Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roselin32

RECIPE: Christmas Cookies

roselin32
15 years ago

Think we are late getting this one started this year but I seem to be late choosing the ones I want to try.

Have found one in the Land 'o Lakes magazine and made Gingersnaps from a Penzey's catalog today that I really liked. Will type them up and post them.

Anyone else want to share their favorites this year?

RL`

Comments (26)

• roselin32
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Almost forgot about these....they are the only Spritz Cookies I have really enjoyed making and they come out great every time.
    Flossie's Spritz Cookies
    2 1/4 c flour
    3/4 c sugar
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/4 tsp baking powder
    Mix all well
    Cream:
    1 c butter
    1 egg
    1 tsp extract
    Combine all and put thru cookie press on ungreased baking sheet
    DO NOT refrigerate-if too soft add 1-2T flour
    Bake 8-10 minutes
    RL`

• ginger_st_thomas
    15 years ago

Odd you mentioned Penzey's because I made their Peanut Butter cookies last week when I got the catalog. I really liked the recipe & might get their magazine, One.

PEANUT BUTTER COOKIES (6 dozen)
    1 cup butter, (2 sticks) softened
    1 cup granulated sugar
    1 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
    2 eggs
    1 TBL vanilla
    1 cup peanut butter, creamy or chunky
    3 cups flour
    2 tsp baking soda
    Dash salt
    1/2 cup vanilla sugar or granulated sugar to roll cookies in, optional

Preheat oven to 375°. Lightly grease 2 cookie sheets & set aside. Cream together the butter & sugars. Beat in the eggs & vanilla. Add the peanut butter & mix until well blended. Sift together the flour, baking soda & salt. Add to the creamed mixture & mix until blended well. Roll dough into 1" balls. At this time roll the balls in sugar, if desired. Place on the cookie sheets, 12 to a sheet. Using a fork flatten the cookies with a criss-cross pattern. Put 2 pans in the oven at a time. Bake 8 minutes for chewy cookies or 10 for crispy cookies, switching the pans, top to bottom-bottome to top after half the baking time.~~Penzey's.

• lisbet
    15 years ago

Springerle Cookies:
    1/2 teaspoon * baker's ammonia (Hartshorn)
    2 tablespoons milk
    6 large eggs, room temperature
    6 cups powdered sugar (1 - 1 1/2 #)
    1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened but not melted
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon oil of anise, lemon or any other flavor
    2 lb. box sifted cake flour (Swansdown or Softasilk)
    grated rind of orange or lemon - optional (enhances flavor of the traditional anise or the citrus flavors)
    more flour as needed
    Recipe Directions: Dissolve hartshorn in milk and set aside. Beat eggs till thick and lemon-colored (10-20 minutes). Slowly beat in the powdered sugar, then the softened butter. Add the hartshorn and milk, salt, preferred flavoring, and grated rind of lemon or orange, if desired. Gradually beat in as much flour as you can with the mixer, then stir in the remainder of the 2 lbs. of flour to make stiff dough. Turn onto floured surface and knead in enough flour to make a good print without sticking. Follow general directions for imprinting and drying cookies. Bake on greased or baker's parchment-lined cookie sheets at 255° to 325° till barely golden on the bottom, 10-15 minutes or more, depending on size of cookie. Store in airtight containers or in zipper bags in the freezer. They keep for months, and improve with age. Yield 3 to 12 dozen.
    Variations: Try various flavors, such as almond, or add lemon or orange flavoring to dough. To make them really special, brush melted bittersweet chocolate on the bottoms. This goes great with orange flavored cookies.

Hartshorn or Baker's Ammonia:
    *(a.k.a. Ammonium Carbonate) An old-time leavening unexcelled for any cookies, producing an especially light, delicate texture. Hartshorn and baking powder can be used interchangeably in cookie recipes. DoughÂs made with Hartshorn store well and its leavening action is only triggered by heat, not moisture. Not affected by age, but will evaporate! There'll be an ammonia smell during baking, but not in your cookies!

Here is a link that might be useful: Springerle

• teresa_nc7
    15 years ago

Here are two of my favorites:

Lemon Pecan Stars - a shortbread type cookie

1 1/2 cups (3 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temp
    1 cup confectioner's sugar
    2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
    1/2 cup finely chopped pecans
    1/2 t. salt
    1 t. vanilla
    4 TB finely grated lemon zest
    3-4 TB granulated sugar

Cream butter and sugar well. Add flour, pecans, salt, vanilla, and zest. Mix well. Gather into 2 balls, wrap in waxed paper and chill 4 hours.

