Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
LOOKING for: moist heavy pumpkin muffins or bread

Posted by loralee (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 23, 09 at 23:43

I have a recipe for pumpkin bread but it is light and fluffy and can be made into pumpkin bars or muffins.

I would like it to be heavier and more moist. Do you have such a recipe or can someone tell me what I can do with my recipe to make it heavier and more moist?

hugs to you for helping.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: LOOKING for: moist heavy pumpkin muffins or bread

This might work for you. They're too heavy for me.

PUMPKIN MUFFINS (makes 12)
1 cup flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp allspice
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
2 eggs
1/4 cup butter, melted & cooled
1 cup canned or fresh mashed pumpkin
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup broken walnuts
1/2 cup raisins or chopped dates (I omit)

In a medium bowl, combine both flours, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, allspice, cloves & salt. In a large bowl, beat together the brown sugar, eggs & butter until light & frothy. Blend in the pumpkin & buttermilk. Add the dry ingredients & stir just until moistened. Fold in the nuts & raisins or dates but don't overmix. Spoon into greased muffin cups & bake in a preheated 400 oven for 15-20 minutes or until lightly brown.~~Rumsey Rare Bites

o

I just came from the store too with buttermilk and pumpkin. What do you think is the ingredient that would make a bread or muffin heavier?
Mine called for oil, and this only has 1/4 cup butter, sounds healthier already.

o

I think one way to make pumpkin bread or muffins heavier would be to use more of the canned pumpkin.

o

I will try more pumpkin. What about using shortening instead?
My recipe called for oil which is always liquid and if I used shortening perhaps this would make it heavier?

o

Old Fashioned Pumpkin Nut Loaf

2 cups flour
2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking soda
2 large eggs
1 15 oz can Libby's 100% pure pumpkin
1/2 c sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 c Nestle Carnation evaporated Milk
1 tbsp. veg. oil
1/4 c chopped nuts

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9x5 loaf pan.

combine flour, pumpkin pie spice, baking powder, salt & baking sodar in medium bowl. blend eggs, pumpkin, sugar, brown sugar, evaporated milk & veg. oil in large mixing bowl. Add flour mixture; mix just until moistened. Pour into prepared loaf pan; sprinkle with nuts.

Bake 60-65 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan on wire rack for 10 minutes; remove to wire rack to cool completely.

o

I would actually substitute half of the oil for full-fat yogurt-- that seems to work for me for the dense/moist texture.

o

This is a great recipe I have used for years. Everyone who has tried it has raved over it.

Pumpkin Bread

Beat together:
4 eggs
2/3 cup of Water
1 cup of Liquid Shortening
1 can of Pumpkin (14 oz.)

Sift together:
3 cups of Flour
3 Cups of Sugar
2 tsp. of Baking Soda
1 t. salt
1 tsp. Cinnamon
1 tsp. Nutmeg
Combine wet and dry ingredients. Grease two large loaf pans. Bake at 350 for 1 hour. Test for doneness with knife.

o

Thanks Mary I am still looking for just the right one. I think I will be tired of pumpkin bread by the time I find it. The last one was tooo heavy and still not real moist.

o

I have two recipes that you might like. One is for mini pumpkin muffins. The other is for soft pumpkin cookies. I have them posted at the link below! I hope this helps.

Here is a link that might be useful: Recipes by KIM

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here