Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
LOOKING for: Poop on a shingle. The old Army kind

Posted by ole_dawg (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 15, 07 at 19:44

You know what I mean. I think the real name is dried chipped beef in white sauce. Please help to take back to those good ol days in the mess hall.

1eyedJack and the Dawg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: LOOKING for: Poop on a shingle. The old Army kind

I don't know if this is the old Army kind, but it is what my Dad loved. He was a Marine.

Creamed Chipped Beef

4 tbsp. margarine
4 tbsp. flour
2 cups milk (or 1 cup milk and 1 cup cream)
1 pkg. chipped beef

Melt margarine in medium saucepan. Add flour to make a roux.

Add milk and bring to a slow boil, stirring constantly. When thickened, add cut-up chipped beef. Serve over potatoes or toast.

Now that Dad's gone, I usually add some garlic and onion when I make it for us.

Linda

o

2 pkgs of dried beef (not the jars-too salty)
1/2 cup melted margarine or butter
1/2 cup + 2 TBS flour
3-4 cups of milk
salt, pepper
1/4 cup parmesan cheese

In a skillet..melt about 1/2 stick of butter. Add the shredded dried beef (I tear it up into bite size pieces)-and 'frazzle it' (like stir fry)-for 1 minute.

Remove from skillet & add the milk...heat until almost to a boil.

While milk is heating-add the flour to your bowl of melted butter & whisk quickly-making a roux.

When milk is almost to a boil-add the roux & whisk until smooth over medium heat. Once thickened to gravy consistency-add the parmesan cheese. Season to taste.

o

I make mine the AF way.......with hamburger meat, a white sauce seasoned with a little garlic salt, pepper and good to go. Had it every day I was stationed at Lackland with 2 slices of toast, SOS, and topped with bacon slices.
It is also good made with sausage.......like Jimmy Dean.
I serve it on angel biscuits and to my husband, that is a gourmet meal made in heaven.
RL`

o

I do it with the white sauce....but sautee about 2 T grated onion in the butter before I add the flour and finish by adding a couple of Tblsps grated parmesan cheese....
I love it!...and so unhealthy!!
Linda C

o

Just FYI - Ken was in the Navy and his SOS was like Roselin's with hamburger - the other was called (at least on his minesweeper) "foreskins on toast" :)

o

I, too, use the Air Force recipe. Here is the one I have used for years. I obtained this recipe while living in Germany. It was in a military magazine. The timeframe was in the early 1970s. Everyone who has had it loves it.

Air Force SOS
Serving Size : 6

1 1/2 pounds ground beef
1/2 cup flour
dash pepper
2 teaspoons beef flavored instant bouillon
3/4 cup dry milk
3 cups warm water
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce

Brown beef in its own fat in skillet. Drain off excess fat. Add flour, pepper, salt and bouillon to beef; mix thoroughly and cook about 5 minutes or until flour is absorbed. Reconstitute milk; add to beef mixture. Add Worcestershire sauce; heat to a simmer, stirring frequently until thickened.

o

Woodie, I thought I had heard it all but..........Ken's name was new to me and will never buy dried beef again!! LOL.
Posie, where were you in Germany? We were in Wiesbaden for 3 years and loved it. Went back last Christmas and wish I could go back again this year for the Christmas Markts. Loved them.

o
sos

Sorry, RL, hehe. No joke, that's what they called it, Ken didn't name it, that's what it was called on his ship! And, BTW - we like Stouffer's :)

o
Roselin32, I was born in the US. My husband was career ...

Air Force. We were station at Spangdahlem Air Base in the Eifel Mountains. Loved it!

o

Posie, have been to Spang many times. I was TDY to Bitburg for several months too. Great area. My husband's boss was at Ramstein so we used to go there often too. Loved all of Europe.

o

Ahhh..An echo from my childhood.......it used to be my favorite!!
My Dad used to make this when he cooked for a group of law enforcement troopers.

But why such an unappetizing, dreadful name!!! I like to think of it as creamed dried beef on toast. It's really a tasty dish and undeserving of it's bad reputation nicknames!!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here