Work with 1 portion: roll out to 1/2-inch; use small or medium star cutter, cut cookies; put 1-inch apart on an ungreased sheet (I always use baking parchment) and sprinkle with the granulated sugar.

Chill sheets 45 minutes. Preheat oven to 325 F. Bake one sheet at a time 20 minutes. Cool cookies on a rack. Store in an airtight container until ready to serve.

Makes about 66 cookies.

Date Whirls - make-ahead cookie to freeze before baking
    Filling:
    1/2 lb. pitted dates
    1/4 cup sugar
    1/4 cup water
    1 t. lemon juice
    1 TB butter
    1/4 cup chopped pecans

Filling: combine dates with sugar and water. Simmer 5 minutes. Stir in lemon juice and 1 TB butter. Cool and add nuts.

Cookie dough:
    1/2 cup butter (1 stick)
    1 1/4 cups packed brown sugar
    1 egg
    2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
    1/2 t. soda
    1/4 t. salt

Cream butter with brown sugar; beat in egg. Stir flour with soda and salt then add to creamed mixture.

Chill cookie dough for 30 minutes. Divide dough into two parts and pat into 2 rectangles on a piece of lightly floured waxed or parchment paper. Make rectangles about 12" long.

Spread half of date mixture on each piece of cookie dough. Roll up on long side. Wrap in waxed paper or foil. Overwrap the rolls with foil. Seal, label and date. Keep up to 6 months.

To bake: unwrap rolls and let dough partially defrost. Cut into thin slices. Place on greased cookie sheet or parchment paper cover sheets. Bake at 400 F for 10 minutes.

• roselin32
    Original Author
    15 years ago

From Penzey's........good but I will double the recipe next time...only got 3 1/2 dozen and that doesn't last long here.
    Great Grandma Moog's Gingersnap Cookies
    2c flour
    2 tsp baking soda
    1/4 tsp salt
    3/4c shortening
    1c sugar
    1 large egg
    1/4c molasses
    1 tsp ginger
    1 tsp cinnamon
    1/2tsp cloves
    1/3c sugar to roll dough in
    Sift flour, baking soda, and salt together; set aside.
    Beat shortening and sugar well.......add egg, molasses, and spices.Combine all ingredients except 1/3c sugar and mix til large ball forms. Chill for 2-24 hours. Preheat oven to 350°...roll dough into walnut sized balls and roll in sugar. Bake on ungreased baking sheet for 15 minutes. Let set for one minute before removing from baking sheet.
    Yield 3 1/2 dozen.

• tobygirl
    15 years ago

My grandkids love these, probably because there's no fruits or nuts.

SNICKERDOODLES

1 1/4 cups sugar
    1 cup unsalted butter, softened
    3 egg yolks, lightly beaten
    1 tsp. vanilla
    2 1/2 cups flour
    1 tsp. baking soda
    1/2 tsp. cream of tartar
    1/4 tsp. salt
    1/4 tsp. nutmeg (optional)
    cinnamon-sugar (for rolling)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease two cookie sheets, or use parchment paper. Cream sugar and butter together until light. Beat in yolks and vanilla. Sift together flour, soda, cream of tartar, salt and nutmeg (if using), then fold into the butter-sugar mixture. Form dough into walnut-size balls. Roll in cinnamon-sugar. Place 2" apart on cookie sheets. Do not flatten. Bake for about 12 minutes, until tops are cracked and just turning color. Makes about 4 dozen.

• roselin32
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Toby, these are good too:
    Eggnog Snickerdoodles Yields 4 dozen
    2 3/4c flour
    1 1/2c sugar
    1c butter
    2 eggs
    2 tsp cream of tartar
    1 tsp baking soda
    1/4 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp brandy extract
    1/2 tsp rum extract
    1/8 tsp nutmeg
    Sugar mix:
    1/4c sugar
    1tsp nutmeg
    Mix, chill, shape into balls. Roll in sugar mix
    Bake 8-10 minutes at 375°. And I always double the recipe!!

And this is one from Land O Lakes that I am taking to my son's for Christmas
    Peanut Brittle Cookie Sticks
    2/3c Land O Lakes butter, softened
    2/3c packed brown sugar
    1T milk
    1 1/3c all purpose flour
    1/4 tsp baking soda
    1c dry roasted salted peanuts, chopped finely
    2/3c milk chocolate English toffee bits
    Preheat oven to 350° and line with aluminum foil extending over edges. Spray with non-stick spray.
    Combine buter, brown sugar and mil, and beat until creamy.
    Add flour and baking soda and then stir in peanuts.
    Press into prepared pan and sprinkle evenly with toffee bits. Bake for 17-18 minutes or til golden brown and set.
    Cool 10 minuts. Lift out of pan while stil warm and cut into 2x1" sticks. Remove from foil to cooling rack and cool completely.
    48 cookie sticks.
    RL`

• rosewitch
    15 years ago

This is one of the many cookies I make every year.

