Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
LOOKING for: Recipes using Sourdough Starter

Posted by twinbush (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 29, 11 at 19:00

I've been looking for some good ways to use my sourdough starter.

I would also like any ideas on how to make a softer (less dense than artisan bread) bread with sourdough starter. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: LOOKING for: Recipes using Sourdough Starter

Here is a good recipe for Sourdough English Muffins

Sourdough English Muffins from "Sourdough Cookin'" by Dean Tucker,

1 cup sourdough starter (after being fed and left to expand for several hours)
2 1/2 cups unbleached bread flour
3/4 cup buttermilk
1/4 cup yellow cornmeal
1 t. baking soda
1/2 t. salt

Take buttermilk and starter from refrigerator at least 30 minutes before preparing recipe.
When all ingredients are at room temp, combine and stir well. Turn dough onto a lightly floured board or work surface and knead until smooth or knead about 5 minutes in a heavy duty mixer such as a Kitchen Aid or Bosch, adding a little more flour if necessary.
Roll dough to 1/2-inch thickness and allow to rest for 10 minutes. Cut with a floured 3 or 4-inch round floured biscuit cutter. You can use a very clean tuna can with both ends cut out if need be. Sprinkle 2 TB cornmeal on a sheet of waxed paper. Place muffins on cornmeal and press lightly to coat each side.
Cover with plastic wrap and a clean towel and let rise for 1 hour. Cook muffins on a lightly greased griddle heated to 350 (or a medium low burner) for 20 minutes (or less-see my note), turning occasionally while cooking.
When done, split and butter and toast, then spread with honey or your favorite jam, jelly, or cream cheese.
Recipe makes 10-12 muffins.

Note: you can sub 1 cup whole wheat flour for 1 cup of the unbleached if you want whole wheat muffins.
I made a note that mine took only 6-7 minutes per side to bake on a lightly greased cast iron griddle.

Teresa

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here