Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ole_dawg

LOOKING for: Poop on a shingle. The old Army kind

ole_dawg
16 years ago

You know what I mean. I think the real name is dried chipped beef in white sauce. Please help to take back to those good ol days in the mess hall.

1eyedJack and the Dawg

Comments (11)

• bessiedawg
    16 years ago

I don't know if this is the old Army kind, but it is what my Dad loved. He was a Marine.

Creamed Chipped Beef

4 tbsp. margarine
    4 tbsp. flour
    2 cups milk (or 1 cup milk and 1 cup cream)
    1 pkg. chipped beef

Melt margarine in medium saucepan. Add flour to make a roux.

Add milk and bring to a slow boil, stirring constantly. When thickened, add cut-up chipped beef. Serve over potatoes or toast.

Now that Dad's gone, I usually add some garlic and onion when I make it for us.

Linda

• sharon_fl
    16 years ago

2 pkgs of dried beef (not the jars-too salty)
    1/2 cup melted margarine or butter
    1/2 cup + 2 TBS flour
    3-4 cups of milk
    salt, pepper
    1/4 cup parmesan cheese

In a skillet..melt about 1/2 stick of butter. Add the shredded dried beef (I tear it up into bite size pieces)-and 'frazzle it' (like stir fry)-for 1 minute.

Remove from skillet & add the milk...heat until almost to a boil.

While milk is heating-add the flour to your bowl of melted butter & whisk quickly-making a roux.

When milk is almost to a boil-add the roux & whisk until smooth over medium heat. Once thickened to gravy consistency-add the parmesan cheese. Season to taste.

• roselin32
    16 years ago

I make mine the AF way.......with hamburger meat, a white sauce seasoned with a little garlic salt, pepper and good to go. Had it every day I was stationed at Lackland with 2 slices of toast, SOS, and topped with bacon slices.
    It is also good made with sausage.......like Jimmy Dean.
    I serve it on angel biscuits and to my husband, that is a gourmet meal made in heaven.
    RL`

• lindac
    16 years ago

I do it with the white sauce....but sautee about 2 T grated onion in the butter before I add the flour and finish by adding a couple of Tblsps grated parmesan cheese....
    I love it!...and so unhealthy!!
    Linda C

• woodie
    16 years ago

Just FYI - Ken was in the Navy and his SOS was like Roselin's with hamburger - the other was called (at least on his minesweeper) "foreskins on toast" :)

• posie4u
    16 years ago

I, too, use the Air Force recipe. Here is the one I have used for years. I obtained this recipe while living in Germany. It was in a military magazine. The timeframe was in the early 1970s. Everyone who has had it loves it.

Air Force SOS
    Serving Size : 6

1 1/2 pounds ground beef
    1/2 cup flour
    dash pepper
    2 teaspoons beef flavored instant bouillon
    3/4 cup dry milk
    3 cups warm water
    1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce

Brown beef in its own fat in skillet. Drain off excess fat. Add flour, pepper, salt and bouillon to beef; mix thoroughly and cook about 5 minutes or until flour is absorbed. Reconstitute milk; add to beef mixture. Add Worcestershire sauce; heat to a simmer, stirring frequently until thickened.

• roselin32
    16 years ago

Woodie, I thought I had heard it all but..........Ken's name was new to me and will never buy dried beef again!! LOL.
    Posie, where were you in Germany? We were in Wiesbaden for 3 years and loved it. Went back last Christmas and wish I could go back again this year for the Christmas Markts. Loved them.

• woodie
    16 years ago

Sorry, RL, hehe. No joke, that's what they called it, Ken didn't name it, that's what it was called on his ship! And, BTW - we like Stouffer's :)

• posie4u
    16 years ago

Air Force. We were station at Spangdahlem Air Base in the Eifel Mountains. Loved it!

• roselin32
    16 years ago

Posie, have been to Spang many times. I was TDY to Bitburg for several months too. Great area. My husband's boss was at Ramstein so we used to go there often too. Loved all of Europe.

• lisbet
    16 years ago

Ahhh..An echo from my childhood.......it used to be my favorite!!
    My Dad used to make this when he cooked for a group of law enforcement troopers.

But why such an unappetizing, dreadful name!!! I like to think of it as creamed dried beef on toast. It's really a tasty dish and undeserving of it's bad reputation nicknames!!!

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH