Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
prairiemoon2

LOOKING for: Help, guest that doesn't like chocolate...

Hi,

We will be having a guest that doesn't like chocolate. Everyone in the house is very chocolate centered, when it comes to a dessert. [g] Therefore most of my recipes have chocolate in some form or other. I would really like to please this guest and am at a loss of what particular recipes or flavors I could try for. Would anyone have a really special tried and true dessert that they could recommend that I could attempt? Or is there someone here who also does not like chocolate that can make recommendations?

Comments (10)

• lindac
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

How about as flan? Cheese cake? Carrot cake, Apple pie? Cherry Pie? Pumpkin pie? Key lime pie? Lemon pie? Bacardi rum cake?
    The list really is endless.
    Linda C

• ginger_st_thomas
    16 years ago

UPSIDE DOWN LEMON CUPS (serves 6)
    1 cup sugar
    3 TBL flour
    Pinch of salt
    Juice & grated zest of 1 large lemon
    1 TBL melted butter
    2 egg yolks, slightly beaten
    1 cup milk
    2 egg whites, beaten stiff

Preheat oven to 350. In a mixing bowl, combine the sugar, flour, salt, lemon juice & zest, melted butter, egg yolks & milk. Fold in the egg whites. Divide the mixture among 6 greased custard cups & set them in a pan of hot water. Bake 30-35 minutes. cool & chill. Remove the custards from teh cups to serve, turning them upside down.~~Jr League of Dallas Cookbook

PRALINE CHEESECAKE WITH PECAN SAUCE
    Crust:
    1 1/4 cups graham cracker crumbs
    1/4 cup granulated sugar
    1/4 cup pecans, chopped & toasted
    4 TBL butter, melted
    Preheat oven to 350°. Combine the crumbs, sugar & pecans in a bowl. Add the melted butter & mix well. Press the crumb mixture over the bottom & 1 1/2" up the sides of a 9" springform pan. Bake 10 minutes.

Filling:
    Three 8 oz pkg cream cheese, softened
    1 cup packed brown sugar
    2/3 cup evaporated milk
    2 TBL flour
    1 1/2 tsp vanilla
    3 eggs
    1 cup pecan halves, toasted

Beat together the cream cheese, brown sugar, evaporated milk, flour & vanilla. Add the eggs & beat just until blended. Pour into the hot baked crust. Bake 50-55 minutes. Cool in the pan 30 minutes, loosen the sides of the springform & remove the rim. Cool completely. Arrange the pecan halves on top of the cheesecake.

Pecan sauce:
    1 cup dark brown sugar, packed
    2 TBL cornstarch
    2 TBL butter
    1/2 cup broken pecan pieces

In a saucepan mix the brown sugar & cornstarch. Add 1 1/2 cups of water. Bring to a boil & stir over medium heat until thickened & bubbly, about 5 minutes. Stir in the butter & add the pecans. Serve the sauce on the side in a sauceboat.~~

LEMON BREAD PUDDING (serves 12)
    Lemon Curd
    3 eggs + 1 yolk
    1 cup sugar
    Finely grated zest of 2 large lemons
    1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
    1 stick unsalted butter in 1" pieces

In the top of a double boiler beat the eggs, yolk & sugar to mix. Stir in the zest & juice. Add the butter. Place over hot water on moderate heat. Cook uncovered, stirring & scraping the pan frequently with a rubber spatula for 15-20 minutes until the mixture is as thick as mayonnaise. It will register 180° on a sugar thermometer. Remove the otp of double boiler & set aside to cool, stirring occasionally. Will keep, refrigerated for several weeks.

Bread Pudding
    One 8-10 oz loaf French bread
    10 large eggs
    1 1/4 cups sugar
    1 qt milk (I use half & half)
    1/4 tsp salt
    1 1/2 tsp vanilla
    Lemon curd

Butter a shallow oblong 3 qt baking dish (13x8 or 9x2") & set aside. Preheat oven to 350°. Slice the bread 1/2" thick. Place slices on cookie sheet & bake 10-15 minutes until dry but not brown. Turn slices over when half done. Set aside.

In a large bowl beat the eggs & 1 cup of the sugar (reserve other 1/4 cup.) Beat in the milk, salt & vanilla. Set aside. In the bottom of the baking dish place a layer of the bread slices touching each other. If necessary, break a few slices to fill in spaces. Spread 1/2 of cooled lemon curd over bread. Make a 2nd layer of bread slices, these slices at right angles to the first slices. Break off a few slices to fill in if necessary. Spread remaining curd over the top.

Ladle egg & milk mixture slowly all over the top. Let stand at room temp. for 1 hour. Put rack in center of preheated oven. Sprinkle remaining 1/4 cup sugar over top of pudding. Place baking dish in a large shallow baking pan, place in oven & pour hot water into outside pan to about 1/2 the depth of the baking dish. Bake about 45 minutes until top is puffed & just barely colored. Tap the side of the baking dish & when the middle moves only slightly, it's done. Serve hot or at room temp. Serve w/raspberry sauce: puree a bag of frozen raspberries, strain out seeds & sweeten to taste.~~

From Marlen:

Arroz con Leche - Gladys Style
    (Cuban Rice Pudding)

1/2 cup valencia rice (donÂt rinse) or arborio
    1 can condensed milk
    1 vanilla bean, split
    4 cups water (3 and 1)
    Pinch of salt
    Lemon rind - 2 pcs- about 2"xx2"
    Raisins to taste

Boil 3 cups water. Add rice, vanilla bean and salt for 15 minutes. Rice should not be overly soft. Add condensed milk, 1 cup water and lemon rind. Cook 30 minutes stirring often. Add raisins. Do not allow rice to become dry. When cold, it thickens. Pour into molds. Sprinkle with ground cinnamon.

