:05

I have a lot of egg whites to use up. I want to make some meringue type cookies and some coconut macaroons. Does anybody have some tried and true recipes for me?
Lisa

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: LOOKING for: Meringue type cookies...

MERRY MERINGUES (about 5 dozen)
2 egg whites, room temperature
1/8 tsp salt
1/8 tsp cream of tartar
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1 cup chopped nuts
3 TBL crushed peppermint candy

Preheat oven to 250 (NOT 350). Lightly grease 2 or more baking sheets. Usin a mixer, beat the whites in a medium bowl until foamy. Add the salt & cream of tartar & continue beating until soft peaks form. Add the sugar, 1 TBL at a time, beating well after each addition. Continue beating until the meringue is stiff. Fold in the vanilla, chocolate chips, nuts & candy.
Drop by teaspoonfuls, 1/2" apart onto the prepared baking sheets. Bake 40 minutes. Remove to cake racks to cool.~~

o

Overnight Meringues
4 egg whites
1c sugar
2 tsp almond extract
1 tsp vanilla
2c chopped pecans
2c semisweet mini chocolate chips
Beat eggwhites at room temp til foamy. Add sugar 1 T at a
time til stiff. Add flavorings, mixing well. Fold in nuts and chips.Drop by tsp on foil lined cookie sheet. Place in a 350 oven and immediately turn off oven. Leave in oven without opening overnight. Yield 10 dozen. Store in airtight container.
RL`

o

roselin32,

I haven't had much luck w/the meringue cookies completely drying. The recipes I've tested, haven't given me the results I had been aiming for.

With that, my question is: Does your recipe allow the meringue cookies dry completely to the center?

Lucy

o

Mine always have but I am careful not to make them on a humid day.
RL`

o

This is my grandmother's recipe - we think they're great!

CHOCOLATE WALNUT PUFFS

1 cup (6 ounce package) semi-sweet chocolate chips
2 egg whites, room temp
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 tablespoon white vinegar
3/4 cups chopped walnuts

Preheat oven to 350.
Line cookie sheet with parchment paper.
Melt chocolate over warm water.
Beat egg whites with salt til foamy. Gradually add sugar. Beat til peaks form. Beat in vanilla and vinegar. Fold in chocolate and nuts. Drop from teaspoon onto cookie sheet. Bake 10 minutes at 350. Remove from oven and let sit on cookie sheet for 2-3 minutes to set up.
Makes 36 cookies

o

Thanks, everyone. I will let you know which one I can try. I would love to make Ginger's, but i can't get candy canes over here.
Lisa

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here