Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
RECIPE: apple pie problem

Posted by lazycook (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 23, 08 at 1:04

Why does my top crust stay puffed up after baking? When I put the pie in the oven the apples are piled as high as possible and of course when baking the apples sink down but the crust stays up instead of dropping down with the apples. With all that space between the apples and the crust it makes it difficult to slice. I put a lot of slits in the crust to let the steam out.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: RECIPE: apple pie problem

Mix the sliced apples with sugar & the spices you'll be using & let them sit for a while. They'll give up their excess juices which you can drain off, simmer to thicken & then add back to the apples. Then pile the apples in the crust & top with the remaining crust. You shouldn't have this problem then since it's caused by the apples shrinking & giving up their juices during baking.

o
RE: RECIPE: apple pie problem

Here is a place to look for an interesting read:

Yes, I'll agree that the apples do collapse during cooking, but I think a lot also depends on your crust recipe. The ratio between the flour and shortening (fat) has a lot to do with it, too. Seems like more flour makes the crust fix quickly, but the shortening will help to keep the crust pliable long enough so that it can settle down on the filling before completely baking. Perhaps you could try another recipe for the dough.

Here is a link that might be useful: Discussion Of The Gap Problem

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here