Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
looking for: how to have a lot of gravy with turkey...

Posted by prairiemoon2 (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 14, 07 at 20:46

We are having company for Thanksgiving and in the past we sometimes find ourselves running out of gravy. I don't know why we never seem to have enough. The family is always looking for leftover gravy too, which goes without saying there is none of that either. So what are we doing wrong? We add stock to the pan when we roast the turkey and cover with foil and stock again when we prepare the gravy. It tastes good, but is not enough. Is there some way to make extra gravy?

Thanks very much..
pm2

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: looking for: how to have a lot of gravy with turkey...

Woodie posted a recipe on the Thanksgiving Help thread for make ahead gravy that makes two quarts - I suppose if you needed more than that you could increase quantities accordingly.

Here is a link that might be useful: Scroll down for Woodie's recipe

o

Becky, thanks a lot! I just looked at that 'Make Ahead Gravy' recipe of Woodie's and it looks like something I could try this year.

o

I have 3 turkey legs I just bought this morning. I'm getting ready now to cut 3 celery stalks into 1/4's; 1 large diced onion & 3 lg carrots cut into 1/4's. I saute them for a few minutes and add parsley, salt & pepper. Then I brown the legs into this mixture until brown on all sides. Then add water to more than cover the legs & veggies, add a hpg 2 Tbs of chicken soup base & simmer until legs are tender. I then freeze this mixture when cooled, until the day before the big day. (I also remove the meat from the legs & dice real fine & add to my broth for extra full flavor for the gravy.

o

Thanks Sharon, I am going to try to make some ahead this weekend. I hadn't thought of turkey legs too...

pm2

o

pm2...just make sure you use the glass jar of 'paste' soup base-not boullion cubes. It has a stronger, concentrated flavor-just don't add any salt until the broth is done. You'll find it on the soups row in the store-usually top shelf by the dry soup mixes. Also-you can save a couple of the legs when all cooked-to serve mixed in on your roasted turkey platter if you want to-just finely chop up 1 for the broth/gravy.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here