Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
RECIPE: Green Beans with Caramelized Onions

Posted by teresa_nc7 (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 27, 08 at 19:22

I made this recipe today for our Thanksgiving Dinner and it is really good! I did not include the bacon as my niece was with us and is a vegetarian, but the bacon would be a great addition....come on! it's bacon!

This easy and delicious recipe was found on a Southern Living forum.

I cooked fresh green beans for about 12-15 minutes in boiling salted water.

Green Beans and Carmelized Onions

2 lg onions cut into one half inch thick wedges (or rings)
1 1/2 - 2 lbs green beans whole or french cut (can use frozen) [I used fresh]
3 T red wine vinegar
1 1/2 T packed brown sugar
salt and pepper
4-6 slices bacon

In large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove bacon and drain on paper breaking into small pieces. Pour off all but 2 Tbsp bacon grease and add onions. turn heat to medium low and cook, stirring often for 35-40 minutes or til very soft. [I cooked the onions in about 2 TB olive oil and 1 TB butter.]

Meanwhile cook green beans in salted water as desired. Keep warm.

When onions are very soft and brown, add in the brown sugar and vinegar, stir well. Increase heat to med high, add beans which have been drained. Cook off any liquid and add bacon. Toss lightly and season with salt and pepper.

[I kept these hot in an oven casserole covered with foil in a 225 F oven for about an hour while we had some wine and cheese.]

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: RECIPE: Green Beans with Caramelized Onions

Thanks, Teresa - copied and saved!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here