Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
earl_gw

RECIPE: Poor Man's Oyster Stew

earl
15 years ago

I make what I call Poor Man's Oyster Stew. It's the same as I make oyster stew but instead of oysters I use a 14 oz. can of Salmon. Was wondering if anyone else made something similar but different so I could do a change up every once in awhile.

I saute about 1/2 cup each of chopped onion and bell pepper in butter until tender then add the picked over salmon then milk to cover well, with salt and pepper to taste. Then bring to a simmer and serve.

Comments (2)

• woodie
    15 years ago

Here are a couple of recipes that you might enjoy, Earl. I must say that the chowder recipe isn't something that I personally enjoyed, but our cousin and my Ken just loved it - so maybe somebody else would too - I don't know where he got the recipe from. The Etoufee from CindyMac is just outstanding!

Crawfish Ãtouffée
    =================
    Posted by Cindy_Mac, June/2002
    I used fresh Prawns.
    Makes 4 to 6 servings

1/4 cup butter or margarine
    1 medium onion, chopped
    2 celery ribs, chopped
    1 medium-size green bell pepper, chopped
    4 garlic cloves, minced
    1 large shallot, chopped
    1/4 cup all-purpose flour
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/2 to 1 teaspoon ground red pepper
    1 (14 1/2-ounce) can chicken broth
    1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
    1/4 cup chopped fresh chives
    2 pounds cooked, peeled crawfish tails (or shrimp)
    Hot cooked rice
    Garnishes: chopped fresh chives, ground red pepper

MELT butter in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion and next 4 ingredients; sauté 5 minutes or until tender. Add flour, salt, and red pepper; cook, stirring constantly, until caramel colored (about 10 minutes).
    Add next 3 ingredients; cook, stirring constantly, 5 minutes or until thick and bubbly. Stir in crawfish; cook 5 minutes or until thoroughly heated.
    Serve with rice. Garnish, if desired. Prep: 35 min., Cook: 30 min.

ARNIE'S NEW ENGLAND FISH CHOWDER
    1 pound cod
    4 cups skim milk or regular
    2 cups peeled diced potatoes
    1/2 tsp.salt
    2 tbs. of margarine or butter
    1 cup sliced leek (white part only)
    1 cup frozen baby green peas
    2 tbsp. finely chopped parsley
    1/8 tsp. white pepper
    1 tbsp. fresh lemon juice

Rinse fish and pat dry. Cut into 1 inch pieces and set aside.

In a large saucepan over medium heat, combine milk potatoes and salt. Cover and cook for 25-30 minutes.

In a small nonstick skillet melt butter. Add leeks and saute until limp. Set aside.

Remove 1-cup potatoes and 1-cup liquid from saucepan, place in blender and process until smooth.

Return potatoes and liquid juice to pan over medium high heat. Add sauteed leeks, fish, peas, parsley, pepper and lemon juice. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes or until fish is done.

• Suzanne Watkins
    5 years ago

My grandmother made what she called Poor Man’s Oyster Soup with eggplant. There were no oysters just eggplant but it tasted exactly like oyster soup and was cheaper to prepare!