Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eileenlaunonen

LOOKING for: what to do with sweet potato besides....

eileenlaunonen
16 years ago

potato pie or the traditional marshmellow toppped thingy...Please help this is of course for Thanksgiving

Comments (12)

• glenda_al
    16 years ago

This is a family favorite for holidays!
    Baked Sweet Potatoes with maple-jalapeno sour cream

Rub oil and salt on 4 scrubbed, sweet potatoes and dried
    Place on rack and take 450 for 40-45 minuts or until soft (I wrap mine in foil)

Topping
    Combine
    1/2 c sour cream
    1 Tbl maple syrup
    2 tsp seeded and minced jalapeno ***I use canned minced green chiles, drained
    1 tsp lime juice
    salt and tobasco to taste
    chill

Serve potatoes with:
    maple-jalapeno sour cream
    bacon bits
    sliced scallions

----------------------------------------
    Mother used to mash her sweet potatoes and stuff hollowed out oranges. I loved it when she made those!

• ginger_st_thomas
    16 years ago

SWEET POTATO SOUFFLE (serves 8)
    1 TBL butter
    1 lb sweet potatoes, boiled & peeled (4 medium)
    1 1/2 cups light cream
    1/4 cup sugar or to taste
    1 tsp vanilla
    1/2 cup sherry
    Juice of 1 orante
    Grated zest of 1 orange
    Satl to taste
    4 egg yolks
    4 egg whites, beaten stiff

Preheat oven to 400°. Butter a shallow 2 qt baking dish. Press teh sweet potateos through a sieve or puree in a blender. In a mixing bowl, combine teh puree w/the butter, cream, sugar, vanilla, wine, orange juice, zest & salt. When cool, sitr the egg yolks, then lightly fold in the egg whites. Transfer to teh baking dish & bake about 40 minutes or until firm.~~Texas Tables

• lindac
    16 years ago

Wash and peel sweet potatoes and cut into wedges. Toss the wedges with olive oil and ground mild red chilis and garils powder and a bit of kosher salt...
    Bake on a foil covered baking sheet for 35 to 40 minutes until browned and tender.
    And of course just plain mashed sweet potato with butter and salt and pepper is better than wonderful!
    Linda C

• eileenlaunonen
    Original Author
    16 years ago

thanks!!

• carla35
    16 years ago

You can serve them as you would a baked potato in their jackets with cinnamon, butter and brown sugar on top.

Add a few splashes of boubon to most sweet casserole/souffle recipes for an extra kick.

Try a sweet potatoes au gratin recipe.

Not sure if it really would go with the rest of your menu, but sweet potato french fries are a different idea. In addion to salt they can be sprinkled with cinn/sugar. Kids may at least 'try' them.

• woodie
    16 years ago

I like Sara Moulton's Mother's method - mash sweet potatoes with butter and cream, S&P and mix in some chopped candied ginger.

• patti43
    16 years ago

My sister just sent me this one, but I'd already found it over at the Cooking forum (I think). It sure sounds good.

SWEET POTATO/BANANA CASSEROLE

6 pounds (about 6) sweet potatoes
    4 ripe bananas, skins on
    2 ounces (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, softened
    1 cup pure maple syrup
    ½ cup Brandy
    2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
    2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 pound pecans
    1/2 cup unsalted butter
    1 tablespoon salt
    2 tablespoons brown sugar
    Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
    Pierce the sweet potatoes with a fork and bake until tender, about 1 hour. Roast the bananas, with the skins on, for the last 15 minutes of cooking time. When cool enough to handle, peel the potatoes and bananas, and transfer to a food processor. Pulse until the potatoes are chunky.
    Add the butter and maple syrup, puree until smooth. Add the cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice and salt; puree to combine. Transfer to a shallow baking pan and smooth out the surface with a spatula.
    In a skillet, cook the pecans in butter over low heat and sprinkle with salt. Sauté until well-coated, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes. Transfer the pecans to paper towels to drain. Arrange pecans on top of puree and sprinkle with brown sugar. Bake at 300 degrees F until heated through, about 20 minutes.