Raspberry Almond Shortbread Thumbprints (3-1/2 dozen)
    (from Land O`Lakes, Inc.)

Cookie
    1 cup butter, softened
    2/3 cup sugar
    1/2 tsp. almond extract
    2 cups all-purpose flour
    1/2 cup raspberry jam

Glaze
    1 cup powdered sugar
    2 to 3 tsp. water
    1-1/2 tsp. almond extract

Combine butter, sugar and 1/2 tsp. almond extract in large mixer bowl. Beat at medium speed, scraping bowl often, until creamy. Reduce speed to low, add flour. Beat until well mixed (2 to 3 minutes). Cover and chill dough at least 1 hour.

Shape into 1 inch balls. Place 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheet. With thumb make indentation in center of each cookie and fill with 1/4 tsp. jam.

Bake 14 to 18 mins or until edges are lightly browned. Let stand 1 min; then remove from cookie sheet. Cool completely.

Stir together all glaze ingredients in small bowl with wire whisk until smooth. Drizzle over cooled cookies.

*My sister is allergic to almonds, so I always a batch for her using this same recipe with vanilla extract and have tried other jams and used lemon curd one year. Never had a cookie left!

Kat

• tobygirl
    15 years ago

Thanks, Roselin, I will definitely try that recipe for Eggnog Snickerdoodles.

What size pan for the Peanut Brittle Cookie Sticks?

• roselin32
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Oops.......9x13
    RL`

• sally_grower
    15 years ago

I've made these for many years and they are really good. Perfect for decorating. If the dough is kept cold until they are cut out, they hold their shape well.

Cut Out Sugar Cookies

1-½ cups powdered sugar sifted
    1-cup margarine
    1 egg
    1 tsp vanilla
    ½ tsp almond extract
    2-½ cups flour sifted
    1 tsp crème of tartar
    1 tsp baking soda
    ½ tsp salt

Cream sugar and butter; add egg and flavorings. Mix thoroughly. Sift dry ingredients together and stir into sugar mixture.

refrigerate 2-3 hours.

Divide dough in half and roll ¼ to ½ inch thick. Cut into shapes.

Bake @350 degrees for 10 minutes.

Do not over bake. Do not brown

Yield: 2 dozen

• dottieq
    15 years ago

One of my favorites:

Apple Cookies

1 tsp. baking soda
    1/2 tsp. salt
    1 tsp. cinnamon
    1 tsp. ground cloves
    1/2 tsp. freshly ground nutmeg
    2 c. flour
    1/2 c. butter
    1 1/3 c. brown sugar
    1 egg
    1 c. chopped nuts
    1 c. chopped apples
    1/4 c. milk or apple juice
    Glaze: 1 1/2 c. confectioners sugar, 1 T. soft butter, 2 1/2 T. cream or milk, 1/4 tsp. vanilla

In large mixing bowl, cream butter, sugar and egg. Mix flour, spices salt and soda and add alternately with juice or milk to creamed mixture. Fold in nuts and chopped apple. Drop by teaspoonful on greased baking sheet. Bake 400 degrees 11 min. or at 375 14 min. Cool and apply glaze.

• fluffed
    15 years ago

These aren't all cookies but I make these every Christmas. The fudge recipe I actually got from this site about 10 years ago!

BAILEY'S IRISH CREME FUDGE (follow directions exactly)
    4 1/2 C sugar
    1 12oz can evaporated milk
    1/2 lb butter
    2 12oz pkg milk chocolate chips (Ghiradelli preferred)
    2 12oz pkg of semisweet chocolate chips (Ghiradelli preferred)
    2 7 oz jars marshmallow cream
    2 tsp vanilla
    2/3 C Bailey's Irish Creme
    2 C chopped pecans

Set chocolate chips, marshmallow cream, vanilla, Baileys and nuts in a VERY LARGE bowl. Set aside. Bring butter, sugar and milk to a boil and then cook slowly for 11 minutes, sirring constantly. Pour milk mixture over teh other ingredients and stir slowly to blend. DO NOT USE MIXER. Pour into a buttered 9x13 or 10 x 15 pan and chill very well.

I always put waxed paper in my pans and dump the whole thing out to slice in square and I always need more than one pan. This makes a HUGE amount of fudge.

