Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
prairiemoon2

LOOKING for: Recipe for Date Nut Bread

We really enjoy Date Nut Bread and can never find it in the supermarket any more. The kind we used to buy and enjoy was very dark and moist. I have tried a number of recipes trying to find something close but everything we have tried has been light colored and not very moist. If someone has a recipe that might fit that description, I would LOVE it!

Thanks!

pm2

Comments (7)

• lil-again
    16 years ago

i don't remember where or who i got this recipe from, but it's pretty good. hope you like it.

lil.

Date-Nut Bread

3/4 cup chopped walnuts
    1 cup dates cut up
    1/2 T baking soda
    1/2 tsp salt
    3 T shortening
    3/4 cup boiling water
    2 LG eggs
    1 tsp vanilla
    1 cup sugar
    1 1/2 cups flour

Mix nuts, dates, baking soda & salt w/ fork. Add shortening & water, then let stand for about 20 minutes.
    Beat eggs w/ fork & add vanilla, sugar & flour. Mix w/ date mixture until just blended.
    Pour into greased 9x5-inch loaf pan & bake at 350* F for 60 to 70 minutes or until done.
    Cool in pan for at least 10 minutes before removing. Cool overnight before slicing.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Looks like it has all the right ingredients. If it is anything like my banana nut bread recipe, I found that the step of cooling it in the pan..sometimes instead, I wrap it in aluminum foil right away and it holds the moisture in. Maybe cooling it in the pan does the same thing. I have a feeling looking at the list of ingredients, that the bread turns out light colored, would I be correct? I can't seem to find the missing ingredient that makes it dark. I am wondering if it might be molasses? But that would give it a pretty strong taste maybe? Hmm...maybe a different dark flour? Your recipe is nice because it has less fat and less sugar then some I have seen. Always a plus!

Thanks lil..I will try it :-)

• aquablue313
    16 years ago

This recipe is from my GrandmotherÂs Recipe box. I have made this bread for over 20 years now. A great change of pace from Banana Bread.

Date Nut Bread

Sprinkle 1 tsp baking soda over 2 cups chopped dates. Pour 1 cup boiling water over mixture and let cool.

While cooling, cream ¼ lb butter and ¾ cup brown sugar. Beat in 1 egg. Stir in date mixture.

Add 1 ½ cups flour, ¼ tsp salt, and ½ cup chopped nuts (optional).

Pour into lightly greased and floured pans. (I spray the aluminum ones-no flour-3 1lb loaves)

Bake 50-60 minutes at 325º.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hello...

lil...I tried your recipe last weekend. For some reason the bread was cooked all the way through in 10 minutes less time than the recipe suggested. It tastes good but it was a little dry and I am not sure if that was because it was overcooked. I have an electric stove and I don't think that it is normally running too hot. I added brazil nuts to the mix instead of walnuts and I am enjoying it for breakfast. I will try it again and take it out sooner. :-)

Aquablue..thanks, I will give your recipe a try too and let you know how it works out. I love to try Grandmothers' recipes. :-)

pm2

• gigi_7
    16 years ago

I have been making this Date Nut Bread since I received the recipe from a friend in 1965 - the year we were married! I cannot imagine that there is one more moist or dense or delicious! Last week I made four loaves to have around for our Thanksgiving weekend guests. Even our youngest grandchildren love it!

DATE NUT BREAD

2 cups chopped dates
    1 cup strong hot coffee
    1 tsp. baking soda
    1/2 cup butter
    1 cup sugar
    2 eggs
    2 cups flour
    1 tsp baking powder
    1/2 cup chopped walnuts
    1 tsp vanilla
    1 tsp nutmeg
    1/2 of a 27-ounce jar mincemeat

Soak dates in hot coffee and baking soda until cool. Cream butter, sugar, and eggs. Add flour and baking powder. Stir in date mixture and remaining ingredients. Bake in large greased loaf pan for 1 hour at 350* or until done.

A double recipe makes 3 10-inch loaves. Makes great gifts!

• kathyskitchen
    16 years ago

It seems we all have fond memories of this bread. Here's a similar variation baked in cans but am sure 2 loaf pans 9" X 5" would work filled half full and baked till loaves starts to pull away from the sides of the pan. I want to try Gigi's idea of using coffee instead of water next time. I've made this recipe for over forty years. Very easy and delicious.

Date Nut Bread

Generously grease 6 cans, (14 to 15 ounce veggie size)

Sprinkle

2 teaspoons baking soda over

1 pound of chopped dates.

Pour

2 cups boiling water over dates and let cool.

Cream

2 cups sugar with

1/2 cup butter

Add

2 eggs

1 teaspoon vanilla

1/2 teaspoon salt

Mix well

Stir in

4 cups flour alternately with date mixture

Do not over beat.

Fold in

1 cup nuts, chopped coarsely or just halved.

Fill 6 well greased cans half full.

Bake at 325 degrees for about 1 hour.

Cool in cans for 10 minutes then remove from cans till cool.

Store in cans.

I like it chilled, sliced and spread with cream cheese.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well...more recipes to try! I have stalled with my recipe trying since we have so much food leftover from Thanksgiving that is just about finishing up now. I will have to try one of these recipes for Christmas.

Gigi...coffee and mincemeat...I really want to try that one too. I have never had mincemeat so it will be an adventure.

kathy...about the only cans we buy are whole tomatoes for sauce. I imagine those would work? Otherwise, I will try them in a loaf pan and let you know how it works out.

It might take me awhile to try out all these recipes. Maybe I could try them for gifts for the holidays?

Thank you all very much!
    :-)
    pm2