Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sue36_gw

LOOKING for: Sugar free desserts

sue36
15 years ago

Does anyone have any favorite tried and true sugar free dessert recipes (made with Splenda, I imagine)? Thanks.

Comments (5)

• ghoghunter
    15 years ago

I always make a homemade sugar free pumpkin pie. I follow the recipe on the pumpkin can but use Splenda instead of sugar. It turns out really good too. If you need to limit the carbs more you can pour the filling into custard cups instead of using a crust and bake them like individual puddings.
    Joann

• ovenbird
    15 years ago

This dessert is wonderful and I always make a double recipe. It is from Mark Bittman (NYT) with a few tweaks to make it more carb friendly for diabetics. He used a graham cracker crust which I've substituted with a pecan one.

Almost No-Bake Blueberry Cheesecake Bars (Mark Bittman tweaked)

Crust:
    2 cups ground pecans (8oz of pecan halves yields ~2 cups ground)
    4 tablespoons melted butter
    1 1/2 packets Splenda (equivalent to 1 Tbs sugar)

Combine the ground nuts, butter and Splenda. Press the mixture evenly into the bottom of an 8x8 baking dish (glass is better than metal). Bake at 350°F for 10-15 minutes. Cool before filling.

Filling:
    1 8-ounce package cream cheese, at room temperature
    1 cup ricotta cheese
    2 tablespoons honey or 3 packets Splenda
    Rind of a lemon, freshly grated
    Squeeze of lemon juice
    Pinch of salt
    1 1/2 cups blueberries

Using a standing or hand mixer, or a whisk, combine cream cheese, ricotta, honey, Splenda, lemon rind, lemon juice and salt, and blend until smooth.

Spread cheese mixture carefully and evenly over crust, using a spatula or butter knife to smooth top. Cover with fresh blueberries and lightly press into filling. Chill for at least an hour, or until set. Cut into squares or bars and serve.

Double the recipe if using a 9x13 dish. Using the zest of one lemon and one lime gives this a subtle key lime flavor.

The longer the cheesecake is refrigerated, the better it tastes. Leftovers are great.

Here is a link that might be useful: nyt article no-bake blueberry cheesecake

• momj47
    15 years ago

This is a favorite in our family.

Sugar Free Crème Brulee

1 quart heavy cream
    2 teaspoons pure sugarless vanilla extract (I use regular)
    8 large egg yolks
    1/2 cup Splenda
    superfine sugar to glaze

1. In small saucepan, scald cream with vanilla over medium heat. Remove from heat. Place eight 6-ounce ramekins in a roasting pan; set aside.
    2. Preheat oven to 300° F, with a rack in the center. In small bowl, whisk egg yolks just until blended. Slowly whisk in 1/2 c. Splenda. Slowly beat in hot cream into the yolks, whisking all the time. (You may strain it at this point, but I didn't). Pour custard into the ramekins.
    3. Place the roasting pan on the center rack of the oven. Pour in enough hot tap water to reach about halfway up the sides of the ramekins. Bake until the custards are just set, about 30 minutes (the timing can vary based on the depth of the ramekins). Remove the custards from their water bath and place on wire rack until cooled.
    4. Refrigerate until very cold, at least 3 hours.
    5. When ready to serve, put superfine sugar on top of custard and cover it well. Torch it to desired color.
    Serves 8.

You can make half a recipe and it still works very well. You'll have to use superfine sugar to glaze, nothing else works (we've tried).

• sue36
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks! Those all sound good.

• ovenbird
    15 years ago

momj47, have you tried your recipe without the glaze? I'm wondering how it would taste without it...creme brulee without the brulee, i.e., just good custard?