Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greekshambo

LOOKING for: Moist bran muffin recipe...

shambo
16 years ago

I'm on a search for good tasting and moist homemade bran muffins. I don't care if they're made with oat bran or wheat bran; Kellogg's All Bran Original cereal (the "twigs") is OK too.

Today I made the newest bran muffin recipe from Cook's Illustrated. It was OK but not remarkable. I've got about three other to try too. If you've got a good recipe you've had success with, please share it with me.

Thanks!

Sue

Comments (9)

• lindac
    16 years ago

Oat bran muffins
    1 1/4 cup oat bran
    3/4 cup flour
    2 teaspoons baking powder
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/4 cup packed brown sugar
    1/4 cup honey
    1 egg or 2 egg whites
    2 T vegetable oil
    1 apple finely chopped with the peel

Mix dry ingredients
    Mix sugar, honey, oil eggs
    and stir into the dry ingredients, stir in chopped apple
    Fill greased muffin cups 2/3 full and bake at 425 until lightly browned.
    The raw apple keeps them moist

• juniebug-2006
    16 years ago

My mother in-law gave this recipe to me many years ago, and it's my favorite bran muffin recipe:

3 C. All Bran
    1 C. boiling water
    Mix well together and let stand

1/2 C. melted margarine or butter
    2 beaten eggs
    1 1/2 C. sugar
    2 C. buttermilk
    Mix together

2 1/2 C. flour
    1 Tsp. salt
    2 1/2 Tsp baking soda
    Sift together and add to the buttermilk mixture.

Stir in the bran with the other ingredients and mix only until all ingredients are blended.

Cover and refrigerate overnight. Bake at 350 for about 25 minutes.

I've been told that the batter will last 6 weeks in the refrigerator, but it's always used up well before that!

Chris

• canarybird01
    16 years ago

I love this one. The applesauce makes it moist without adding extra calories.

Light & diet friendly

Ingredients:

3/4 cup All-Bran cereal
    1 cup skim milk
    2/3 cup whole wheat flour
    Sweetener - equivalent to 1/3 cup sugar
    2 teasp baking powder
    1/2 teasp baking soda
    1/4 teasp salt
    1 teasp allspice
    1/2 teasp cloves
    1 1/2 cups

2/3 cup raisins
    1 large apple peeled and cut into 1/4 inch cubes
    1 low-cholesterol (omega-3) egg, lightly beaten
    2 teasp vegetable oil
    1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce

1. Mix the All-Bran and skim milk in a bowl and let stand for a few minutes.

2. In a large bowl, mix the flour, sweetener, baking powder, baking soda, salt and spices. Stir in the oat bran, raisins and apple.

3. In a small bowl, combine the egg, vegetable oil and applesauce. Stir, along with the All-Bran mixture, into the dry ingredients.

4. Spoon the mixture into an oil-sprayed 12-muffin tray.
    Bake at 350F for 20 minutes

Source: The Glycemic Index Diet
    Rick Gallop ©2002
    Random House Canada

My Notes:

You may have to find the oat bran in a diet or health food store
    I used fructose for the sweetener but for anyone on a strict no-sugar diet use the artificial sweetener of your choice. Otherwise non-dieters use granulated white sugar.The mixture is thick and dry-ish. Keep stirring until all is well mixed and don't think you made a mistake in the amount of milk.

SharonCb

• canarybird01
    16 years ago

PS....I forgot to mention that you can use a normal egg (not Omega 3) in this recipe if you're not following that diet LOL!

Sharon.

• shambo
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the recipes. I definitely will try them. Today I made another recipe from RecipeZaar. I truly am on a mission!

Linda & Sharon, I find it interesting that both your recipes call for raw apple. That may be just the touch to keep the muffins moist. Unfortunately, I don't have any oat bran on hand. I do have wheat bran, though. Do you think I could substitute it instead?

Junie, I've got the All Bran & buttermilk. Is it really necessary to refrigerate the batter for an hour? I'd like to just bake the entire batch and then freeze the individual muffins.

Thanks again for your help.

• juniebug-2006
    16 years ago

Shambo,

I've always refrigerated the dough overnight and the texture does change. I think what happends is the moisture more fully saturates the all bran so the dough isn't quite as runny. However, if I were you, I'd certainly give it a try and make them right away if you are in a hurry. I'm pretty sure they would still be a great muffin.

• canarybird01
    16 years ago

Shambo I've never made mine with wheat bran but I don't think it would change the consistency of the muffins one bit.
    If I were you I'd try it that way. I made these muffins every week for a year and kept them in ziplocks one or two to a bag and in the freezer. They were my "bread" while I was dieting and I am going to be making them again next week as a breakfast item.

SharonCb

• glenda_al
    16 years ago

I think sour cream makes for moist muffins!
    See if this one tempts your tastebuds!

Sour Cream bran muffins

Don't fill the muffin cups too full on this one, as the batter will just overflow and make a mess.

Ingredients:
    1 cup sour cream
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    1/2 cup butter or margarine
    1 cup brown sugar
    2 eggs
    1 cup natural bran
    1 cup flour
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon baking powder

Directions:
    Soften butter to room temperature. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Mix sour cream and baking soda together in a medium bowl and set aside.

Cream butter or margarine and brown sugar together. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.

Combine bran, flour, salt, and baking powder.

Add dry ingredients and sour cream alternately to the creamed mixture.

Fill muffin tins, lined with paper muffin cups or greased, 2/3 full.

Bake for 20 - 25 minutes, or until tops spring back when touched

• shambo
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Junie, I understand what you're saying about the bran cereal needing to fully absorb the moisture. I'll go ahead and let the batter rest for an hour before baking.

Sharon, my problem is that I usually go without breakfast in the morning, and I'm at the age where I need the added benefits of more fiber in my diet. I think gulping down a bran muffin will be really helpful. I've individually frozen the two batches I made last week. Such an easy breakfast this morning!

Glenda, I think adding sour cream to anything will make it good. But I know that sour cream in baked goods does add moistness. So I'll be trying your recipe too.

Thanks, again for all your help.