Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
benflower

RECIPE: Best of the Best - Sorry

benflower
15 years ago

Sorry- I didn't mean to offend anybody-- maybe what I asked was inappropriate.

Comments (7)

• becky_ca
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I don't think you need to apologize. I was a little taken aback at the abrupt responses you got to your initial request, to be honest. You may get more response if you post a specific request - appetizer, main dish, dessert, etc.

I will be posting some family favorites on your original thread.

Becky

• dottieq
    15 years ago

I agree with Becky. That being said, I think your kids would like a cookbook filled with their favorite recipes of yours they've eaten over the years ...that's what brings back the memories. I must tell you how much I admire you for doing this. I started the same thing many years ago but before I got it to the kids, I found myself grabbing the book and looking for a recipe because it was so convenient for me to have all my favorite recipes in one place. They never did get the cookbook and it has since grown into three books. So keep on with the project. I'm going to bed now...will contribute two of my kids favorites as soon as I get a chance.

• ginger_st_thomas
    15 years ago

You didn't offend so don't let a response or two keep you away. I agree with dottieq that recipes you like would be more precious to the recipients, though.

• ginger_st_thomas
    15 years ago

Try these two old standbys of mine. If you like them, then feel free to include them.

FRENCH DIP SANDWICHES (serves 8 )
    2 cups water
    1/2 cup soy sauce
    4 whole peppercorns
    1 tsp dried rosemary
    1 tsp dried thyme
    1 bay leaf
    1 tsp garlic powder (had none so used 1 minced garlic clove)
    3 lb boneless beef chuck roast, trimmed
    8 French or sourdough rolls, split

Combine water, soy sauce, peppercorns, rosemary, thyme & garlic in a slow cooker, stirring until well blended. Place roast in cooker & cover.
    Cook on high for 5-6 hours or until beef is tender. Remove meat from broth & shred with a fork. Serve beef on rolls. Pour broth in small bowls for dipping.~~ Good topped with Swiss cheese or sauteed onions, peppers or both. I like mustard on the rolls, too.~~

ITALIAN BEEF
    One 3-4 lb roast beef (rump roast or sirloin tip)
    1 jar pepperochini peppers, juice & all
    1 can beer
    1 can beef bouillon
    Combine all ingredients in a large crockpot. Cook on high 30 minutes; reduce heat to low. Cook until beef is tender. For supper, start cooking before work. If you want it for luch cook at bedtime.)
    Remove meat from juices, slice thinly & return to pot. Serve on hoagie buns & dip sandwiches in juice.~~

• roselin32
    15 years ago

You certainly didn't offend me......think it is great that you want to include "BEST" recipes.
    My husband's favorite:
    Angel Biscuits
    5-6 c flour
    1pk yeast+2 T warm water
    1/4c sugar
    1 tsp salt
    1tsp baking soda
    1T+1 tsp baking powder
    1 c Crisco
    2 c buttermilk
    Combine 3c flour,sugar, salt, soda, and baking powder. Cut in Crisco until size of small peas. Add yeast that has been softened in warm water and buttermilk. Stir all well and knead in enough flour to make a nice soft dough that forms a ball and holds together. Put in a plastic bag and refrigerate til needed. When ready to bake`, roll dough until about 3/4" thick, cut with biscuit cutter and bake in preheated 400 oven until nicely browned. Dough does not need to rise before baking.
    Gee Whiz fact-I let the dough set on a floured board after adding most of the flour for 10 minutes covered with a towel and it kneads easier. And too, you may not need all of the flour

Another favorite:

Beef Enchilada Casserole
    2 lbs. ground beef
    1T oil
    3T chili powder
    1 1/2 tsp salt
    2 tsp oregano
    2T paprika
    1/3c flour
    1Qt tomato sauce
    1/2c water
    1 1/2-2 dozen corn tortillas`, cut in quarters
    Cheddar cheese
    chopped onion
    2 small cans green chilies
    Brown beef in oil and add chili powder, salt, oregano, paprika and flour. Stir well; add liquids and chilies and simmer for ten minutes.
    In a large baking dish, place a layer of meat sauce and cover with tortillas. Add approximately half of the remaining sauce and top with a really generous sprinkling of onions and cheese. Cover with remaining tortillas and remaining sauce. Top with more onions and cheese. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or til bubbling and very hot. Can be made a day ahead and then heated when ready to serve.
    Serves 10.
    Source:"How to Keep Him Cookbook".

One of my "go to" recipes:

HUNGARIAN GOULASH OVER NOODLES

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1 lb. beef, cut into cubes2 tbsp. brown sugar3 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce6 tbsp. ketchup3 tbsp. flour2 med. onions, minced1 1/4 tsp. paprika1 1/4 tsp. salt3/4 tsp. vinegar1 1/2 c. water1 (6 oz.) pkgs. Skroodles (or any kind of noodles)Brown meat on all sides in fry pan; add onions. Combine paprika, brown sugar and salt. Combine Worcestershire sauce, vinegar, ketchup; add to meat; add 1 cup of the water; stir; cover. Cook over low heat 2 1/2 hours or until meat is very tender. Blend flour with remaining 1/2 cup water; add to meat mixture; stir until thickened. Boil noodles in salted water until tender; drain. Serve meat mixture over noodles. Serves 6.

