Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
party_music50

LOOKING for: 'holiday' punch recipes?

party_music50
15 years ago

Hi --

I'm wondering if anyone has any great recipes for a punch that would be good at a holiday gathering of adults -- I'd like to find a recipe that's not icky sweet. If it's not already spiked, I'd like a recipe that would be nice with an optional splash/shot added to the glass. A punch that mixes well with different alcohols would be great! (e.g., have bottles of vodka and rum on the side).

Thanks for any ideas!

Comments (13)

• ginger_st_thomas
    15 years ago

You could have the rum at the side to add for the adults with this one:
    STRAWBERRY DAIQUIRI PUNCH (serves 8-12)
    6 cups fresh strawberries, stems & caps removed (or 6 cups frozen unsweetened strawberries, undrained)
    6 oz can frozen limeade concentrate
    3/4 cup light rum OR unsweetened pineapple juice
    16 oz bottle lemon-lime soda
    2 cups ice cubes
    Place berries, half at a time in blender or processor. Cover & blend until smooth. Transfer blended berries to large non-metallic pitcher. Stir in limeade concentrate & rum or pineapple juice. Cover & chill until serving time.
    Jus tbefore serving, stir in lemon0lim soda & ice. Garnish w/whol berries, if desired.~~A Slice of Paradise

Vodka can be served with this one:
    CITRUS COOLER (serves 4)
    6 oz can lemonade concentrate, thawed
    6 oz can pineapple juice
    1/2 quart orange juice
    Fresh mint sprigs, for garnish

In a quart jar, combine the lemonade & pineapple juice. Fill the remainder of the jar w/the orange juice. Serve over ice garnished w/fresh mint.~~Food For Thought

Rum can be added to this:
    CRANBERRY PUNCH (serves 30)
    4 cups cranberry juice
    4 cups pineapple juice
    1 1/2 cups sugar
    1 TBL almond extract
    2 liters ginger ale
    Fresh fruit slices

Combine the juices, sugar & almond extract in a large pitcher & stir until the sugar dissolves. Chill. Add the ginger ale just before serving. Garnish w/fruit slices. Serve over ice.~~Austin Entertains

• caliloo
    15 years ago

If you don't have a recipe you love, why have a punch at all? Just set up a nice bar with the typical offerings and let everyone have their own usual preferences.

If you want a pitcher of a signature/holiday martini or something along those lines, that might be fun, but unless you know there will be a lot of people who LIKE drinking "punch" then why make it?

Alexa

• party_music50
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the ideas, ginger_st_thomas! I wondered if there was a punch that was similar to a "Sea Breeze" (cranberry & grapefruit juice). A cranberry-based punch would probably be best at xmas-time. :)

• lindac
    15 years ago

Cranberry juice cocktail is the universal Holiday mixer as far as I am concerned.
    Add vodka and maybe a splash of limoncello, add Southern Comfort and a squeeze of lime, add L'orange vodka and a little club soda add gin and call ita Cape Cod. Add rum and some pineapple juice...
    And then there's the "Mitzie"...named for a friend which is equal parts pineapple juice and cranberry juice cocktail with as much Citron vodka as you dare! Shake with ice and serve.
    Linda C

• jenn
    15 years ago

Here's one I've used that went over very well:

Holiday Cranberry Punch

(18 servings)

This recipe was featured in late 1999 in the Food section of the Los Angeles Times. Originally from MissouriÂs former first lady Jean Carnahan, from her book Christmas at the Mansion: Its Memories and Menus.

* 4 C cranberry juice cocktail, chilled
    * 2 C orange juice, chilled
    * 1 (12-oz.) bottle lemon-lime soda
    * 1 ice ring (optional)

Combine the cranberry juice cocktail and orange juice in a punch bowl; add ice ring. Add the lemon-lime soda. Stir to blend.

• Bev Cashen
    15 years ago

Try this old Holiday drink from Emeril.

It is called a RED ROOSTER, and you can mix other drinks with it if you want.

Everyone likes this drink, and I am always asked for this easy recipe!

1&1/2 quarts cranbeyy juice cocktail
    1~ 6 oz. can frozen orange juice concentrate, defrosted
    2 cups of vodka (your choice of brand)

Combine all the ingredients in a large plastic container, and mix well.

Freeze for several hours (it will be slushy)
    Scoop into punch bowl or glass pitcher and pour into martini or wine glasses.

Very good~

• Bev Cashen
    15 years ago

Here is another punch that we make for the holidays. Just add rum/alcohol to your taste.Color to a nice red. The limes/mint make a nice contrast with Christmas colors.

We use Barcardi 151 really good Jamacian rum.

1 fresh pineapple, cleaned and crushed (or one can prepared crushed pineapple, including juices)
    3 quarts orange juice
    10 fresh lemons, squeezed
    grenadine, enough to color punch to desired shade
    rum, to taste
    fresh slices of oranges and lemons or limes
    fresh mint leaves (from your garden)

DIRECTIONS

Mix first five ingredients, serve over ice. Garnish with orange,lemon or lime slices and mint leaves.

• party_music50
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Those all sound great. I think I'll make one or both of the cranberry/orange combos because they're simple/easy, and will taste and look right for what I want.

Thanks for the recipes, everyone!

• doucanoe
    15 years ago

This one is really good. I served it at a holiday gethering last year and everyone loved it!

Glacier Punch
    Source BH&G Holiday Appetizers 1999

2 c citrus vodka (may sub raspberry or cherry flavored)
    2/3 c orange liqueur
    2 T kirsch
    1/2 c peach schnapps-(my addition)
    4 c ice cubes
    1 750-ml bottle champagne, chilled
    2 c carbonated water, chilled

Sugar (optional)
    Ice Brittle

Combine vodka, orange liqueur, kirsch, schnapps and ice cubes in punch bowl. Carefully add champagne and carbonated water. If desired, sweeten with a little sugar. Top with chunks of Ice Brittle.

Ice Brittle: Pour 1 c water into a 15 x 10 x 1 inch pan. Sprinkle surface evenly with edible flowers such as marigold, calendula, viola, pansy or dianthus. Sprinkle surface evenly with 1 c fresh raspberries or other fresh fruit. Freeze 3 hours or overnight. Unmold and break into chunks.
    ~~I used mint leaves in place of flowers~~
    Linda

• wanda_illinois
    15 years ago

Champagne punch

1 bottle of champagne
    1 bottle of rhine wine
    1 litter of ginger ale

• party_music50
    Original Author
    15 years ago

That Glacier Punch sounds like it has some serious kick to it!

I have a bottle of champagne and was thinking it would be good to use in punch. The Champagne Punch definitely wouldn't be icky sweet.

Thanks for all the recipes, everyone!

• Linda
    15 years ago

Party, Im just amazed. I came on here to post a thread on finding a punch that was refreshing but not too sweet and hoping for something with cranberry. I saw your post, started reading thru and you're looking for the same thing I am. Maybe you're that long lost twin everyone tells me I have :)

• blizlady
    15 years ago

I was doing a search for punches made with Smirnoff Cranberry Vodka and came upon this interesting site. Besides a few drink and punch recipes, this blog really has some neat table scapes for Thanksgiving and some Christmas decor ideas.

As far as a punch, I see that you received some good recipes. I went to a party once where the hostess made a punch with Smirnoff Cranberry Vodka, bottled cranberry juice and a bottle of lemon lime soda. I don't have the recipe with the exact portions of each, so that's what I am searching for.

Here is a link that might be useful: Create My Event Blog