Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hidesertfox

RECIPE: Cranberry Upside-Down Coffee Cake

hidesertfox
17 years ago

Hi, everyone! This very moist and delicious cake makes a spectacular presentation, with all those beautiful cranberries and pecans right on top. A friend shared this recipe with me a couple of years ago, and I have made it several times, with rave reviews. It's simply fantastic, and I wanted to share it with you all. Loaded with calories, though! :-)

Cranberry Upside-Down Coffee Cake

prep time: approx. 30 minutes

cook time: approx. 1 hour

Makes one 9-inch springform pan - about 12 servings

1/2 C. packed brown sugar

1/3 C. butter

1 1/4 C. cranberries (not canned)

1/2 C. chopped pecans

1/2 C. butter, room temp.

3/4 C. white sugar

2 eggs

1 t. vanilla

1 C. sour cream

1 1/2 C. AP flour

1 1/2 t. baking powder

1 t. baking soda

1/2 t. ground cinnamon

1/4 t. salt

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. (175 C.) Wrap the outside of a 9 inch springform pan with alum. foil to prevent leaking. Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Set aside.

In a saucepan over med. heat, combine brown sugar and 1/3 C. butter. Bring to a boil, the pour into bottom of springfrom pan. Sprinkle with cranberries and pecans.

In a large bowl, cream together the butter and 3/4 C. sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs one at a time, then stir in the vanilla. Beat in the flour mixture alternately with the sour cream. Pour batter into prepared pan.

Bake for 60 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan for about 10 minutes - invert onto serving platter and remove pan. Best served warm - warms nicely in the microwave.

Comments (15)

• lisbet
    17 years ago

Thank you, "hidsertfox" your recipe is a very nice gift to all of us! I love cranberries....they are so beneficial to health and well being!!

• ruthanna_gw
    17 years ago

That sounds like a great addition to our Christmas day brunch. Thanks!

• hidesertfox
    Original Author
    17 years ago

You are most welcome, lisbet and ruthanna. If you do make it, I hope that you enjoy it as much as I have.

Have a wonderful day!

-HiDesert

• patti43
    17 years ago

Yes, thank you. I'm posting on my family's website so, even though we're far away, we can still enjoy the same Christmas brunch. It sounds perfect.

• nizza
    17 years ago

I made this for dessert tonight and it was just DELICIOUS!! It came out looking so professional and just beautiful. Everyone loved it and went back for seconds.

• hidesertfox
    Original Author
    17 years ago

nizza, thank you so much for the feedback! I'm so glad you all enjoyed it. :-)

~HiDesert

• CA Kate z9
    17 years ago

Thanks for the recipe... it sounds like the sort of recipe I was looking for for my DSL's B'day. I think I'll give yours a try tomorrow.

• cuffs054
    17 years ago

Big Fav! Made it for my "I only like things with cranberries" niece. She went wild. Great recipe

• msazadi
    17 years ago

Boy, we're lucking out in the good cranberry desserts this year. I can't wait to try them. Maureen

• nizza
    17 years ago

HiDesert,

I made this again for Christmas and it again tasted delicious and looked fabulous!

Oh, I I baked it (by accident as I pulled out the wrong pan) in a 10 inch springform and it was just perfect. It was a not as high, but, larger in diameter. It looked great and everyone just loved it. I think I'm going to make another one to give to my neighbor as a Happy New Year sweet treat gift!

I wish you and your family a Happy & Healthy New Year!

• blueiris24
    17 years ago

I made this for a Mom's Brunch I hosted and everyone loved it - it was very pretty too. Thanks for posting!

• hidesertfox
    Original Author
    17 years ago

cuffs, nizza, and blueiris,

I'm so glad you enjoyed it, and that it was a hit with your family and guests! I think I better be getting a move on and make this again - I love the idea of making it for a New Years Day gift!

May 2007 bring peace, joy, and delectable goodies to all.
    :-)

• hidesertfox
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hello, again! I made this cake last week, and took a pic of it to post here. It is so pretty - the pic doesn't really do it justice, plus, I'm kind of a novice with my camera. :-)

I usually put about twice as many cranberries and pecans as the recipe calls for, just because I love them. :-) I was using up what I had in the freezer, so it looks a little sparse.

{{!gwi}}
    ~HiDesert

• cindy_5ny
    17 years ago

Thanks for the recipe and pic - I have cranberries in the fridge right now and I'll be making this soon!

Cindy

• nizza
    17 years ago

hidesertfox - I made your cake recipe again and it came out just as good as the last 4 times that I've made it. Everyone just loves it. Thanks so much for posting it.

Here's a pic of my last one. Not a good pic, but, a very good cake.

{{!gwi}}

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz