Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dinkans

LOOKING for: help . . . i finally found an orange cake mix. . .

dinkans
18 years ago

SOMEWHERE / SOMETIME (?!) I read a recipe for an orange creamcicle cake. (It sounded so refreshing!) Anyway, it called for an orange cake mix. Now I live in a small, Kansas, town - with a little IGA. . . yesterday they had 3 orange (D.H.) cake mixes on the shelf. I bought 2 - and now can't find the recipe. Of course now it's icy cold, and I probably won't make a "refreshing cake" until spring. . . But provided I can find the recipe, I'd love to give it a whirl . Thanks, in advance for any help!

Comments (6)

• ginger_st_thomas
    18 years ago

Here are several creamsicle/dreamsickle cakes for you to check out.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cakes

• zarine
    18 years ago

You can also make your own orange cake with just orange extract and food coloring. Tastes the same.

• yknotnsb
    16 years ago

I'm trying to locate a Orange Cake mix, but unfortunatly in the small town I live in the grocery stores here dont carry it. I was wondering if anyone would have an idea of just how much Orange extract I would use if I choose to just do a yellow cake and add the extract. Not even sure if that would work... But wondering if anyone has any ideas... anything is welcome

• ginger_st_thomas
    16 years ago

Extracts can be strong. I'd start with a teaspoon. You could sub orange juice for the liquid in the directions also.

• minsue67
    16 years ago

Here's the Orange Cake recipe I use that the family really loves
    Orange Cake:
    1 (18.25 oz) yellow or white cake mix
    1 (3 oz) box of orange jello
    2 eggs
    1/3 cup butter - really softened
    1 1/3 cup orange juice
    1 Tbls orange extract
    Combine all ingredients in a large mixing bowl until well blended. Bake according to cake mix directions and cool.

Orange Glaze:
    1 can of vanilla frosting
    1 Tbls orange extract
    1 Tsp. finely grated orange zest
    Beat frosting until fluffy add extract and zest and spread on cool cake.

• pat_t
    16 years ago

Here's one:

Orange Dreamsicle Layer Cake

Vegetable oil cooking spray, for misting the pans
    All-purpose flour, for dusting the pans
    1 pkg. (18.25 oz.) plain orange cake mix
    1 pkg. (3 oz.) orange gelatin
    1/3 cup vegetable oil
    3 large eggs
    1 tsp. pure orange extract
    1 pkg. (8 oz.) sour cream
    1 cup sweetened flaked coconut
    1-1/4 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted
    1/2 cup fresh orange juice
    1 container (8 oz.) frozen whipped topping, thawed

1. Place a rack in the center of the oven and preheat the oven to 350°F.

2. Lightly mist three 9-inch round cake pans with vegetable oil cooking spray, then dust them with flour. Shake out the excess flour. Set the pans aside.

3. Place the cake mix, orange gelatin, oil, eggs, and orange extract in a large mixing bowl. Add 1-1/4 cups of water, then beat with an electric mixer on low speed until the ingredients are moistened, 30 seconds. Stop the machine and scrape down the side of the bowl with a rubber spatula. Increase the mixer speed to medium and beat, scraping down the side again if necessary, until the batter is well blended and smooth, 2 minutes longer. Divide the batter evenly among the prepared pans, smoothing it out with a rubber spatula. Place the pans in the oven side by side or, if your oven is not large enough, place two on the center rack and the third pan in the center of the highest rack.

4. Bake the cakes until they spring back when lightly pressed with a finger, 18 to 22 minutes. Check the pan on the highest rack first; it will bake the quickest and may need to be rotated to a lower rack while it bakes. Remove the pans from the oven and place them on wire racks to cool for 10 minutes. Run a knife around the edge of each and invert them onto a rack, then again onto another rack so that they are right side up. Allow the cakes to cool completely, 15 to 20 minutes longer.

5. Meanwhile, start making the frosting: Place the sour cream and coconut in a large bowl, stir to combine, and place in the refrigerator, uncovered, for 1 hour.

6. Remove the bowl with the sour cream from the refrigerator, add the confectioners' sugar and orange juice, and beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until well combined, 30 seconds. Fold the whipped topping into the frosting until just combined.

7. To assemble the cake, place one cake layer, right side up, on a cake plate and spread some of the frosting over the top. Place a second layer, right side up, on top of the first. Spread some of the frosting over the top. Place the third layer, right side up, on top of the second layer, then frost the top and side of the cake smoothly and generously. Place the cake in a cake saver and refrigerate it until well chilled, 2 hours. Store this cake, in a cake saver or under a glass dome, in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.

Serves 12.

Recipe excerpted from The Dinner Doctor, by Anne Byrn, ©2003