• annova914
    16 years ago

Sweet Potato Casserole

4 large sweet potatoes
    ½ cup granulated sugar
    ½ stick butter
    1 Tbsp Half & Half (or more if it needs thinning)
    1 tsp. Vanilla extract
    Walnut or pecan halves
    ½ cup Brown sugar
    1/3 bag Miniature Marshmallows

Boil sweet potatoes until tender; peel & mash potatoes. Add butter, granulated sugar, Half & Half. Then add vanilla. Whip potato mixture in electric mixer until smooth. Pour into casserole dish; swirl in brown sugar and about 1/3 bag of miniature marshmallows. Top with walnut or pecan halves.

Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes. Recipe can be made ahead and refrigerated. Bring to room temperature before baking.

Note: I have also added the miniature marshmallows towards the end of the baking time so that theyÂre partially intact/melted. You can omit the brown sugar and marshmallows - it's great either way.

Ann

• sharon_fl
    16 years ago

Here's the one I make every Christmas:
    Sweet Potato Balls

3 lbs. cooked sweet potato
    1/3 c. melted margarine
    1 and 1/3 cup c. brown sugar
    1/2 c. melted margarine
    15 pecan halves
    1 and 1/4 tsp. salt
    1 tsp. grated orange rind
    4 c. corn flakes, crushed
    miniature marshmellows
    Mash potatoes until light and fluffy. Add seasonings. Chill potatoes & then, shape into small balls around 2-3 marshmallows. Dip ball in melted oleo and roll in crushed corn flakes. Top with a pecan half and bake 8-10 minutes at 450 degrees.

• KatieC
    16 years ago

This is what the kid asked for this year...

* Exported from MasterCook *

Sweet Potato and Caramelized Onion Casserole

Recipe By :Katie, Christmas 2000
    Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    2 large sweet potatoes -- peeled and thinly sliced
    2 large onions -- sliced
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    2 tablespoons butter
    1 tablespoon dark brown sugar

Drizzle onions with oil and cook on low heat until caramelized, stirring occasionally.

Layer 1/2 sweet potato slices in a shallow 1 qt. casserole dish. Cover with caramelized onions. Layer remaining sweet potato slices over onions. Dot with butter, sprinkle with brown sugar.

Bake, uncovered, at 350F for about an hour, or until casserole is browned on top.

We've made these for Thanksgiving and really liked them...

* Exported from MasterCook *

Sweet Potatoes in Orange Cups

Recipe By : Katie
    Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :2:00
    Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    6 medium sweet potatoes -- (2 1/2 lb), cooked, peeled and mashed
    4 large navel oranges
    6 tablespoons melted butter
    2 tablespoons grated orange peel
    1/2 cup orange juice
    1 egg -- beaten
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/2 cup light raisins

Cut oranges in half and scoop out pulp. Set the shells aside.

Add butter, grated orange peel, orange juice, egg and salt to potatoes and beat until light and fluffy. Stir in raisins. Mound filling in orange shells.

Wrap in foil. (Can be frozen at this point - thaw for 3 hrs.)

Bake at 325F for 50 minutes or until heated through.

• dreamhouse1
    16 years ago

Sweet Potato Crunch

6 C mashed sweet potatoes, 1 C sugar, 1 stick melted butter, 4 eggs (beaten), 1 C milk, 1 t vanilla, 1 t nutmeg, 1 t cinnamon. Mix, pour into 2 qt baking dish. Bake 25 minutes at 350. Add topping. Bake another 10-15.

Topping: Melt 1 C butter with 1 C brown sugar, 1 C chopped pecans and 2 C crushed corn flakes

This is sweet and crunchy and so so good. Goes great will the ham.

• chery2
    16 years ago

The Sweet Potato Balls would work with LEFTOVERS; would the others [already w/ crunchies in them, a bit soggy]? I guess I could put them in a crust and bake them and call it a pie?
    chery2