Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
trudymom_gw

LOOKING for: Tried and True Green Bean Casserole Recipe?

trudymom
16 years ago

Looking for something different than green beans and cream of mushroom soup. Any ideas?

Thank you!

Comments (7)

• glenda_al
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Made this, last weekend, and everyone loved. DS, who doesn't generally eat green beans, went for seconds.
    None left!

Lemon pepper green beans

INGREDIENTS
    1 pound fresh green beans, rinsed and trimmed **bought organic green beans that were already cleaned and trimmed, and microwaved in their bag, per instructions.
    2 tablespoons butter
    1/4 cup sliced almonds
    2 teaspoons lemon pepper **thought 1 tsp was ample!

DIRECTIONS
    Place green beans in a steamer over 1 inch of boiling water. Cover, and cook until tender but still firm, about 10 minutes; drain.
    Meanwhile, melt butter in a skillet over medium heat. Saute almonds until lightly browned. Season with lemon pepper. Stir in green beans, and toss to coat.

• ginger_st_thomas
    16 years ago

Not exactly a casserole but very good:

GREEN BEANS & PEPPERS (serves 6)
    24 fresh pearl onions
    1 1/2 lbs fresh green beans, sliced diagonally
    3 TBL extra virgin olive oil
    1 medium red bell pepper, thinly sliced
    1 medium yellow bell pepper, thinly sliced
    1 medium green bell pepper, thinly sliced
    1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    Salt & pepper to taste
    Parmesan cheese for garnish

Blanch the onions & drain; remove the skins. Blanch the beans; drain. Heat the olive oil in a skillet until hot. Add the bell peppers. Saute just until tender. Stir in the beans, onions, vinegar, garlic, salt & pepper. Cook just until heated through. spoon into a serving bowl. Garnish w/freshly grated Parmesan & serve immediately.~~Texas Ties

• woodie
    16 years ago

Green beans are not on my list of favorites so I always have to dress them up for myself. Here are some of my favorite recipes but I don't have any casserole recipes!

Haricots Verts With Goat Cheese And Warm Bacon Dressing

3 lb haricots verts (or regular green beans), trimmed

1/2 lb bacon slices, cut into thin strips
    1/2 c chopped shallots (about 3)
    2 garlic cloves,chopped
    1/4 c Sherry wine vinegar
    3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
    1 teaspoon dry mustard
    1/2 cup olive oil

1 c crumbled soft fresh goat-cheese (about 4 ounces)
    1/2 c fresh pomegranate seeds (optional)

Cook beans in water until tender crisp. Cook bacon until crisp. Saute shallots and garlic in drippings until soft. Add vinegar and mustard. Whisk in oil. Toss beans with dressing top with cheese and bacon.

NOTE: I prefer this without the goat cheese and I also leave out the pomegranate seeds.

Make-Ahead Garlic Green Beans

Blanching the beans in salted boiling water and then shocking them in ice water (to stop the cooking process) proved to be the most consistent method of evenly cooking the beans.
    Cooked green beans can be held in the refrigerator for up to two days and then quickly reheated with a little water in a covered skillet when ready to use.
    We tossed the green beans with dry-roasted garlic and softened butter, with delicious results.

Gardenlad's Green Beans with Poppy Seed Dressing
    1 1/2 lbs green beans, tipped, tailed, and stringed if necessary.
    2 tsp poppy seeds
    1/4 cup olive oil
    2 tbls white wine vinegar
    2 tsp Dijon mustard
    1 tsp honey
    2 tbls minced shallot
    Salt & pepper to taste.
    Lightly steam beans until just tender. Set aside.
    Heat small skillet over medium low heat. Add poppy seeds and toast, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Transfer to a bowl and let cool.
    Add the oil, vinegar, mustard, honey, shallot, shat & pepper to the poppy seeds. Whisk until well blended.
    Warm dressing in a large skillet over medium heat. Add beans and toss to coat. Cook until beans are warmed through.

