Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
LOOKING for: Sugar free desserts

Posted by sue36 (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 24, 08 at 22:02

Does anyone have any favorite tried and true sugar free dessert recipes (made with Splenda, I imagine)? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: LOOKING for: Sugar free desserts

I always make a homemade sugar free pumpkin pie. I follow the recipe on the pumpkin can but use Splenda instead of sugar. It turns out really good too. If you need to limit the carbs more you can pour the filling into custard cups instead of using a crust and bake them like individual puddings.
Joann

o

This dessert is wonderful and I always make a double recipe. It is from Mark Bittman (NYT) with a few tweaks to make it more carb friendly for diabetics. He used a graham cracker crust which I've substituted with a pecan one.

Almost No-Bake Blueberry Cheesecake Bars (Mark Bittman tweaked)

Crust:
2 cups ground pecans (8oz of pecan halves yields ~2 cups ground)
4 tablespoons melted butter
1 1/2 packets Splenda (equivalent to 1 Tbs sugar)

Combine the ground nuts, butter and Splenda. Press the mixture evenly into the bottom of an 8x8 baking dish (glass is better than metal). Bake at 350F for 10-15 minutes. Cool before filling.

Filling:
1 8-ounce package cream cheese, at room temperature
1 cup ricotta cheese
2 tablespoons honey or 3 packets Splenda
Rind of a lemon, freshly grated
Squeeze of lemon juice
Pinch of salt
1 1/2 cups blueberries

Using a standing or hand mixer, or a whisk, combine cream cheese, ricotta, honey, Splenda, lemon rind, lemon juice and salt, and blend until smooth.

Spread cheese mixture carefully and evenly over crust, using a spatula or butter knife to smooth top. Cover with fresh blueberries and lightly press into filling. Chill for at least an hour, or until set. Cut into squares or bars and serve.

Double the recipe if using a 9x13 dish. Using the zest of one lemon and one lime gives this a subtle key lime flavor.

The longer the cheesecake is refrigerated, the better it tastes. Leftovers are great.

Here is a link that might be useful: nyt article no-bake blueberry cheesecake

o

This is a favorite in our family.

Sugar Free Crme Brulee

1 quart heavy cream
2 teaspoons pure sugarless vanilla extract (I use regular)
8 large egg yolks
1/2 cup Splenda
superfine sugar to glaze

1. In small saucepan, scald cream with vanilla over medium heat. Remove from heat. Place eight 6-ounce ramekins in a roasting pan; set aside.
2. Preheat oven to 300 F, with a rack in the center. In small bowl, whisk egg yolks just until blended. Slowly whisk in 1/2 c. Splenda. Slowly beat in hot cream into the yolks, whisking all the time. (You may strain it at this point, but I didn't). Pour custard into the ramekins.
3. Place the roasting pan on the center rack of the oven. Pour in enough hot tap water to reach about halfway up the sides of the ramekins. Bake until the custards are just set, about 30 minutes (the timing can vary based on the depth of the ramekins). Remove the custards from their water bath and place on wire rack until cooled.
4. Refrigerate until very cold, at least 3 hours.
5. When ready to serve, put superfine sugar on top of custard and cover it well. Torch it to desired color.
Serves 8.

You can make half a recipe and it still works very well. You'll have to use superfine sugar to glaze, nothing else works (we've tried).

o

Thanks! Those all sound good.

o

momj47, have you tried your recipe without the glaze? I'm wondering how it would taste without it...creme brulee without the brulee, i.e., just good custard?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here