Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jaktup

LOOKING for: Cake/brownie recipe posted by Ginger in 1998-9

Jaktup
12 years ago

I know this is a long shot. I have been away from That Home Site since about 2002. There was a post by this wonderful woman named Ginger and I believe she was from the Caribbean. This recipe was a brownie recipe for a blond brownie with a kind of caramel frosting. She also had this cake recipe that took forever to make but was so good it made your tongue want to slap your face. It had walnuts in it and I believe apple, but I may be wrong. My sister made both of these and before she passed we couldn't find the recipe. I'd love to remake them for her kids this Christmas, but am unable to find it. I'm hoping one of you lovely ladies remember or know her, or even have one of these. Thanks in advance! Any help or direction you could give is greatly appreciated.

Comments (6)

• Jaktup
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I have found Ginger on another post and emailed her, thanks.

• dawnp
    12 years ago

Would you please post the recipes here when you get them? I miss seeing Ginger here! Both recipes sound wonderful!

Dawn

• Jaktup
    Original Author
    12 years ago

She has already found the cake recipe for me! Here it is:

APPLE CAKE WITH HOT CARAMEL RUM SAUCE
    Caramel Rum Sauce
    1/2 cup sugar
    1/2 cup packed brown sugar
    1/2 cup heavy cream
    1 stick butter
    1/4 cup dark rum

2 sticks butter, softened
    1 cup sugar
    2 eggs, well beaten
    1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
    1 1/2 cups flour
    1 tsp cinnamon
    1 tsp grated nutmeg
    1 tsp baking soda
    1/2 tsp salt
    3 medium apples, peeled, cored & chopped
    3/4 cup coarsely chopped pecans

Make the sauce: combine the sugars & cream in the top part of a double boiler & cook over simmering water, stirring occasionally for 1 1/2 hours. Add the butter & cook another 30 minutes. (The mixture may look curdled but will smooth out when beaten.) Remove from the heat, add the rum & beat until smooth.
    Make the cake: Preheat oven to 350. Grease a 10" pie plate or 9" square baking pan. Cream the butter & sugar together until light & fluffy; beat in the eggs & vanilla until well mixed. Whisk together the flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, soda & salt: blend into the butter mixture. Stir in the apples & pecans. Spoon the batter evenly into the prepared pan & bake about 45 minutes or until golden brown. Serve w/the warm sauce.

[This message originated at GardenWeb]
    I remember that it is a little tedious to make, but OH MY!!! It is SO good!

• dawnp
    12 years ago

Thank you! It looks yummy! I am saving it and would love to have the other recipe too!

Please tell her we miss seeing her here! I am glad to know that she is alive and well!

• iris_gal
    12 years ago

Is this it?

RE: LOOKING for: Bar Cookies
    Posted by ginger_st_thomas (My Page) on Mon, Apr 24, 06 at 20:46

TOFFEE PECAN BROWNIES

4 oz unsweetened chocolate, chopped
    1/2 cup unsalted butter
    1 1/4 cups packed light brown sugar
    1 T. cinnamon
    1/4 tsp salt
    3 eggs
    1 tsp vanilla
    3/4 cup flour
    1 cup chopped Heath bars

Brown Sugar Topping:
    1 cup packed light brown sugar
    1/4 cup whipping cream
    1 TBL unsalted butter
    3/4 tsp vanilla
    1/2 cup chopped pecans

Preheat oven to 325 degrees; line 8x8" baking pan with foil, extending foil over the sides.

Combine choc. & butter in saucepan & cook over low heat til blended, stirring constantly.
    Cool 5 minutes. Whisk in sugar, cinnamon & salt. Whisk in eggs 1 at a time; stir in vanilla.
    Whisk 2 min. or til smooth. Add flour, whisking just til blended. Stir in chopped candy bars
    (I chilled the candy & chopped them in a processor.)
    Bake for 35 min. or til toothpick inserted in cnt. comes out with a few moist crumbs attached.
    Cool in the pan on a wire rack.

For topping, bring sugar, cream & butter to a boil, whisking constantly until smooth.
    Remove from heat. Stir in the vanilla. Let stand 10 min.
    Whisk til of spreading consistency. Stir in the pecans. Spread over the brownies.
    Let stand 1 hour or until set.
    Serve cold or at room temperature. Store, covered in the refrigerator.~~From Down by the Water.

• Jaktup
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Iris, you may have found it! I'm going to try it. If it isn't the same one, it looks like another keeper anyway!

My other sister says that the cake is not the one I posted. It was a Maple Walnut Cake with 3 layers to it. I will keep looking. I seem to have misplaced my 1956 Betty Crocker Cookbook, I really think I had both of them tucked into it.