GREEN BEAN, PECAN, AND FETA SALAD
    (CindyMac)
    2 pounds fresh green beans, trimmed
    1 small purple onion, thinly sliced
    2-3 ounces crumbled feta cheese
    1 cup coarsely chopped pecans or walnuts, toasted
    6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
    2 tablespoons rice vinegar
    1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
    1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
    coarse salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
    CUT green beans into thirds, and arrange in a steamer basket over boiling water. Cover and steam 5-8 minutes or until crisp-tender. Immediately plunge into cold water to stop the cooking process; drain and pat dry.
    TOSS together green beans, onion, cheese, and pecans in a large bowl. Cover and chill 1 hour.
    WHISK together olive oil and next 5 ingredients; cover and chill 1 hour.
    POUR vinaigrette over green bean mixture, and chill 1 hour; toss just before serving.
    ~adapted from Southern Living magazine

• msmitoagain
    16 years ago

My husband won't eat casseroles, but he eats this one.

Green Bean Caserole
    from: Cotton Country Collection Cookbook by the Junion Charity League of Monroe, Louisiana
    3 cans french cut string beans - drained
    Garlic Powder to taste
    8 oz. sour cream
    1 can mushroom soup
    8 oz. velvetta cheese
    1 tub Ritz crackers - crushed
    2 tbsp. salted or unsalted butter - cut into very small cubes
    Put the drained green beans in to a 9 inch square baking dish that has been sprayed with non-stick spray. Sprinkle lightly with garlic powder. Mix soup and sour cream; pour over beans. Slice cheese and place on top. Cover with the cracker crumbs. Dot with the butter cubes. Bake uncovered at 375 degrees until hot, about 30 minutes. Serves 8 generously

• beebonnet
    16 years ago

Not T&T but looks really interesting and festive. I found this on a blog.

Pomegranate Glazed Green Beans & Portobellos

I craved a fresh and uber-quick side dish. This tasty veggie combo fit the bill.

3 cups green beans, trimmed
    1 large or 2 medium portobello mushrooms, cut into chunks
    extra virgin olive oil
    Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
    Trader Joe's Pomegranate Glaze [or balsamic vinegar], to taste

Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat and add in the green beans and portobellos. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Shake and cook until the veggies are crisp-tender. Pour the Pomegranate Glaze [enough to coat lightly] over the green beans and mushrooms, and toss to coat. Lower the heat to medium and cook until tender - or to your liking.

• posie4u
    16 years ago

This is the only one my family loves to eat. I have to make it every Thanksgiving.

A Fabulous Green Bean Casserole

3 can Blue Lake cut green beans, drained (I use whole green beans)
    1 10-oz jar sliced mushrooms, drained
    1 large onion, chopped
    cup butter
    ¼ cup flour
    1 cup whole milk
    1 cup heavy cream
    ¾ pound shredded cheddar cheese (I use 3 large handfuls)
    1 teaspoons soy sauce
    1 teaspoon MSG, optional (I use Accent)
    ½ teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
    ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    1/8 teaspoon Tabasco sauce (I use about 4-5 shakes out of the bottle)
    1 8-oz can water chestnuts, drained and chopped (I use 4-oz)

Put drained beans a baking dish. Place chopped water chestnuts on top of beans. Sauté mushrooms and onion in ½ cup butter. Add flour and mix thoroughly. Add black pepper and MSG. Measure milk and cream into 2 cup measuring cup; add soy sauce, MSG, Worcestershire sauce, and Tabasco sauce to milk; stir. Pour milk into flour mixture and stir thoroughly. Add cheese and stir to distribute. Pour over green beans in baking dish. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes. You can actually cook at a lower temperature for a longer period of time or vice versa; just watch and do not let get real brown.

You can also top with a mixture of bread or cracker crumbs and butter before baking. I just don't particularly care for it that way, because the gold from the cheese are so pretty. This is one of those dishes you can also prepare the day before, then just stick in oven before serving. I think it is actually better the second day.

• trudymom
    Original Author
    16 years ago

They all look so wonderful!!! Thank you!!

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!