Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
loralee_gw

LOOKING for: recipe for old fashioned peanut butter candy

loralee
15 years ago

While on vacation I bought this most wonderful candy. It was (I ate it all) called Old fashioned peanut butter crunch. It is soft and crunchy really falls apart easy. This reminds me of a peanut butter finger candy bar without the chocolate and not that crunchy.

The ingredients on the bag says sugar, corn syrup, soda, vanilla, salt,peanuts although I didn't really find any. I believe it is made using lots of peanut butter.

Does this candy sound like anything you have made before. it is not a fudge consistency.

Would love to have the recipe.

Lora

Comments (24)

• ginger_st_thomas
    15 years ago

It didn't have Rice Krispies or Corn Flakes in it?

• loralee
    Original Author
    15 years ago

No, it did not. The texture was close to a butter finger candy bar, just a little bit softer.

• Nancy
    15 years ago

I've seen that recipe & meant to try it since I love butterfingers. Here is one, but I haven't tried it yet.

Here is a link that might be useful: Peanut butter Crunch

• loralee
    Original Author
    15 years ago

ngraham,
    Thank you so very much for the link to the recipe.
    This just might be the recipe I need. I went to the cupboard and the peanut butter jar is almost empty my family must have lived on Peanut butter while I was gone. Now, I am snowed in and can't make it out to the store!!!

• Nancy
    15 years ago

Hope you aren't snowed in long! Personally, I love a good snow, but I don't want it to hang around forever.
    If you try it, please let me know how it is. I won't be able to make it before Christmas, but it is on my list to try.

• loralee
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I am still testing and trying to find the correct recipe. The ones I have tried are still a little too hard. Anyone else with any recipes?

• nritz_frontiernet_net
    13 years ago

I was looking for a recipe that was in my mom's book, unfortunately it was tore out, I remember I believe 1/2 cup milk, 1cup sugar, boil for 7 minutes no less or longer (really makes a difference) then remove from heat,add 2 tablespoons peanutbutter creamy or crunchy doesn't matter, stir until thickens and pour into greased pan, cool and cut into squares, very sweet but yummy

• loralee
    Original Author
    13 years ago

thank you for posting your mothers recipe. Do you know if this is a soft candy or is it cruchy. I will have to try some.

• kayjones
    13 years ago

From Cooks.com:

OLD FASHIONED PEANUT BUTTER CANDY

2 cups sugar
    3/4 cup milk (or evaporated milk)
    1/2 cup peanut butter
    1 teaspoon vanilla

Bring milk and sugar to boil. Cook until syrup forms a soft ball (238 degrees F. on a candy thermometer) in cold water in saucer. Remove from heat.
    Add vanilla and peanut butter. Beat well and pour into buttered pan.let cool and cut into pieces. This is a very old recipe from my grandmother.

Very good!

May double recipe for a larger pan of fudge.

Cooks Note: A Candy Thermometer is recommended for best results.

Submitted by: MARCELLA BENNETT

• conniesulser26
    7 years ago

What do you mean when you say it should form in a ball in cold water in a saucer. Do you put cold water over it?

• loralee
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Hi, regarding the cold water. If you don't have a candy thermometer then you keep testing the candy syrup that you are cooking and drop a small amount into cold water that is in a saucer.

When you can make the small amount of syrup form into a tiny ball then the candy has cooked to the correct temperature. Using a candy thermometer is the easiest way to assure candy has reached the correct temperature.

Marcella I tried your recipe this week and this is not what I am looking for either. Thank you for posting this.

It is really hard to describe the texture of the Peanut butter candy I had. The candy was sort of flaky and just melted and fell apart when you broke it into pieces.

• colleenoz
    7 years ago

Hi Loralee, I found this recipe- you might like to give it a try or use "butterfingers recipe" as your search term in future searches:

Easy Butterfingers Candy

• loralee
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Ginger thank you for your comment, I pretty sure it did not have corn flakes or rice krispies. I played with ideas and came close, but just was not the same.

Collen now your recipe is different and I will give it a try. Now, I have to see if the store has any candy corn left.

With one of the ingredients on the bag of candy I purchased being the soda I think this is what makes it crunchy and fall apart.

I have a peanut brittle recipe that has the soda and is lighter than some of the peanut brittle.

Kay, your grandmothers recipe sounds good too.

• loralee
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Kaitlyn, can you give me the recipe measurements? It does sound like it I would love to try it and it is candy making season. You are teasing me.

• ksschalker
    7 years ago
    Recipe:

3 3/4 cup white sugar
    1 1/2 cup light corn syrup
    1 cup hot water
    4 Cups creamy peanut butter

Boil syrup water and sugar to 295 degrees. Spread peanut butter onto a large sprayed cookie sheet with sides. Pour hot syrup over peanut butter and fold in quickly. Turn out and roll with a rolling pin. Cut and cool completely.

It seems like a simple recipe but I will tell you I have a hard time getting it too turn out right every time. I have found that using all brand ingredients works best for me: others use generic peanut butter. Also, it helps to have two people folding from opposite ends of the pan coming together. We tried making this past weekend and all batches didn't turn out completely right except one.

Hopefully you are able to get it to turn out because I almost bet this is the recipe you have been searching for.

Happy Candy making!
  • loralee
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Kaitlyn, thank you for posting this. I will make it today. Our power is off and most likely will not be on for a few more days. I will use the wood stove to cook this. With my candy thermometer I can cook this any place. Perfect day to try this.

• loralee
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I made this recipe and it is the one I have been looking for. Thank you so much.

My staples for cooking is C&H sugar and Skippy Peanut butter. It turned out right the fist time. Perhaps the only difference in the way that I made it is I use my digital thermometer. Since I received this thermometer as a gift 2 years ago I have been using it for everything. Including baking bread.

Candy is sometimes hard to turn out perfect if the temperatures are not perfect. I had noticed maybe 2 or 3 years ago that my candy thermometer was no longer accurate. When I got this new digital thermometer for cooking meats I switched to using this one.

Thank you for testing and sharing your candy making tips and the recipe with me.

• ksschalker
    7 years ago
    So glad this was the recipe you had been searching for and even more glad it turned out for you. It is my absolute favorite candy recipe. I will have to consider a digital thermometer. Thanks
  • User
    7 years ago

After 8 years! Exciting. I'm trying to envision folding the syrup into the peanut butter. Was this difficult? Did it take longer than 3 minutes? TIA

• loralee
    Original Author
    7 years ago

This method was very different than any recipe I had made before but just keep folding. Maybe it was around 3 minutes. I ended up just folding in all directions just to get it all mixed in.

• dandyrandylou
    5 years ago

ksschalker - would this recipe be successful cut in half? TIA

• loralee
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I have never tried cutting the recipe in half. You could always find some one to give the extra to! Put it on a pretty plate and tie a ribbon around it.

Let me know how it turns out for you.

• ksschalker
    5 years ago

All the times, I have made the recipe I have never halved it. The recipe makes approximately 3-4 lbs of candy. This past Christmas we made about 60lbs. I guess we have never tried because we always give it away. If you try, I am curious to see if it works.

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida