Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
RECIPE: Peanut Brittle--Only two ingredients??

Posted by love2weed (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 27, 07 at 22:08

Last year around this time I requested a peanut brittle recipe that only used peanuts and sugar. This brittle has finely chopped nuts and it very thin. It was my ex-DIL's family recipe that she refused to give to me, but a couple of you posted some recipes that seemed to be it, but I can't seem to find it now. If my memory serves me it was some kind of European candy recipe. Maybe Slavic or Hungarian?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: RECIPE: Peanut Brittle--Only two ingredients??

I'm not on Recipe Exchange very often, but I remember last year's discussion on Cooking.

Anyway, here's a clip of my post from last December. This recipe is on the internet, but I found the most helpful version with the clearest instructions in my old Farm Journal Candy cookbook. They describe it as an "heirloom recipe."

RE: Peanut Brittle Recipe--Sugar and Nuts only?? (Follow-Up #5)
posted by: readinglady on 12.29.2006 at 04:00 am in Cooking Forum

One factor in cloudy brittle is the nuts. If they're chopped on a cutting board rather than broken and then the chopped nuts are added to the brittle, the small dusty bits obscure the clarity. That's not the only cause, but it can be a factor.

Here's the recipe I was thinking of:
Slovakian Nut Candy
1 cup ground or finely chopped nuts
1 cup sugar

Put nuts through food chopper and measure before starting to melt sugar. Place sugar in a 10" heavy skillet and stir over medium heat until it melts and turns a light golden brown. Remove from heat at once.

Stir in nuts and pour onto buttered board. Roll with buttered rolling pin until very thin (17 1/2"x6"). Cut at once in strips 2" wide. Loosen strips from board with buttered spatula and cut with sharp knife on the diagonal to make diamonds. Makes 1/2 pound.

My note: If the nuts are gently warmed in the oven and then added to the candy, it slows the setting time and gives the cook a little more leeway in working with the sugar syrup.

Carol

o

Thanks so much readinglady, that's exactly what I was looking for.

o

I'm glad to help. If you do decide to make it, let us know how it turns out.

P.S. Some versions add a pinch of salt and a little vanilla.

Carol

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here