• woodie
    16 years ago

I'm one of those non-chocoholics myself, while I do enjoy chocolate sometimes, it drives me crazy when there isn't anything that isn't chocolate to eat - like at any of my family's gatherings, LOL.

CINNAMON PUDDING CAKE

Posted by craftyrn (My Page) on Mon, Feb 17, 03 at 0:38
    I got this recipe out of our local newspaper recipe request column a few years ago--very handy recipe as it uses only ingredients most people have in their "pantries"-I've added sliced apples on occasion-as a bottom layer--but I like it best without the apples-just a plain tasty dessert ( also makes a great breakfast LOL ).

1 3/4 c. brown sugar
    1 ½ c. cold water
    2 Tbsp. Butter 1 c. milk
    1 c. sugar
    2 Tbsp. Butter
    2 c. flour
    2 tsp. Baking powder
    ½ tsp. Salt
    2 ½ tsp. Cinnamon
    ½ c. chopped walnuts ( optional )

Preheat oven to 350° Combine brown sugar, water & 2 Tbsp butter in small saucepan, bring to a boil, remove from heat & set aside. Cream together 2 Tbsp. Butter and sugar, add milk, then add flour, baking powder, salt & cinnamon.Spread in ungreased 9 x 9 x 2 in. Pan or oven proof dish. Pour reserved brown sugar syrup over batter-sprinkle with nuts. Bake 35-40 min.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I forgot to mention this is my first time posting to this forum. This is really fun and helpful. I see lots of people are posting late and early, so I am pleasantly surprised to wake up to more posts this morning and it isn't even 9am yet..lol.

Well it looks like I found some great recipes and already see a few I can try. Thank you all very much! I think this will be a great thread for anyone in the same boat, so looking forward to everyone's contributions.

Thanks! pm2

• Nancy
    16 years ago

This recipe is easy & wonderful,
    Apricot Nectar Cake Mix 1 box Duncan Hines butter cake mix with 1 stick melted butter, ½ cup sugar, 1 cup apricot nectar replacing the water indicated on the box, then add the other ingredients requested on box. Put in greased bundt pan, bake at 325 about 40 min. Leave in pan, shaking slightly.
    Make a glaze by heating 1 ½ cup confectioners sugar & 1/3 cup apricot nectar and spoon over cake and around edges in pan. Let stand several hours or overnight before turning out onto a cake plate.

• annova914
    16 years ago

Cream Cheese Almond Squares

½ cup butter or margarine, softened
    2 tsps sugar
    2 Tbsps milk
    ½ tsp grated lemon rind
    1-1/3 cups all purpose flour
    2 (8 oz) packages cream cheese, softened
    1 cup sugar
    1 egg slightly beaten
    1 tsp grated lemon rind
    1 cup chopped almonds, toasted
    1 cup sifted powdered sugar
    1 Tbsp water
    1 tsp ground cinnamon
    Toasted sliced almonds (optional)

Combine first 4 ingredients; beat until light and fluffy. Add flour; mix well. Press mixture into the bottom of a 9" square baking pan; set aside.

Combine next 4 ingredients; beat until smooth. Stir in chopped almonds; pour mixture over layer in pan. Bake at 300 degrees for 1 hour and 10 minutes or until set.

Combine powdered sugar, water and cinnamon; mix well. Spread over hot mixture; let cool. Chill 3-4 hours; cut into squares. Garnish with toasted sliced almonds, if desired. Yield: 2-1/2 dozen.

Source: Southern Living Magazine

magazine note says great for buffets/stand up get togethers as they are easy to pick up and eat. (I put the dividers in as it helped me keep sections to be mixed straight!!) These are very, very good as dessert or anytime:) I second the Apple Crisp suggestion - there's nothing like hot apple crisp and vanilla ice cream (I use extra cinnamon...if I can find my recipe I'll post it...very simple but very delicious). Ann

• annova914
    16 years ago

I found my apple crisp recipe. It's just the basics but I've always loved it.

Apple Crisp
    5-6 Granny Smith apples, peeled and thinly sliced
    1-1/2 tsps cinnamon
    1/2 cup water
    1 cup sugar
    3/4 cup flour
    7 Tablespoons butter

Fill 8"x8" baking dish with apple slices. Sprinkle cinnamon over apples. Pour water over all.

Topping: work together the sugar, flour and butter until crumbly (can use 2 table knives). Spread over apples.

Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks..ngraham..apricots with a glaze sounds good..and the almonds with cream cheese..nice flavor combo, Ann. Thanks for your Apple Crisp recipe because the last time I looked for one I couldn't find mine.

Thanks a lot.. :-) pm2

• vschlaff
    14 years ago

coconut rice pudding
    3 cups of milk
    1 1/2 cup cold cooked rice
    2/3 c sugar
    1/4 tea coconut extract
    1 tea vanilla extract

I have tried this recipe many times to get it to turn out how I like it. First, I like to use one cup of whole milk, one cup of half n half and one cup of heavy cream. I feel this adds texture and flavor to the cream. I also use jasmine rice because it is very sticky after it is cooked and tends to make the rice thicken easier. I use a good stainless sauce pan, and start timing on med heat for 40 min. you stir this constantly. As it boils, you want a nice simmer/ slow boil. adjust the temp to your own stove. This is my favorite recipe, and Ive tried many and they didn't turn out for me. this one does. I love it, and hope you will also.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    14 years ago

VSChalaff....thanks so much for adding this recipe to the thread. I will hold onto it for the holidays. BTW, that guest that didn't like chocolate is not dating one of our kids any more :-(, but my kids do love coconut! Thanks! :-)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!