Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eileenlaunonen

RECIPE: Sweet Potato caaerole without marshmellow!!

eileenlaunonen
14 years ago

So my brothers have requested this for Thanksgiving but they hate Marshmellow.....any alternative suggestions would be appreciated....I done one or two variations in the past that went over so-so TIA

Comments (8)

• annova914
    14 years ago

Sweet Potato Casserole

4 large sweet potatoes
    1/2 cup granulated sugar
    1/2 stick butter
    1 Tablespoon Half & Half
    1 tsp vanilla extract
    Walnut or Pecan halves (optional)

Boil potatoes. Let cool; then peel and mash. Add butter, sugar, Half & Half, and vanilla. Whip mixture until smooth. Pour into casserole dish. Top with nuts (if using). Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes. (can be made ahead of time; bring to room temp before baking). Serves 4-6.

• Marilyn Sue McClintock
    14 years ago

My Mother's Recipe for sweet potato casserole. I make this once a month and take to our church dinner. I never come back with any left.

Martha's Sweet Potato Casserole

3 cups of cooked and mashed sweet potatoes
    a large tall can of sweet potatoes is also fine as well as fresh sweet potatoes
    2/3 cup white sugar
    2 eggs
    1 tsp. vanilla
    1/2 cup milk, I use evaporated milk full strength
    1/2 cup butter

I mash my potatoes in my food processor and then add each of the ingredients and process well. Then pour into a butter 9 x 13 pan or dish. Then add the following topping.

Topping

1 cup brown sugar
    1/3 cup flour
    1/3 cup butter
    1 cup chopped nuts, walnuts or pecans

The topping I mix in my food processor then add the already chopped nuts and sprinkle on top of the sweet potato mixture. Bake about an hour at 350. This can be made and frozen, then baked after it is thawed in your refrigerator for a day. It also can be baked the day before and just heated well the day you want to use it.

Sue

• eileenlaunonen
    Original Author
    14 years ago

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!

• dreamhouse1
    14 years ago

I'm with your brothers, love marshmallows, but not on my sweet potato. Here's our all time favorite...

4 medium to large sweet potatoes, cooked and peeled
    1/4 C sugar
    1 stick butter, melted
    2 large eggs
    1C milk
    1/2 t cinnamon (to taste really)

Preheat oven to 300. Mash potatoes. Mix in sugar, melted butter, eggs, milk and cinnamon. BAke in 9x13 for 30 minutes.

1 stick butter
    3/4 C brown sugar
    1 C to 1-1/2 C chopped pecans
    1 C crushed cornflakes

Melt butter and brown sugar. Add dry ingredients making sure they are well coated. Top casserole and bake another 10 minutes.

THE BEST!!

• graanieb
    14 years ago

Sweet potatoes go so well with roast turkey, chicken or other meat. Sweet enough by themselves so there is no need for much added sweetness- brown sugar and orange juice or applesauce/ juice or chopped apples should be enough.
    My daughter started liking it when I added more chopped nuts and cinnamon.
    Recipe can be played with and edited, given ingredients are in approximate amounts.
    This recipe is the one I've changed over the years, omitting marshmallows over 10 years ago.

SWEET POTATO BAKE-HEALTHY

(You'd not know it was good for you if I didn't tell you)

4 large or 5 medium size sweet potatoes, cooked, cooled, peeled and mashed
    1 apple ( or as many as you like), peeled, cored and chopped ( in ab. 1/2 in pieces) -opt
    1/2 c applesauce(unsweetened)
    1 c orange juice ,freshly squeezed or frozen concentrate
    1/2 c brown sugar- amount depending on the taste
    2-3 egg whites, well beaten ( not stiff )
    1 1/2 -2 tsp cinnamon ( part apple pie spice-opt) ,to taste
    1/2 c chopped walnuts ( or pecans or other nuts ),opt
    1-2 T unsalted butter, softened, opt
    1/4 c raisins, blueberries or other dry or fresh fruit/berries, all to taste, opt
    3/4 c (or in desired amount ) coarsely chopped walnuts or pecan halves for the top

Foil-line 12x8x2 inch baking pan. ( or lightly grease)
    Preheat oven to around 375 deg F.
    In a bowl, mix all the ingredients except the nuts for the topping. Spread in a prepared pan; sprinkle with walnut pieces or pecan halves; bake about 35 minutes or until light brown- nuts will start getting their distinct smell.
    Serve warm or cold , alone or with a bit of lite whipped cream. Serves ab. 8.

Suggestion: Make it into a PIE : Bake a 9" pie crust until golden \-light brown around the edges. Mix ingredients in a bowl \-adjust the amounts by about 1/4th or as you see it needed, spoon into a baked crust , top with nuts and bake at around 375 for 25 min or until done. Enjoy! Graanieb Bea
  • graanieb
    14 years ago

Forgot to add 1 tsp orange extract and /or 1/2 tsp vanilla, either or both as much as you like.
    Improvise. :)

• graanieb
    14 years ago

Instead of just pecans, here's one topping to make:

STREUSEL TOPPING

( all ingredients in approximate amounts, according to your tastes)

1/3 c brown sugar
    4 T flour
    1/2 t cinnamon
    4 T chopped walnuts or pecans
    3 T unsalted butter

Mix all together and blend with a fork or large spoon until crumble. Spoon over the Sweet Potato filling before baking.

Sweet Potato Bake----Suggestions/ Variations:

SWEET POTATO PIE: Fill unbaked pie shells ( two, if one, cut recipe for filling in about half); bake at around 350 deg for about 35 minutes or until done.

SWEET POTATO MUFFINS: Use either recipe above ( minus the topping), fill paper-lined muffin cups almost to the top; sprinkle with combined Streusel Topping ingredients and bake at around 350 deg for about 20 minutes.

You can cut the recipes in half or multiply, of course.

Cooked pumpkin, carrots or apples ( uncooked, chopped/sliced) or other can be added or substituted for sweet potatoes.

Very versatile recipes, always trying different ways...and next one I make won't be exactly as any of these.

Now we need Roasted Turkey Recipes, don't we?

best wishes,
    Bea