BROWN SUGARED PECANS

1 egg white
    1 C brown sugar
    1 tsp vanilla
    2 C pecan halves

Humidity seems to affect these.
    Preheat oven to 225. Beat egg white until stiff. Gradually add brown sugar while beating. Stir in vanilla and pecans. Drop one at a time (I use my hands) onto well greased cookie sheet. Bake until light brown - about ONE HOUR. Remove from oven. Cool. Store in air tight container.

HUMDINGERS

I never tell people what is in these until after they say they love them. I tend to cut them into TINY bit sized cubes.

1/4 lb butter
    2/3 C sugar
    8 oz chopped dates
    2 C puffed rice cereal
    1 C finely chopped pecans
    confectionary sugar

Melt butter in saucepan and add sugar and dates. Bring to a boil and cook until the dates fall all to pieces. Remove and add cereal and nuts. Mix well and mash in a flat pan. Cut into pieces and toss in confectionars sugar.

• lisbet
    15 years ago

http://whatscookingamerica.net/Cookie/Pizzelles.htm

Italian Pizzelle
    Here is the recipe I use. It results in delicate, crisp pizzelles every time. I do not try to double up the recipe, but rather make two batches, seperately.
    3 eggs, beaten
    ¾ cup sugar
    ¾ cup butter or margerine, melted
    1½ cup sifted flour
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    ½ teaspoon vanilla
    ½ teaspoon anise extract
    1 teaspoon anise seeds, crushed, or anise oil (this is my own addition)
    Add and beat ingredients together in order listed. Drop by rounded spoonful onto center of preheated grid. Close lid immediately clip handles together. Allow to cook until steaming stops -- about 30 to 60 seconds. Remove with fork. Allow to cool on wire rack or towels. (While hot, may be rolled into cylinder or shaped into cone.) Dust with powdered sugar. Store in airtight container.
    VARIATIONS: Lemon Pizzelle..... omit vanilla and anise seed. Add 2 teaspoons lemon extract and 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel to Basic Recipe.
    Chocolate Pizzelle..... mix 3 tablespoons cocoa and 3 tablespoons sugar. Add to Basic Recipe.
    Nut Pizzelle..... add 1-1/2 cups very finely chopped or ground nuts to Basic Recipe or to Chocolate Pizzelles.
    The above recipe came with my Rival Pizzelle Maker.
    When there is no longer steam rising from the pizzelle maker, the cookie is ready to be removed from the iron.
    ==========================================================================
    Another version: (Given to me by a good friend)
    6 eggs
    1 cup sugar
    ¾ cup melted butter or margarine
    3 cups flour
    3 teaspoons baking powder
    3 teaspoons anise extract
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1 cup Anisette Liqueur

Received no specific mixing instructions with this recipe. Follow proceedure given with recipe above.

• roselin32
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Lisbet, the lemon pizelles sound really good......will give those a try.
    Thanks.
    RL1

• chase_gw
    15 years ago

Peppermint Bark

1 Lb bittersweet chocolate
    8 Drops peppermint oil (must be oil NOT extract or the chocolate will seize)
    1 Lb chopped white chocolate
    3/4 Cup chopped candy canes

Line a 11 X 17 inch baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside

Melt bittersweet chocolate in a heavy pan over low heat, stirring constantly. Stir in 4 drops of peppermint oil. Spread evenly over pan and chill for about 1 hour.

Melt white chocolate in a heavy pot over low heat, stirring constantly. Stir in remaining 4 drops of peppermint oil and then add in candy cane.

Spread white chocolate over chilled dark chocolate, spreading to the egde of the pan. Chill 4 hours.~

Refrigerate just until just before serving then break into pieces. Will keep in the fridge for 3 weeks ( yeah right!!! LOL) ~

• roselin32
    Original Author
    15 years ago

nanny98,
    Am putting your recipe here so that I can copy this whole thread.......hope you don't mind. I love them.
    Pfeffernusse Cookies

Cream together .........1 ½ C Margerine, l ½ C Sugar
    Beat in.................½ C Molasses
    Add to the Butter mix...¼ C Brandy (or milk)1 tea vanilla, 8 drops of anise oil. (A tsp of extract)

Sift together ..........5½ C flour
    l tea Baking Powder
    ½ tea Baking soda
    2 tea cinnamon
    ½ tea each cloves and black pepper

Combine ingredients together. Line a 13x9 pan with parchment or wax paper. Press (the original said pound)
    dough into pan. Refrigerate overnight (or longer)Remove
    pan & paper. Cut into strips 1½" wide. Slice ¼" thick. Place on cookie sheet and bake 350 for about 10 min. Coat cookies in powdered sugar. Store in air tight container. They are best if aged a week or two. This does make many cookies and you will find that changing the thickness of the slices changes the flavor a bit.

