Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marcia_thornley

LOOKING for: Canadian Bacon Slow Cooker

Marcia Thornley
16 years ago

Can a Canadian Bacon roast be cooked in the slow cooker? How does it turn out?

Comments (6)

• ginger_st_thomas
    16 years ago

I don't know as I've never done it but there's a roasted Canadian Bacon recipe (second in the list) that's done in the oven & looks like it would be perfect for a crockpot if you want to give it a try.

ROASTED CANADIAN BACON

Ingredients:
    1 1/2 cups apple cider
    2 tablespoons unsalted butter
    1 medium onion, sliced (1 cup)
    2 Gala apples, cored and sliced
    2 sprigs fresh thyme
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon black pepper
    1 (2-lb) piece Canadian bacon

Prep:
    Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 400°
    Boil cider in a 1-quart saucepan until reduced to about 1/2 cup, 10 to 12 minutes.

Heat butter in a 1 1/2- to 2-quart flameproof casserole over moderate heat until foam subsides. Add onion, apples, thyme, salt, and pepper and cook, stirring, until onion is softened, about 5 minutes. Nestle bacon in apple mixture.

Pour cider over bacon and roast, uncovered, until heated through and beginning to brown, about 20 minutes.

Here is a link that might be useful: Canadian Bacon

• lindac
    16 years ago

If you only want to cook it in the crock pot for 20 to 30 minutes....but Canadian bacon is very very lean and will get tough and stringy if you over cook it. I sure wouldn't ruin it by cooking it in a crock pot....especially when is cooks so fast in the oven.
    Linda C

• khandi
    16 years ago

Here in Canada, we call it Peameal bacon. We just slice it and fry it. We eat it for supper (like ham) or for breakfast like bacon (it has no fat). We like ours with maple syrup!

When I fry it, I add a little water to the pan after it's browned a little on both sides...so it doesn't dry out so much.

Here a recipe for an oven roast. I've never made peameal roast in a slow cooker.

REAL Canadian Bacon Classic Whole Roast

So easy and quick to prepare, this makes an attractive and delicious meal to serve with scalloped potatoes and baked acorn squash.

5 lb unsliced REAL Canadian Bacon whole roast
    ¼ cup maple syrup
    ¼ cup apple juice
    1 tsp lemon juice
    1 tbsp flour
    1 tsp dry mustard

Cut roast into thin slices, then reassemble into original form by tying together with butcher's twine. Place on rack in a shallow roasting pan. Bake in a 350° F oven for 1 hour. Pour ¼ cup water into the pan to prevent bacon drying out.

Combine maple syrup, apple juice, lemon juice, flour and mustard in a small saucepan; mix well. Heat to boiling. Remove bacon from oven. Brush maple syrup mixture over bacon and drizzle some between the slices. Return to oven for approximately 20 to 25 minutes (166° F internal temperature) and baste occasionally with remaining glaze.

Place on a platter. Cut string, then pull it away carefully to allow slices to fall neatly in a domino effect along the platter. Makes 6 to 8 servings.

• JulieTheCanuck
    10 years ago

Real Canandian Peameal Bacon can be done in the crock pot and it turns out lovely. This is how I do it.

1 large uncut Canadian (peameal) bacon roast
    2 apples (preferable soft ones like Macintosh)
    1/4 c orange juice
    1 tsp dry mustard
    3 tbsp brown sugar or maple syrup (I prefer the brown sugar)

Cut up the apples and put in buttom of crock pot with 1-2 tbsp water - the roast will sit on them so as not to touch the crock pot and dry out. Mix the rest of the ingredents in a bowl. Wash off the yellow peameal from the outside of the roast (if your roast dosen't have yellow stuff on the outside its the wrong "canadian" bacon). Place the roast fat side down - not all roasts will have a fat side as this cut of meat is very lean. Pour over the orange sugar glaze. Let cook in the crock pot for 5-6 on high, or 8-9 on low. I usually use the "auto" function on my slow cooker so your time may vary. The roast will be fall apart juicy.

• Sharon Okane
    6 years ago

Sounds delicious Julie 7m trying you're recipe this minute

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor