Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
RECIPE: Knishes - Small bites

Posted by cookingrvc (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 5, 08 at 22:37

I had some puff pastry dough leftover from the Asian Chicken Rolls and made a small batch of mashed potatoes (on the dry side)to which I added sauteed onion, salt, pepper.

I spooned the mixture lengthwise on a rolled-out piece of puff pastry and folded it over two times. Placed the log on a parchment-lined baking sheet and gave a quick egg-yolk wash...baked at 400 for 30 minutes or so.

Be sure to let the mashed potatoes cool before rolling in the dough. One of my logs slit and flattened from the hot filling. Chilled filling might be best. Still was delicious served with brown deli mustard. These were inhaled by the crowd I was experimenting on.

Sue

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: RECIPE: Knishes - Small bites

Yum...I love Knish I always wondered what that breading was around the potato.

o

Hey Eileen. Hope all is well on your end of the island. I'll be out your way later this month for a party at the Irish Coffee Pub.

Yes, I always wondered about the covering on a square knish. I use to think they were deep fried. I know there's some serious fat in there, possibly lard or chicken fat?

sue

o

The squares are fried, the round ones are baked. Click on the link, it gives you all kinds of info on knishes and a recipe. Just scroll to the knish part.

Sounds great, Sue! I go to a place here that sells something similar called Borekas, they fill puff pastry with all kinds of filling besides the potato mixture.

Here is a link that might be useful: Arthur Schwartz Knishes...

o

Thanks for the info dishes. Got to be about 25 years ago...we went to a big old Victorian house on the North Shore for a big party. The kitchen was huge and had an island which wasn't common back then. They had the dough rolled out and were making knishes!!

Son;t remember much else from that night but I do remember the knishes!

Nice recipe. Might give it a whirl this weekend.

Sue

o

Let us know how it comes out if you do! My grandma used to make them! She made the logs. They were really good, and always requested! I never did find her recipe.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here