Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
LOOKING for: Lemon Chicken Soup

Posted by Jaktup (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 5, 11 at 3:55

I was posting another soup recipe and it reminded me of a soup that I was served in a restaurant north of San Francisco recently. It was a creamy base, had small bits of chicken, a few pieces of rice, and a distinctively tart lemon flavor.

I'd say at a fairly rudimentary guess, they took cream of chicken soup, added a little rice and lemon flavoring. Penzey's carries a powdered lemon flavor which I am adding to my list to pick up next time I go to Santa Rosa. There was not much rice or chicken in it, which I would change. I can't imagine it would be that simple.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: LOOKING for: Lemon Chicken Soup

I think it could have been Avgolemono soup, which is thickened with eggs. Here's my recipe for that, which starts out as a sauce:

Avgolemono Sauce

1 cup chicken stock
2 tbsp butter
2 tbsp flour
4 tbsp lemon juice (approx. one large lemon)
2 eggs
2 tbsp water
1/8 tsp cayenne
1/2 tsp black pepper
salt to taste, unless using soup base that contains salt

Heat the stock.

Make a roux with the butter and flour and add the stock. In a separate bowl, lightly beat the eggs and add the lemon juice and water. Slowly add this mixture to the thickened stock, stirring constantly, and heat to desired temperature. Add pepper and salt, as needed.

For soup, add more stock and pieces of chicken. I usually add cooked noodle (especially wide egg noodles), you can use cooked rice instead.

o
RE: LOOKING for: Lemon Chicken Soup

This looks great! Thanks for such a quick response. I actually have everything for it. This will be dinner tonight!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here