Great appetizer:
    Marinated Mozzarella
    1 lb fresh domestic mozzarella
    1/2 c olive oil (I use the lite)
    2 large cloves garlic, pressed
    10 coarse grinds black pepper
    2/3 tsp red pepper flakes
    1/2 tsp oregano
    1/4 tsp salt- less if using
    4 anchovy fillets, rinsed and minced
    Drain cheese of all brine. Cut in cubes. Whisk together all remaining ingredients. Toss with cheese.
    Yield: about 4 cups
    RL`

When I need something a bit different:
    Spinach Topped French Bread
    1 10 oz pk chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
    1/2 tsp garlic powder
    2c shredded Cheddar Cheese
    2c shredded` Mozzarella cheese
    1/2c butter, melted
    1 loaf French Bread cut in half lengthwise
    Combine first 5 ingedients in a large bowl; stir well. Spread mixture evenly on bread halves. Place on ungreased baking sheet and bake uncovered at 350° for15 minutes or until cheese melts.
    Yield: 8 servings
    From America's Best Recipes

Feel free to use any or all of them.
    RL

• annova914
    15 years ago

These are some of my family's favorites. Ann

Key Lime Pie
    1 (9") crust (ready to serve) (Keebler shortbread crust is my favorite :)
    Filling:
    3 egg yolks
    1/2 tsp lime zest (grated fine)
    1 (14 oz) can sweetened condensed milk
    1/2 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
    Topping:
    1/2 pint heavy whipping cream, chilled
    1/2 tsp vanilla extract or vanilla sugar
    1 Tbsp confectioners' sugar (or more, to taste)
    In electric mixer with whisk attached, beat the egg yolks and lime zest at a high speed until fluffy, about 5 minutes. Gradually add condensed milk and continue to beat until thick, 3-4 minutes. Lower speed and slowly add the lime juice, mixing just until combined, no longer. Pour mixture into the pie crust.
    Bake for 10 minutes or until the filling has set. Cool on a wire rack, then refrigerate.
    Topping: Whip the cream, vanilla extract or vanilla sugar, and the confectioners' sugar until nearly stiff. Spread over pie. Serve.

Easy Cheesy Chili Chicken

2 T extra virgin olive oil
    2 T chopped fresh cilantro, plus a few whole leaves for garnish
    1 T chili powder
    1 T ground cumin
    1/2 tsp kosher salt
    1 garlic clove, chopped
    Adobo seasoning-few shakes
    ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
    1/16 tsp cayenne pepper
    A few squirts of fresh lemon juice
    2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts (I cut into thirds)
    ¼ cup julienned green or red bell pepper
    2 T diced red onion
    1 to 2 medium plum tomatoes, cored & diced
    4 oz (or more) shredded Mexican blend cheeses in bag
    Lime Wedges

Preheat oven to 400. Line sheet pan with aluminum foil.

Whisk together the oil, chopped cilantro, chili powder, cumin, salt, garlic, adobo seasoning, pepper, cayenne, & lemon juice in a bowl; add the chicken and toss to coat. (at this point you can place in zip-lock bag and refrigerate overnight)

Transfer the chicken to the foil-lined baking sheet & arrange the green &/or red pepper, onion and tomatoes over each. Roast until the largest piece is just cooked through, and an instant-read thermometer inserted in the thickest part reads 165 F, about 20 minutes.

Remove chicken from the oven and immediately top with the cheese. Transfer the chicken to a platter & garnish with fresh cilantro leaves & lime wedges. Serve as the cheese melts.

Can use a little less or low fat cheese but GS states it needs the cheese.

Yield: 4 servings 8oz each: 455 calories; 20 g total fat; 8 g sat fat; 5 g carbs

This recipe is adapted from a George Stella recipe (I just made a few changes like adding the fresh lemon juice and adobo seasoning which I think makes it taste better). Ann

This recipe makes the most wonderful sauce for a ham. Adjust ingredients for a smaller ham. So easy but sooo delicious!

Montes Ham

1 (15 lb) smoked ham, on the bone
    1-1/2 cups orange marmalade
    1 cup Dijon mustard
    1-1/2 cups firmly packed brown sugar
    1 rounded tablespoon whole cloves

Heat oven to 300 degrees. Cut off the ham's tough outer skin and excess fat and discard.
    Put ham in a large roasting pan. With a long, sharp knife score it, making crosshatch incisions all over the ham about ½" deep and 1 inch apart.

Roast the ham on the lower middle level of the oven for two hours. Remove it from oven, increase heat to 350 degrees and make the glaze.

For the glaze, stir together the orange marmalade, mustard and brown sugar in a medium-size bowl. Stud ham with cloves, inserting one at the intersection of each crosshatch. Brush entire surface of ham generously with glaze (reserving some glaze) and return ham to the oven.

Cook ham 1-1/2 hours more, brushing with glaze at least 3 times. Transfer ham to a cutting board or platter & allow it to rest for about 30 minutes. Carve and serve warm or at room temp.

Source: Saveur Cooks Authentic American.

A friend gave me this recipe years ago and I eventually added the marshmallows which we love.

Sweet Potato Casserole

4 large sweet potatoes
    ½ cup granulated sugar
    ½ stick butter
    1 Tbsp Half & Half (or more if it needs thinning)
    1 tsp. Vanilla extract
    Walnut or pecan halves
    ½ cup Brown sugar
    1/3 bag Miniature Marshmallows

Boil, peel & mash sweet potatoes. Add butter, granulated sugar, Half & Half. Then add vanilla. Whip potato mixture in electric mixer until smooth. Pour into casserole dish; swirl in brown sugar and about 1/3 bag of miniature marshmallows. Top with walnut or pecan halves.

Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes. (Recipe can be made ahead and refrigerated. Bring to room temperature before baking.)

Note: I have also added the miniature marshmallows towards the end of the baking time so that theyre partially intact/melted. This is delicious!

• BeverlyAL
    15 years ago

Please don't apologise, absolutely no offense taken here. I posted recipes on the other thread.

Beverly

Sponsored
Cabido Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
DC & Montgomery County's Best in Full Service, Custom Home Remodeling