• woodie
    15 years ago

RICOTTA CHEESE COOKIES

2 cups sugar
    1 cup margarine or butter (2 sticks) softened
    1 container (15 ounces) ricotta cheese
    2 teaspoons vanilla extract
    2 large eggs
    4 cups all-purpose flour
    2 tablespoons baking powder
    1 teaspoon salt

1 1/2 cups confectioners sugar
    3 tablespoons milk
    colored sugar crystals

1. Preheat oven to 350º. In large bowl, with mixer at low speed, beat sugar and margarine or butter until blended. Increase speed to high; beat until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. At medium speed, beat in ricotta, vanilla and eggs until well combined.

2. Reduce speed to low. Add flour, baking powder and salt; beat until dough forms.

3. Drop dough by level tablespoons, about 2 inches apart, onto ungreased large cookie sheet. Bake about 15 minutes or until cookies are very lightly golden (cookies will be soft). With pancake turner, remove cookies to wire rack to cool. Repeat with remaining dough.

Mix remaining ingredients and frost the cookies. Sprinkle colored sugar on them while the icing is still soft.

(WoodieÂs note - heavy dough, use Kitchen Aid.
    Make these for Easter and tint the frosting pink or light green.)

• roselin32
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Woodie, does this recipe make a lot of cookies? I need to make cookies to take to Denver next month. Think they would travel good in the car?

• woodie
    15 years ago

RL, this recipe makes 6 dozen.

(Funny thing is that my recipe which is cut out from a magazine doesn't indicate how many it makes, but on the other Christmas cookie thread that is running now also, LOL, Brenda posted the same exact recipe and that's how many she said the recipe makes - funny how the same recipes pop up again and again, all the good old favorites.)

• iris_gal
    15 years ago

bump

• pat_t
    15 years ago

New additions for me this year:

OKEECHOBEE BOBBERS

Moist coconut and a touch of orange add tropical flavors to these rich butter cookies.

2 cups granulated sugar
    1 cup butter, softened (no substitutes!)
    3 large eggs
    1 tsp. baking powder
    1 tsp. salt
    1-1/2 tsp. orange extract
    1 tsp. vanilla extract
    3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
    1 cup flaked coconut
    1 Tblsp. finely grated orange zest

Heat oven to 350° F. Combine all ingredients except flour and coconut in large mixer bowl. Beat at low speed, scraping bowl often, until creamy (2 to 3 minutes). Stir in flour and coconut by hand until well mixed (2 to 3 minutes).
    Drop dough by rounded teaspoonfuls 2 inches apart onto greased cookie sheets. Bake for 8 to 12 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Makes 5 dozen cookies.

Recipe courtesy of Land O Lakes®.

SPICY CARDAMOM CRISPS

These Scandinavian spice cookies are great to have with a fresh brewed cup of coffee.

1-1/3 cups sugar
    1 cup butter, softened
    1 egg
    2 Tblsp. dark corn syrup
    1 Tblsp. water
    1 tsp. vanilla
    3 cups all-purpose flour
    1-1/2 tsp. baking soda
    3 tsp. ground cardamom
    1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
    1/2 tsp. allspice
    1/4 tsp. ground cloves
    Sliced almonds

Combine sugar and butter in large bowl. Beat at medium speed, scraping bowl often, until creamy. Add egg, corn syrup, water and vanilla; beat until well mixed. Reduce speed to low; add all remaining ingredients except almonds. Beat until well mixed.

Divide dough into thirds. Shape each third into 1/2-inch thick squares. Wrap each square in plastic food wrap. Refrigerate until firm (1 to 2 hours).

Heat oven to 375° F. Roll out dough, one-third at a time, on lightly floured surface (keeping remaining dough refrigerated), to 12x10-inch rectangle. Cut into 2-inch squares using pastry cutter or sharp knife; cut squares diagonally in half to form triangles.

Place 1 inch apart onto ungreased cookie sheets. Lightly press almonds into center of each cookie. Bake for 7 to 9 minutes or until edges are very lightly browned and cookies are set. Yield: 7-1/2 dozen cookies.
    © 1997 Land O'Lakes, Inc.

• roselin32
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Bumping this one back up too

• roselin32
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I need to bump this up again because somehow I missed the apple cookies and they sound like something my husband would like a lot.

• roselin32
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The annual bump up!

• Joan Dupuis
    8 years ago

Just came across this post. Bump.

Sponsored
River Mill Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Delaware County's Customer Focused General Contractor